Author Topic: zg1000 oil consumption  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Francis

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11413
  • Membership Level: Active
zg1000 oil consumption
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:48:04 pm »
Hi,  new to the group and I'm looking for opinions from long time Connie owners.  I bought a 2006 with 10K on it last Aug. I did:  Oil & filter, brakes & fluid clutch fluid , final drive oil. I had the a local shop do the valve adjust and sync the carbs  (never again).  I put 1500 miles on it before it was time to put it in the garage for the winter.  I have been starting it up about once a week and running it until it warms up (in garage).  Just noticed today while looking at howto adjust the shift lever the oil is at the lower limit in the sight glass.  Pretty sure it was at full or close to it when I put it away for the winter.  No oil on the floor.  What do you think?  looking forward to replys!!

Offline secarob

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11143
Re: zg1000 oil consumption
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:07:36 am »
Honestly FX go and check it again in the morning.  I bet it will read differently

Offline Eddie-FL

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7073
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:28:04 am »
What secarob said. Check the sight glass while on the center stand about 20 minutes after you shut down the engine. If the oil level is between the upper and lower lines, you're good. The Connie sight glass is famous (infamous?) for doing weird things and this has proven to be a reliable check.
Anderson, SC
2015 Suzuki DL650XT "Grey Ghost"
1969 Triumph Bonneville 
AMA# 686667 COG# 7073   CDA# 0136

Offline Francis

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:40:41 am »
Thanks for the reply's guys.  I didn't run it today.  I noticed the oil level while looking at the shift linkage.  How much oil do you add between changes? Type / weight?  That was my first post.  I love this site already.  THX again.

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:49:12 am »
Not good to start and run the engine until it "warms up".  It may seem warm, but it isn't hot enough for long enough to evaporate all the moisture in the crankcase/exhaust system.  You're generating nitric acid and water that will stay in the pipes and cause corrosion.  If you're going to start it, ride it at least 30 miles or so to get it hot and dry inside.  Better to let it sit.  Once it is cold-soaked, it can sit a loooong time being cold. 

And it is unusual for these engines to burn much if any noticeable amount of oil between changes.  My 2003 has 60,000 miles on it and I can't discern any oil loss between 3,000 mile changes.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:06:12 am »
How much oil do you add between changes? Type / weight?
Usually none.  On rare occasions, I've added a half pint or so if I'm headed off on a weekend ride and notice it seems a bit low.  But that is usually when I'm approaching oil change time anyway.  (Although "oil change time" usually is sometime well past the 'recommended' interval.)

As for type/weight...  You didn't just turn this into one of those threads, did you?   :rotflmao:

Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40 truck oil for me.  Used to use Walmart synthetic oil.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:13:44 am »
What's the oil conflict version of Godwinning an internet forum? We need a word for it- who was the first to create an oil thread that devolved? We'll name it after them!

:))

Offline Francis

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:22:22 am »
 :great: Thanks for all the info.  Trust me I didn't mean to start an oil war on this thread:)  I'm not to worried about it.  I'll change the oil and see what happens.  Won't be running it for short periods of time anymore.  Thanks again.
FX

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:50:02 am »
:great: Thanks for all the info.  Trust me I didn't mean to start an oil war on this thread:)  I'm not to worried about it.  I'll change the oil and see what happens.  Won't be running it for short periods of time anymore.  Thanks again.
FX
If you haven't yet, do learn the proper way to prepare the bike for storage. And read up on this site: https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

And welcome.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 07:15:25 am »
Did someone say Oil War?
Who are we going after this time? Iran? Crimea?   :-\
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:14:25 am »
Honestly FX go and check it again in the morning.  I bet it will read differently

:iagree:  That sight glass is an unexplainable phenomenon... 
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Kwaksam

• Kwaksam
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:22:20 pm »
Did someone say Oil War?
Who are we going after this time? Iran? Crimea?   :-\

Glad you didn't say WMD.......
When its in your blood, you never turn back....

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:29:40 pm »
I think Boomer just volunteered his name...this thread has Officially been "Boomered" - the COG Forum oil-war equivalent to a Godwin!  :)

(For those who aren't familiar, to "Godwin" a thread/forum is explained  here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law )

Now dontcha feel special, Boomer?  :))

Now we need someone to volunteer their name for a thread devolving into a tire-war...who created the tire spreadsheet?  :-\

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 09:36:06 pm »
How much oil do you add between changes? Type / weight?
Usually none.  On rare occasions, I've added a half pint or so if I'm headed off on a weekend ride and notice it seems a bit low.  But that is usually when I'm approaching oil change time anyway.  (Although "oil change time" usually is sometime well past the 'recommended' interval.)

As for type/weight...  You didn't just turn this into one of those threads, did you?   :rotflmao:

Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40 truck oil for me.  Used to use Walmart synthetic oil.

I have my own oil preference - mostly because it's what I can find at a reasonable price, and it's been consistently promoted here (few negative comments, if any). I won't mention which oil, just so's I don't Boomerize the thread.  ;D

But, in support of Outback Jon, just make sure to choose an oil that does NOT say "energy saving" or anything like that - those will have reduced friction modifiers that our wet-clutch bikes need. Try one once if you need convincing - the clutch will not work well after a while.

Also choose an oil based on the temps you expect to spend most of your time, according to the chart in the manual.