Author Topic: ZX10 Cams?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline claytonsdad

• Too "Cripple to Ride", Too "Crazy to Care"
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
ZX10 Cams?
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:47:08 pm »
I came across this Craigslist ad ( http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/4545499528.html) that mentions the stock cams being replaced with ZX10 cams.  I'm gathering from some of the terminology the seller used that he probably isn't terribly familiar with the bike, and probably doesn't know much about what his "friend" had done to it.  My question is concerning the cam change.  Is this feasible, and/or could it hurt the engine? What else should have been done to make this work?  I did email the seller to ask about what had been done to the carbs.  I'm just curious if this could be a decent buy, or is it something that should be screaming, "Run, Forrest! Run!"
2003 - The Wild Child
1052 by SiSF w/ Power Cams, ZZR Front End, 17" Wheels, Cruise Control

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ZX10 Cams?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:23:42 pm »
 This could be more than you ever hoped to know regarding cams in the zg1000.

First, they are not zx10 cams, either the earlier or later zx10 cams don't interface with the zg1000 valve train.

Perhaps they are zx1000 cams, from an 86 - 87 zx1000, or perhaps gpz900 cams from 84-03 (86 up only abroad). these cams are a single pattern, higher lift cams with 15* more duration and overlap than the zg cams

Very early on n my connie ownership, I installed zx1000 cams and carbs, and dyno'd quite a bit with that combo, so I have experience with them.

the zx1000 cams alone will get you about 8-9 hp over the stock zg cams, and in conjunction with the 36mm carbs will get about 15 hp. Yeah, that sounds good - great even - but it's at 9500 rpm. In fact, the zx cams don't exceed the zg cams in power until 7000 rpm.

As far as torque / ridability, the zx cams produce less torque and are slower in acceleration that the stock zg cams to 5000 rpm. From 5 to 7k, they are about the same as the zg cams. So if you ride from 1000 to 7000 rpm regularly, your bike will be slower than with your stock cams. Your stock connie would be faster, acellerate better and pull harder that the one with the zx cams.

I think the big thing folks forget is that this is a big, heave shaft driven bike, not a lightweight drag bike . It requires torque to get it going, and to make acceleration and passing with reasonable rpms a reality.

Now the following isn't meant to be a "commercial"  but without this info the picture is incomplete.

You are probably aware of my advanced exhaust cam sprocket and my torque cams. Both of these were my answer to my opinion that even the zg1000 cams are to long in duration and overlap, and don't fit the riding style of most connie riders. The idea of the sprocket is to reduce the overlap with stock cams, and the later response  - the torque cams - came about to really pump up the connies power from 7k down. 

The torque cams have about 15* less duration than the stock zg cams... polar opposite of the zx cams. One must really think about this for a minute... if most folks prefer cams and accelerate faster with less duration, what would be gained by cams with 30* more than that in a real world scenario? I'll let you decide  :motonoises:  Steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »

What Steve said!  I have the torque cams.  :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »
+1

W/ the torque cams I rarely downshift. And routinely slow for towns, etc letting the engine chug effortlessly @ 1500 and below in 6th. In fact, I'm holding out for the new "8th gear" mod... Haha

Offline claytonsdad

• Too "Cripple to Ride", Too "Crazy to Care"
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I figure that since this thing has been modified already, and that by a third party's "mechanic", the best thing to do is probably to pass on this one.  I'd rather have a stock bike to add Steve's torque cams and carb modifications to myself, or find one that is known to someone here is familiar with that has already had the work done.  Found one like that not long ago, but shipping was going to kill me. That one sold before I could find another, more palatable shipping option.   In retrospect, I should have probably just eaten the additional shipping to have a bike that was a known quantity.  Oh well, live and learn I suppose.  I've spent too much of my life sorting out other people's "fixes" to things. 
2003 - The Wild Child
1052 by SiSF w/ Power Cams, ZZR Front End, 17" Wheels, Cruise Control

Offline dan4aspen

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 03:56:11 pm »
Wonder if that bike was SiSFied, and that is what he was referring to as zx10 cams and carb work? 
BURN RUBBER, NOT YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:29 am »
..... letting the engine chug effortlessly @ 1500 and below in 6th. -

Hmmm..Me thinks you may see some advice on that.I will let others chime in. I been posting too much lately.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 04:32:01 am »
..... letting the engine chug effortlessly @ 1500 and below in 6th. -

Hmmm..Me thinks you may see some advice on that.I will let others chime in. I been posting too much lately.

Yeah, that's not good.  It has been studied by some that these engines don't supply much in the way of oil pressure/flow below about 3,000 RPM, so lugging it down and asking it to produce power that low may lead to some problems.  I have stock cams, but with SiSF's redrilled/reset exhaust sprocket and intake reset, along with his "7th gear mod".  The increase in low-end torque combined with the gear ratio change does make it very easy to use the bottom end of the RPM range, and I have to remember to keep it spooled up.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Rogue Booger

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9087
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:12:23 am »
Wonder if that bike was SiSFied, and that is what he was referring to as zx10 cams and carb work?

I was wondering the same thing! Maybe the bike has all of the right stuff installed already?
Member# 9087  CDA# 317