Author Topic: You ain’t lived…….  (Read 731 times)

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
  • Membership Level: Active
You ain’t lived…….
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:21:37 pm »
………..  until you have to clear ALL the water out of a Connie tank in prep for a proper POR-15 treatment, or any like treatment as the case might be.

My OEM tank is getting really ratty looking, externally. Clear pieces of vinyl I stuck on years ago (by water surface tension only) to prevent scratches has melded itself into the paint and is causing it to lift over a wide area of the knee area. I forget the name of the product. It worked, but the long term effects aren’t so good. Oddly enough, the RH side only was affected. One place up high there is a pronounced rust spot about ¼” dia., but it’s not all the way through. I saw the spot and removed the bra, only to find the places where the paint was lifted. I’ve coated the spot, and am looking for a local to take care of cleaning and painting the entire tank. The tank I’m treating now is a pretty decent one I found on eBay from a ’92 model. A “friend” has a brand new ’95 tank in a box, but he’s been waffling on striking up a deal to let it go.

I stuck it up on the bike the other day just to see what it’d look like, and might just leave it be after I’m done with the treatment. Don't think it looks all that bad.

Got out as much water that was evident by daubing it with Scott shop towels wrapped on a length of dowel, and a heat gun. Have it “baking” out in the 90 deg. sun now to cook off the rest that may be lurking in some nook and cranny somewhere. Being black, it is getting pretty toasty. Hope to finish it up later this evening once it cools off and I make a final check to make sure it's all gone.

Always something, eh?
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
Re: You ain’t lived…….
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:40:48 pm »
I think I could live with that.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 08:11:24 pm »
I think I could live with that.

You've been around for awhile, so perhaps you'll remember the piece I did in my column on the problem a Mike Shelton had with his '92 tank. It was basically "moth-eaten" from rust-thru, and once he got that straightened out he was kind enough to provide all the part numbers to swap out the vacuum petcock with a manual one from Pingel.

Anyway, I was a little nervous about the condition of this tank, but the seller assured me it was basically clean, except for a couple of scrapes where it sits just behind the steering head. And that's the way it was. I can touch those up.

At this stage of the game, I am not going to get another bike; have no idea how much longer I'll be riding. I'll do what I need to, to keep the two I have running. Yeah, dollar here, dollar there, but no mass outlay..... even tho' there are some out there I wouldn't mind having.

Look away Grasshopper.... look away.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 10:45:11 pm »
The process is done. Not having done this before, can't say it was the most fun thing I've ever done out here.

Not sure about the other processes, but when you start this one, you're pretty much committed for the rest of the day, or until you're done. My fear was not getting a complete job so the tank had some nekked areas that might cause problems later. The only place I could see where the coating looked a little "vague," was on the vertical bits that sit on the top of the main frame tube hump. Have no idea how you might roll the tank around to insure they got fully coated, but looks like I didn't find it. It's not a critical area, so I'm really not going to worry about it.

Now we wait. Think POR says 96 hours, or something like that before adding fuel. I can ride the KLR, so we can wait. And to think, I'll probably be doing this again on my original tank once I get the external stuff taken care of.

Oh joy...........

COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 12:44:49 am »
I've never felt confident about getting the entire tank coated evenly and that has been the big reason I've not ever went that direction.  I'm probably just paranoid about all of that.  Best wishes for success. 
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:23:07 am »
did you buy the "big kit" or just the small/mc kit? you know personally when I did my KZ tank, the outcome, and I have no complaints, it a full system of "ingredients/process'" .. that said, I hope you poured the Zinc chemical back into a bottle for future use. I still ahve the quart bottle, and after about 10 different "applications" it's still viable.. the pre-flush is just crappy detergent, like 409 spray cleaner (same ingredients), but the zinc solution is good for many times.. filter it and save it.

as for the coating, I did it on my KZ, you already know that, the small kit was fine, If I was doing a Conni tank, I would buy the larger kit, but the pitfall is once you open the "coating" can, the time clock is against ya.. you can't reseal the can, and have it "as future spare"... catch 22, the Conni tank takes more to coat it than the small kit provides.. but.. with sitting in the garage, with a case of beer, you can "coat" the full internals.. don't mind the "hump"... they never rust thru.. but propping the tank up after a full coating is completed, and letting it drain back down in the "lower ears" of the tank, fills that area up, and prevents that dreaded "bottom section rustout"...

I'm happy with my POR job, hell, it resurrected my bike.
 I let mine sit 3 days, inside, by a heater, (no moisture) before filling it.. no problemo...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 11:19:37 am »
GBY, could you elaborate a bit more on the vinyl you used?  Do you have any pics of the lifted paint / rust you found?

I have been running a similar setup for years on my C10 using clear sheet vinyl (or something) from Walmart's sewing / material section, covered by a tank bra.  Its the stuff some use to cover their table clothes and make their guest's forearms stick to the table.  Its about $2 / yd.

I installed the sheet to the knee areas (under the tank bra) and on top of the tank to protect from tank bag scratching. 

I remove the tank bra for every wash (something like once per year!   :-\ ) and haven't noticed anything but now I'm going to keep a closer eye on it.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:49:37 am by Stasch »
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 11:27:36 am »
did you buy the "big kit" or just the small/mc kit? you know personally when I did my KZ tank, the outcome, and I have no complaints, it a full system of "ingredients/process'" .. that said, I hope you poured the Zinc chemical back into a bottle for future use. I still ahve the quart bottle, and after about 10 different "applications" it's still viable.. the pre-flush is just crappy detergent, like 409 spray cleaner (same ingredients), but the zinc solution is good for many times.. filter it and save it.

as for the coating, I did it on my KZ, you already know that, the small kit was fine, If I was doing a Conni tank, I would buy the larger kit, but the pitfall is once you open the "coating" can, the time clock is against ya.. you can't reseal the can, and have it "as future spare"... catch 22, the Conni tank takes more to coat it than the small kit provides.. but.. with sitting in the garage, with a case of beer, you can "coat" the full internals.. don't mind the "hump"... they never rust thru.. but propping the tank up after a full coating is completed, and letting it drain back down in the "lower ears" of the tank, fills that area up, and prevents that dreaded "bottom section rustout"...

I let mine sit 3 days, inside, by a heater, (no moisture) before filling it.. no problemo...

No, I did not try and save the etch/prep. I could see no gracious way of trying to catch that stuff...... especially when I didn't know how potent it was. I didn't want to take the chance of fooking up the halfway decent finish.

And no, I did not get the big kit, just the regular M/C sealer kit - however - I contacted POR and asked what size tank those M/C kits were for when I saw the size of the can. They told me ~5 gal. and said it may be possible to use the one small 1/2 pint can if I was careful, but I said screwz that and got a second can. Danged sure didn't want a half-baked job.

Anyway, it's done, and we wait.

COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:08 am »
GBY, could you elaborate a bit more on the vinyl you used?  Do you have any pics of the lifted paint / rust you found?

I have been running a similar setup for years on my C10 using clear sheet vinyl (or something) from Walmart's sewing / material section, covered by a tank bra.  Its the stuff some use to cover their table clothes and make their guest's forearms stick to the table.  Its about $2 / yd.

I installed the sheet to the knee areas (under the tank bra) and on top of the tank to protect from tank bag scratching. 

I remove the tank bra for every wash (something like once per year!   :-\ ) and haven't noticed anything but now I'm going to keep a closer eye on it.

No pictures yet, but can take some a little later.

The vinyl was a commercial item that was specific to the Connie because the cut pieces were sized perfectly to the knee reliefs in the tank. That was a long time and 2-hard drive crashes ago, so I don't have any record of where I got it, or remember the name of the product. It was also pre-garage, so no paper trail there either.

I'll get some shots a little later today.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:43:41 am by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 04:59:49 pm »

This one picture basically shows it all:

I haven't broken any of the large blisters yet to know if there is any gas behind them. Going to wait until I get the "new" tank ready to put on the bike.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 06:14:00 pm »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 12:33:05 am »

No, I did not try and save the etch/prep. I could see no gracious way of trying to catch that stuff...... especially when I didn't know how potent it was. I didn't want to take the chance of fooking up the halfway decent finish.

And no, I did not get the big kit, just the regular M/C sealer kit - however - I contacted POR and asked what size tank those M/C kits were for when I saw the size of the can. They told me ~5 gal. and said it may be possible to use the one small 1/2 pint can if I was careful, but I said screwz that and got a second can. Danged sure didn't want a half-baked job.

Anyway, it's done, and we wait.

the POR zinc stuff, is pretty safe, won't hurt paint, and when wiped off with a wet rag, all good.. no gloves required for that step.. that suff lasts like 10 years, I just used the remainder of what I used on my KZ tank, back in like '03, to treat some steel.. still held up.. no matter, you dumped it, it's gone now, but just a forward recommendation for others, turn the tank and dump it back in the bottle, and cap it for later use..  :great: :great: :great:

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:01:48 pm »
I'm giving the curing process an extra couple of days - just to be sure. Day after tomorrow should be good. In the interim, added in a little extra incentive to help with the progress.

Running on cool at present:

And Rich, you ever tried to graciously drain a C10 tank into a narrow necked bottle so you could save its contents?

I didn't think so.

Without a large plastic "washtub" on hand to do that deed, I just let'er go. I mean, what in Hades was I going to with it anyway?

KLR is running just fine - thank you; thank you very much. Not sure I want a full fairing on days like today anyway. Was out for several hours today running errands (on the KLR), and I was toast when I got back home.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 09:07:08 pm »
Hey I'm not the only one - I've dried out tanks using the exhaust port from a shop vac in a very similar setup, including the use of duct tape to keep the hose on the tank filler hole.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:10:28 pm by Stasch »

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 09:39:33 pm »
Hey I'm not the only one - I've dried out tanks using the exhaust port from a shop vac in a very similar setup, including the use of duct tape to keep the hose on the tank filler hole.

I was afeard of using my shop vac for that. It's primary use is to suck all the dust particles out of my blast cabinet so I can see what I'm doing.

I had the vac hose and some weird fittings I picked up somewhere. I modified one of them to fit over the nozzle of a cheap-a$$ hair dryer from Walmart. Both ends just basically plugged into they're respective places, and away we went.

I modified the fitting that slipped on the dryer nozzle so enough air and pressure could escape without choking off the flow too badly to minimize any overheating of the dryer fan motor. If it pukes, it pukes. Only running it when I am out there to keep an eye on things.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 07:26:16 pm »
I'm giving the curing process an extra couple of days - just to be sure. Day after tomorrow should be good. In the interim, added in a little extra incentive to help with the progress.

And Rich, you ever tried to graciously drain a C10 tank into a narrow necked bottle so you could save its contents?

I didn't think so.

Without a large plastic "washtub" on hand to do that deed, I just let'er go. I mean, what in Hades was I going to with it anyway?

KLR is running just fine - thank you; thank you very much. Not sure I want a full fairing on days like today anyway. Was out for several hours today running errands (on the KLR), and I was toast when I got back home.

to be honest, no I didn't try to pour from the tank into the bottle.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I cut off the top of a 2 liter pop bottle, and stuck a BIG RED FUNNEL, like the one in your photo, into the 2L container...
then because I'm soooo cheap, I did save the stuff...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

good job tho, that POR stuff works great, My only complaint was it just can be a p.i.t.a. to remove any "smeared POR" from the external tank painted surfaces... that stuff is extremely tough... :beerchug:

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 04:12:12 pm »

I didn't think so.

to be honest, no I didn't try to pour from the tank into the bottle.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I cut off the top of a 2 liter pop bottle, and stuck a BIG RED FUNNEL, like the one in your photo, into the 2L container...
then because I'm soooo cheap, I did save the stuff...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

good job tho, that POR stuff works great, My only complaint was it just can be a p.i.t.a. to remove any "smeared POR" from the external tank painted surfaces... that stuff is extremely tough... :beerchug:

I agree. That stuff just seems to magically appear outta nowhere and gets over everything. I just kept my eye out and used BrakeKleen on a shop rag to get rid of the stuff. I was also careful just where I put that clean up rag to avoid reintroducing more splotches.

But finally, satisfied that the POR-15 had cured as much as it was going to, I transferred the petcock, tank fuel level sensor, and gas cap over last night and added a couple gallons of fuel to check for leaks. None apparent so put the “new” tank on the bike and hooked everything up. Added a couple more gallons of gas this morning and headed out on its maiden voyage – first to the post office, then planned on running into town to the local Greek Festival that started today. Think I’ve only missed a couple of those things since I started going back in the mid 80’s…… usually on a bike since it was relatively close to where I would be working for the next 20 years.

No issues with the bike. It ran great and felt to be out on it again. The weather was a different story. With the heat index sitting at 95, I was drenched after I got to the PO, so passed on making the additional ~25 miles into town for the festival; I retreated to the barn. Just didn’t feel like baking in the heat while trying to enjoy a Gyro, Souvlaki, Loukaniko, Baklava, or any of the other delights that would add to my already inflated waistline. It runs the entire w/e, so have a couple more days of opportunity.

COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 05:54:31 pm »
 :great: :great:
I always loved that black/red paint scheme, I think it was one of the nicest combo's they came in...
I actually "ran out" of new spare fuel tanks, the NOS Silver one I put on my '86, the Barney tank which got painted and put on COGZilla, and finally sold the last one a "metalic/pearl blue/black" ('04 ??) one got sent down to Larry B. a couple years ago...

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 06:56:30 pm »
I missed my opportunity back in the late to mid-80’s shortly after I got my used ’86. I became pretty good friends with the owner of the Kawasaki dealer (Power Sports) on my side of town, which eventually became Ultimate under new ownership when my friend decided to retire. He gave me a fiche machine with a complete collection of fiches, and the Kawasaki parts CD for all of their models when they changed over. At one point, Kaw fooked up on tank pricing and the CA Concours tanks were selling for $200, while the 49 state versions were going for around $600. If I’d had the $$ resources back then, I certainly would have scoffed up on a few.

Kinda in that mode now. My ’95 Connie and the ’02 KLR will probably be my last bikes. As mentioned previously, if I need to spend a dollar here / and a dollar there, to keep them running for the duration, I will. A nice tank just came in from Canada today. Cosmetically, it’s not absolutely perfect (few light scratches and a couple of minor dings), but internally, it’s spotless. It will get tucked away for now.

A crisis averted and the rush is off. I now have a good bike for the National. A full suspension lube in the next few days, plus the time has come to attend to my “original” tank (actually my second) and start peeling off the mange to see what lurks beneath. I also need to crank out another batch of the BMW tool to fill some orders.

:great:
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC