Author Topic: ZG Heat Shields  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12114
  • Membership Level: Active
ZG Heat Shields
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:19:29 am »
Just wonder what kind of feedback there is on this product... Thinking about getting them for a cooler ride, but also want my bike to be able to breathe well.    Thanks.

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
Re: ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:24:38 am »
Also curious how effective the air ducts are on the bottom.. do they really make a huge difference for cooling when the bike is hot. I like the looks of the bike without them, but I'm thinking of getting the ZG heat shields and leaving them off.. Bottom line, is I'm just looking for the most comfortable ride, with keeping myself and the bike cooler.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 01:46:43 am »
I really like the heat shields...think you just have to specify "early", or "late" to get the correct fitment...

I don't have much to say about the "wings" on the lower part of the fairing...I took them off my '03 so I could reach the highway pegs...and, I haven't put them back on yet...

I think the heat shields are the best bang for the buck as far as cooling accessories go...

Hope this helps...

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 02:34:05 am »
Also curious how effective the air ducts are on the bottom..
Assuming you're talking about the scoops on the side of the fairing, a lot of folks remove them with no ill effects.  I've ridden the last couple of seasons without them.  They can help to cool your feet, but they don't do much for engine cooling.

In fact, the European models came without them, and instead had fairing extenders installed.  I just put on my fairing extenders for the fall riding season, as they keep the wind off my legs a bit more and keep me warmer.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:04:10 am »
Just wonder what kind of feedback there is on this product... Thinking about getting them for a cooler ride, but also want my bike to be able to breathe well.    Thanks.
   I assume you are interested in these.
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/heat-shields

'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline alan

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11951
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:40:00 am »
I've taken the whole lower fairings off and moved the coolant tank behind the battery. Engine and myself are both happy and cool. I like the look.
....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 03:53:54 pm »
I did  some REAL testing and I don't think the heat shields affect the engine temps much at all.  Engine may warm up a bit faster when you come to a stop but then the fan comes on and takes care of that.   The difference is when the fan is on or you are driving more of the air is forced down away from the side of your leg.  I do think shield may add a bit more heat to the gas tank when you shut down.  The tank really should have heat barrier under it.

If I am riding a lot over 80 degrees shields are worth it.   If I am riding a lot under 50 degrees then I switch to the fairing extenders.  They are the winter answer to frozen knees.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 05:20:20 pm »
I use the shields along with the imitation Baker Air Wings. About as good as it can get in Flowriduh summers. A shorty windshield also helps, if you're so inclined.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Catrinus

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11651
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 03:31:30 am »
The heat shields were one of the first things I added to my '94 when I got it 2 years ago.  I found the amount of heat the engine put onto my calves PAINFUL.  I put the heat shields on and they help a LOT.  I have not noticed any difference in engine cooling.  I'm sure the fan comes on earlier, but so what?  BTW in VERY hot weather and in lots of traffic the C10 pretty much sucks, with or without heat shields.  I think it's the one bad thing about the bike.  I tend to only use my for long trips as a result (not for commuting).
94 C10 (since Oct 2013) CDA #528
81 Yamaha Seca 550, 82 Seca 650, 83 Seca 750, 83 Seca 900
70 Honda SL175
Yamaha dirt bikes: DT3, RT180, TY250, IT250
Yeah, it's a SICKNESS!

Offline Mike

• Moped
  • COG#: 12032
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 03:27:33 pm »
I love mine .  Nice clean look.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 10:17:44 pm »
 After reading this, I realized that I have a brand new set in the box that I purchased from Brian for my 86. I never got around to installing them. Since I do not have the 86 anymore. I have no use for them now. Anyone interested?    :-[

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:02 am »
Will they fit on my 2000, how much you want for them if they do?

Offline SamSam

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 6191
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 02:35:14 am »
Had them and did not feel much difference in temp.  The increased heat under the tank melted an inline plastic gas filter!!  Removed the heat shields and now use a metal gas filter.
Sal Sammartino
COG #6191; AMA #1107290
2015 VFR800D; 2006 C10; 2001 C10 (lost in fire!); 2009 Honda Metro 50; 2011 buddy 125
If you didn't have a good time its your own fault!

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 08:59:22 am »
Will they fit on my 2000, how much you want for them if they do?

If they're for an '86, they won't fit a 2000.  Oh Well, check SISF's website.
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11949
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 12:43:00 pm »
I'd want to believe (although without a scientific test) that with the oil cooler and fan, the baffles will do no harm. I rode a Triumph twin with air and oil cool only that would get the oil up to around 250F in stop and go with no harm done.

From somewhere back in my memory 260F is a problem for conventional oils. Perhaps that is their customary shear point? If same memory serves, synthetics can take more than that before harming the oil. High oil temperature for whatever reason is one of those places where synthetics are worth every extra penny spent.

That reminds me - a guy where I do some journeyman work has one of those electronic pistols that can shoot temps from a distance. Infra red maybe? Dunno. I'll have to see if I can do some shots of a C10 with it. 

I am definitely investing in a set prior to next Summer.

A random thought -- it's probably a good idea to get our bikes out of fan mode prior to shutdown. Just sayin'
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:52:34 pm by Bucky »

Antique Machinery Junkie

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:05 am »
I use the shields along with the imitation Baker Air Wings. About as good as it can get in Flowriduh summers. A shorty windshield also helps, if you're so inclined.

Did you make the imitations yourself, or buy them somewhere? If you don't mind and you're willing to share, but don't want to do it here, please PM me.
AMA #2994244 / 2002 ZG1000 / 2000 Honda Shadow VT750C (sold)
Lowered Pegs, Handlebar Risers, Madstad 16" Windscreen, Grip Heaters, Murph's Side Cover Knobs, Bergmen Quick Release
I love this place!