Author Topic: ZX1000 exhaust  (Read 671 times)

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: ZX1000 exhaust
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 02:54:10 am »
Thanks.

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 12:57:11 am »
I found this posted in an old thread. Don't look like this guy is around anymore. Wish we had a photo of how it looks without the fairing.

As per attachment, a picture of my C10 with a VANCE & HINES header. Can't really compare it to the stock exhaust as I have never ridden or even seen another C10 but these pipes do sound niceā€¦

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 03:29:08 pm »
CRocker sent me some new exhaust seals/gaskets. Thanks again. I will use the old ones to trial fit it and for a test run if I ever get it fully installed. I'll save my shiny new ones for the final time I torque the exhaust header pipes to the engine.

I held the header up and took some measurements. The radiator bracket/stay is definitely in the way and the radiator (and oil cooler) needs moved forwards about a 1/2 inch or so (a full inch would be perfect). The coolant overflow will need to be relocated too. The collector area will also need some fitting and tweaks. The fairing will need to be modified or maybe with the middle and lower panels removed (half naked).

By the time the header was delivered, I had convinced myself this project was going to be too much for me, but now that I have it in hand, I really think I can do it, especially since I see from the last photo I posted that it has been done before. The header has a little outer surface rust on it, but it's not bad. The head pipe bends appear to be all nice mandrel bends. The header looks very well made. The head pipes are about 1/4" larger outside diameter than the stock Concours head pipes. The collector slip fitting is 2-1/2" diameter. I wonder what mufflers will fit?

Pretty cool. I really think I can get this header installed. But, it might be a month or two before I start messing with the exhaust.  I should have taken a photo of me holding it up comparing it, but I was in a hurry to put the fairing back together. The only thing I need to do before taking it out on a test ride is adjust the lowering links down another 1/2". Back later, I plan to take a long ride today.