Author Topic: ZG Barbacks  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Tresslerd

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9415
  • Membership Level: Active
ZG Barbacks
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:02:12 am »
Has anyone used the Buck Sport Touring Barbacks?  You need a set of risers (any set) and then send in your bars to be "machined". they then return your bars.  Doesn't say anything about needing new cable lengths. Supposed to move back about 2 inches plus raised 1.5 by the risers. Appreciate any info comments!  Thanks!

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4157
  • Membership Level: Web Master
Re: ZG Barbacks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:27:23 am »
I have a set installed on my project bike and have ridden short distances with them.  Reason for not a long distance, it is not fully finished.

The process is as you have described, you send your bars to Larry Buck and he machines them, then sends them back to you.  What you have once you install them is not fully what you described.  The amount of rise is dependent on your risers, so if you only have 1" risers then it will only be raised 1".   Now it does move them back closer to you, but also decreases the angle at which they are to each other, thus slightly changing the angles of your hands on the grips.  As to needing new cables, usually not.  Now if you use two sets of risers, then you will have to have new longer cables.

If you have not experienced a set of these installed, I'd suggest you attend some events and hope someone there has a set and will allow you to sit on their bike to get a feel of the Barbacks.  Some people love them, some cannot stand them.  As for me, it's OK, as they are closer to me and allow me to sit more upright.

hth, tcars
John

tcars
John
COG 4157, AMA 390409, ROK Charter Member
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:52:46 pm »
I have a set.  I got them after finding some used bars for $10 that I could send him so I did not have to live without the bike.

I only have one riser so I did not have to extend my cables.

I love the further back more upright seating position.

I also like the closer in bar position.  It makes it easier to drive with one hand while my wrist rests on one knee... I never do that though :)

I do not seem to have a problem with less steering power caused by the closer bars.

I DO seem to have a problem with my wrist not liking the angle it puts on them.  It is not a huge problem for me in that I have done a few 500mile + days.  Something is going to hurt after a long day and it just moved it from my shoulder to my wrist.

I do not like the way his covers look.  The covers keep you from seeing the bolt hole mods made to the bars.  The cover is needed to keep water from rusting the bolts also. 

The biggest bonus of the mod is the cost.  It was cheaper then any other mod I could find to try.  It is good enough for me to keep it and not loose money by going to something that cost more now.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Tresslerd

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 9415
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:05 pm »
Thanks to both of you guys! Think I'll go ahead and try them. If I send them off now weather is bad enough I won't miss them being gone.