Author Topic: Wrenching fail / win. Inspection counts.  (Read 412 times)

Online beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12214
  • Membership Level: Active
Wrenching fail / win. Inspection counts.
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:02:19 am »
After adjusting valves and re-installing the cover, one of the rubber washers disappeared into the bike.  I heard it fall, but didn't see it.  It was GONE.  Looked for about an hour.  While looking I found that my rear coolant log bolts had backed out, and the log was about to fall right off.  Tightened it up with locktite and it went back in fine.  Eventually found the washer and got everything buttoned up.  Sharing for the close call.

Offline Runner

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12660
Re: Wrenching fail / win. Inspection counts.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:36:31 pm »
I guess we've all had those
"Whew!" moments, especially when finding an impending disaster.

I know that it's always nice to be able to share the ... ah, good news with others, as well.

Good on yer!  :great:

Ed

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:41:01 pm »
I just had a similar incident. I was tearing into the Versys to check the valves and noticed the throttle pull cable only had about three strands intact. This was a few days before an upcoming 11-1200 mile trip. Ordered up two throttle cables from Partzilla on Sunday, arrived Tuesday. Awesome.

Also, the valves were right where I left them 22k miles ago.  :great:

:beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:55:46 pm »
I just had a similar incident. I was tearing into the Versys to check the valves and noticed the throttle pull cable only had about three strands intact. This was a few days before an upcoming 11-1200 mile trip. Ordered up two throttle cables from Partzilla on Sunday, arrived Tuesday. Awesome.

How many miles on that puppy now Steve?
2014 C-14

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:36:22 am »

How many miles on that puppy now Steve?
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
IBA 19221

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:45 pm »
You're keeping her busy.
2014 C-14

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:12:37 pm »
I'm trying.
IBA 19221

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 12:21:51 am »
I had one of those curved washers on top fall somewhere, and while I had spares, I had no idea where it was, and it could have ended up in the valve train.

After searching for an hour or so, it was hidden very well behind some valves and rockers -- it's a damn good thing I didn't give up!!!!

Online beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12214
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 01:30:59 am »
I had one of those curved washers on top fall somewhere, and while I had spares, I had no idea where it was, and it could have ended up in the valve train.

After searching for an hour or so, it was hidden very well behind some valves and rockers -- it's a damn good thing I didn't give up!!!!
After an hour of no success finding it, the valve cover come back off to look in the non-plausible space.  I heard it fall, but didn't see it was above the just-installed cover.  I found the washer seconds after removing the cover.   :truce:  I'm 200% more experience at valve cover re-installs now.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 03:39:34 pm »
The key is to stop looking. I lost my tablet recently. I thought for damn sure it was in my car, but after cleaning the car out, no tablet. It's impossible to miss, its a big 10 inch white samsung with a white case. Nothing I own is that big and white. I even went so far as to call verizon to see if it had been used lately because it may have been stolen. Looked all around the house for 2 days and gave up. The next morning, I was rooting around in the trunk of the car, what did I find? Tablet. Happens every time.  :))
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 04:08:35 pm »
The key is to stop looking. I lost my tablet recently. I thought for damn sure it was in my car, but after cleaning the car out, no tablet. It's impossible to miss, its a big 10 inch white samsung with a white case. Nothing I own is that big and white. I even went so far as to call verizon to see if it had been used lately because it may have been stolen. Looked all around the house for 2 days and gave up. The next morning, I was rooting around in the trunk of the car, what did I find? Tablet. Happens every time.  :))

I have a Morgan Carbtune that I somehow managed to lose somewhere in the house/garage/truck. I searched every square inch, so it seems. Hope it turns up like that!