Author Topic: ZG1000 won’t pull above 7500 rpm  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ZG1000 won’t pull above 7500 rpm
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 06:07:03 pm »
Having been down this road before, many many times, I seriously doubt the bike is running correctly in any gear. there's piles of diagnostic information missing but the FIRST thing I would want answered is what size the foam block is, where it's placed, and how many air intake ports are on the back of the airbox. Thanks, steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 07:50:58 pm »
Well this could be the time and place to post this.

I had a fuel starvation issue with a tank less that half full and a wind from the right. This combination was enough to place a vacuum on the fuel tank vent when placed in the holder down at the rear of the engine. Think pitot(sp?) tube on aircraft. Quite frustrating as this started on an Ironbutt ride so I had to fuel more often. I relocated that vent line and had no further issues for the next 170,000+ miles.

The reason I ran a NAPA fuel filter was for when the petcock filter becomes detached. Dyno runs showed no starvation issues on the F/A mixture chart.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 12:34:57 am »
If I am reading this correctly, the tank vents thru the gas cap.
The hose that gets placed in the holder at the back side of the
engine is the tank well drain. Isn't it there to drain water (rain)
and not let it into the tank when the cap is opened ?

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:40 am »
IIRC that drain hose was isolated from the outside on top by a gasket(?). All I know for sure on other isolated occurrences after that is that the bike would die if low on gas occasionally. I eventually deduced it only happened when wind was present from the right. After moving that vent line I never had another issue with starvation. Opening the cap immediately produced a woosh. Without removing the cap, the bike would run after sitting a few minutes probably due to pressure equalization from not moving. Then it would stall out a few miles down the road once at speed, about 70+mph. Over half a tank of gas, no issues.

Btw, the tea kettle whistle guts had been removed before any of this happened.

There could be another explanation, but I have no idea what it would be as moving that vent line/drain hose forever eliminated the problem. And I did put at least 170k more miles on it.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 10:44:08 am »
I concur on the sensitivity these bikes have to venting.  I originally routed my overflow tube drain hose to exit just behind the right foot peg (parallel to the peg) in hopes of preventing fuel from leaking onto the path of the rear tire.  The results were at speeds above 25 mph the bike would practically die unless I was applying at least 3/4 throttle.  Crosswinds made it worse.  After a lot of help and advise from the group, I plugged the drain hose and the problem immediately went away.  Stopped and unplugged it, and the problem returned.  Solution was to route the drain hose as SISF recommended.  No problems in 40K miles and I am running the 3006 filter.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:54 am »
IMHO is makes no sense to run an extra 20 micron fuel filter when the screen in your tank is also a 20 micron fuel filter.
Why run two?  It cant  filter out anymore.

One reason is that the upright petcock filter in the tank often 'ovalizes' at the bottom - leaving a gap for unfiltered fuel to make its way down to the carbs.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »
My 2 cents says pull the tank, drain it and clean it (you said you have debris), and then ditch the filter. The "clean the tank" seems to be the most common advice after steves carb job, so you dont bork it up again with said junk solshing around at the bottom of  the tank.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 03:02:30 pm »
If your are going to drain the tank drain it into something clear
so you can see what you have in there. Pour it out thru the gas
cap hole.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 04:02:44 pm »
Until the op responds to Steve, it's all just noise in here... so I'll just repost this in case the op didn't see it.

Having been down this road before, many many times, I seriously doubt the bike is running correctly in any gear. there's piles of diagnostic information missing but the FIRST thing I would want answered is what size the foam block is, where it's placed, and how many air intake ports are on the back of the airbox. Thanks, steve
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 04:52:36 pm »
Another air related question in relations to steves diagnostic inquiry, is; did you remove and inspect the airbox when the carbs were out? They commonly crack and if you disturb the delicate air system, things go bad.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline racer1735

• Tricycle
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:09 pm »

Steve, I am using the foam that you sent me.   Bike actually is running very very well through all the gears but just won’t pull the top two.  I started by putting one of the blocks that you sent in the air intake as you instructed it was approximately an inch and a half wide.  I had a slight stumble off idle when I gave it throttle so I gradually trimmed it back and it is currently about a half inch to three-quarter inches wide    Again inserted into the mouth of the airbox    All intake boots  leading from the airbox to the carbs are attached properly and our brand new as of this past summer    I installed the supplied plug in the breather hole that was originally on the airbox as it was a California model   

Offline racer1735

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 10:30:45 pm »
Another air related question in relations to steves diagnostic inquiry, is; did you remove and inspect the airbox when the carbs were out? They commonly crack and if you disturb the delicate air system, things go bad.

Air box is virtually new. No cracks, plus did Steves airbox mod to seal the bottom edges.

I’m  leaning towards either kink in the fuel line, Or the routing of the vent hoses.

However we haven’t seen temperature above 25 in the past five days so not conducive to test rides!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 11:36:57 pm »
Steve, I am using the foam that you sent me.   Bike actually is running very very well through all the gears but just won’t pull the top two.  I started by putting one of the blocks that you sent in the air intake as you instructed it was approximately an inch and a half wide.  I had a slight stumble off idle when I gave it throttle so I gradually trimmed it back and it is currently about a half inch to three-quarter inches wide    Again inserted into the mouth of the airbox    All intake boots  leading from the airbox to the carbs are attached properly and our brand new as of this past summer    I installed the supplied plug in the breather hole that was originally on the airbox as it was a California model

So there's the problem, thr bike is to lean. The block I supply is 2" wide, 2.5" long and about 1.25" tall. Inserted with the arrow forward, it would block 2" of the right side intake . 2" could be a little rich, but it's close. 1.75" is generally perfect. I'm not sure what you were feeling at low rpm, but the air block doesn't affect the mix coming off idle, because the engine isn't pulling enough air for it to matter. Please go remove the block you trimmed and put in the other full width block and take the bike for a ride. Enjoy the the extra 2000 rpm. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 02:17:47 am »
Steve, you send us a page full of clear instructions, even draw an arrow right on the damn foam... and people still mess up.

How and why do you put up with us? I am getting pissed just reading this.

Offline NWMike

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 7906
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 06:19:05 pm »
PLEASE follow Steve's advice and the venting and hydrolock suggestions.

However, here's something quick to try as I don't think I saw the suggestion yet.
Set the petcock to 'Prime' and test with that. (flip it back to normal after testing.)

What I experienced on a Vulcan VN800 was at high speeds / loads it didn't seem that there was enough vacuum to hold open the petcock, especially with a less than totally full tank.
It would eventually starve when too long under those conditions ~1 min.
Although, it could run on Prime with no issues.
The gas cap venting seemed to be working okay, but I'd read in other forums where folks would remove the venting guts from the gas cap.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:22:26 pm by NWMike »
Thanks, 
Mike. 
2006 Concours   COG Member 7906

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:37 am »
Looks like he took the amount you may trim off the foam block, and used that little piece instead. It's okay, mistakes happen. Usually a call to Steve gets things resolved the fastest, but sometimes it gets made into a forum post. We all get the opportunity to troubleshoot, over the internet, which is kinda like a shotgun of information. I never tried taking the foam block out completely, I guess it won't pull at high speeds! the foam is god.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 02:13:00 pm »
 Please keep us updated on this Racer1735  Its posts like this that help COGers out. I for one am curious if the foam fixes you issue good luck.

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."