Author Topic: ZRX front end conversion  (Read 1577 times)

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
  • Membership Level: Active
ZRX front end conversion
« on: October 30, 2016, 03:25:20 am »
So a summer of collecting parts came to fruition last month, and finally got all the ZRX 1100 parts together in the same room.

This was taken afterwards when I had to replace another broken fairing stay. The first thing you might notice is how much beefier all the parts are, those are 6-piston calipers on each side. This is the equipment these bikes should have came with, "shouldabeen"? Last piece that I need is an overpriced ZRX fender!
Side note: Since I do not run lower plastics, I was able to position the tip-over bars from Murph's in any orientation the hardware allowed. The lights are mounted with repurposed highway pegs off my Honda, god knows those death traps won't be sticking out the side of my bike.

I think I could have gotten away with not grinding the whole steering stem lock tab off, ground lots off the ignition, but it still didn't seem to want to clear. Sorry Connie, it was for science!

Rebuilding the ZRX forks was not too tough, and easier to unscrew/screw together than OEM Concours forks.

Bars are Daytona-style with a "touring" pull back and rise of a few inches. Compared to stock Concours bars with risers, these are like riding a dirtbike.

Finished product is a different motorcycle. She looks similar, but the handling is night and day. Braking has no comparison to OEM. I even accidentally ordered a 110 size tire instead of 120, the profile is a littler narrower, but taller potentially. This may be the quickest Connie I have ever seen..

After upgrading to 36mm carbs given the full SISF treatment, I needed this bike to stop as well as she goes.

:motonoises: :motonoises:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:07:54 am by VTconnie »
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
Re: ZRX front end conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:20:11 am »
Very nice VTconnie. Brings back memories when I did mine. He is right what a difference in handling and braking.

The last piece of the puzzle I had to acquire was the fender too. It was like a month hunting on ebay for it.
I ended up with a cracked one at the mounting hole with a hideous flat dried blood red rattle can paint job. I repaired it with the ABS glue and spare bits of ABS. Gave it a couple coats of ABS on underneath / non exposed areas. Gave it a couple of hand stress twist tests to make sure it wouldn't break under pressure and possibly jam up a front tire at speed. Sanded the whole fender down and sprayed it with krylon flat black for plastic. That color fender would go fine with yours too if you have to settle for a not so good fender and don't have paint equipment. I got a fender extender too, either from Murph or directly from the mfg, Pyramid.

FYI, for those contemplating this you don't have to remove the main fairing to do this upgrade.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Sparkie

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 02:05:48 pm »
Nice work.  You're right about this is the front end Kawasaki should have put on, or at least switched to at some point.  If I was going to keep riding my C10 I would be looking to do this mod also.  But I think next year its time to upgrade to something newer so I'm not going to tackle the project.  Enjoy your new ride.   :beerchug:  Mark
2006 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)
2006 Ducati 620 Multistrada
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:00:02 pm »
Yep, these forks transform the handling of the Concours and the massive brakes are a huge bonus.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 10:28:40 pm »
get a ZRX1100 fork brace for it too.  you won't be sorry.

Nice work....and yes, sourcing a fender was a difficult one for me too.

Offline SalNap

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:33:14 pm »

One just sold on the ZRXOA

Offline kevingore

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12469
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:11:09 pm »
just curious what year zrx do you use for the conversion

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 12:40:40 am »

One just sold on the ZRXOA

Whoops, yeah its more that the budget is tapped also. Completely worth it, but man is the Connie allowance blown for the year.

just curious what year zrx do you use for the conversion

Not positive, late 90's to early 2000's. The 1100's were only made for a certain number of years, it is more important to use all ZRX 1100 or 1200 parts. Either works for the conversion, but the triples are matched to their own engine sizes.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline SalNap

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 01:14:50 am »
1100's were sold in US 1999 & 2000, 01 - 05 were the 12's
11's and 12's have different forks