Author Topic: ZG1000 master brake and clutch reservoir covers  (Read 1281 times)

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
  • Writer, photographer, teacher, motorcyclist
    • Mechanical Sympathy
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11677
  • Membership Level: Active
ZG1000 master brake and clutch reservoir covers
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:45:20 pm »
I've been beating up on the stripped bolts on a 94 Concours that's been sitting outside for a couple of years.  Two came out with some persuasion, a third came out after breaking off the cover, I'm still working on the forth.

The covers appear to be identical to the ones on my 07 650r Ninja... do street Kawasakis all use the same parts for the reservoir cover?  Looking it up online, they appear to share part numbers, but I'm not convinced:

43026-27-28 appear to be similar across a lot of Kawis, are they?  Are there any aftermarket options for replacing these covers?

That last bolt doesn't look like it's going to come out nicely.  Any suggestions on more heavy handed ways to convince it to let go?

thx
Tim

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: ZG1000 master brake and clutch reservoir covers
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »
Kawasaki uses the same number to label the same type of part in their diagrams, so a 43026 from one bike won't necessarily be the same as one on another bike.  The actual part number is the one listed next to the item number, for instance, 43026-1076.  If these numbers match then the two parts are identical.  Even if the part numbers aren't the same, some parts will still fit but are different in finish or some other non-critical feature, but you won't be able to tell unless you have the part in hand to try or have someone tell you it will work.

I don't know what parts will work, but sometimes I'll look up an aftermarket version that fits my bike and see which other bikes it fits.  That might be possible with an M/C cover.

HTH,
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:20 pm »
Same part number, then it's probably the same part (and I would say it's probably the same part anyway).

Same advice for any stuck screw/bolt - overnight soak with penetrating oil, then heat screw and "nut" (gently! in this case), then try to work it loose. Since it's in the pot metal of the reservoir, be very careful about torquing on it or you'll break the reservoir. Ditto with the heat - go easy on it. Back and forth motions on the screw.

Offline Kwaksam

• Kwaksam
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:21:54 pm »
Same mastercylinder covers interchange from the GPZ600R, the GPX600R, the GPZ900R, the GPZ1000RX, the ZX10 (Tomcat), Kawasaki used the same lids across a large swathe of models.....
When its in your blood, you never turn back....

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:48:36 pm »
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:49:19 pm »
I can tell you that the MC covers and attachment screws differ between Gen1 (86 - 93) and Gen2 (94 - 06).

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 11:05:32 pm »
I've been beating up on the stripped bolts on a 94 Concours that's been sitting outside for a couple of years.  Two came out with some persuasion, a third came out after breaking off the cover, I'm still working on the forth.

The covers appear to be identical to the ones on my 07 650r Ninja... do street Kawasakis all use the same parts for the reservoir cover?  Looking it up online, they appear to share part numbers, but I'm not convinced:

43026-27-28 appear to be similar across a lot of Kawis, are they?  Are there any aftermarket options for replacing these covers?

That last bolt doesn't look like it's going to come out nicely.  Any suggestions on more heavy handed ways to convince it to let go?

thx
Tim

I have a couple of covers for ya. Shoot me a P.M. with your snail mail addy.

No charge, but you owe me a cold adult beverage someday for the postage.  :beerchug:

Don't dawdle, I'm fixin' to leave this weekend for a week of riding in West by dog Virginia, then on to the RWTW.

:beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
  • Writer, photographer, teacher, motorcyclist
    • Mechanical Sympathy
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11677
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:57:13 pm »
Wow, thanks Steve! COG really is everything they say it is!

... and thanks for that cross reference GFinCA, that'll get saved in the browser.

Great advice all around.  I don't feel like I'm shooting in the dark with this any more.  I'll let you know how the un-seizing goes...

Offline raima55

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:42:08 am »
The mod would be to put them in a holder with a low shoulder (similar to modifying an ignition key for the fairing pockets to be knobs) so the key only fits in straight up and down. That would help. Kinda like how lawnmower keys are sometimes made, with only that little bit sticking out.
raima