Author Topic: ZZR1200 Alternator Upgrade  (Read 784 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

• Road Bike
  • 2004 C10
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
ZZR1200 Alternator Upgrade
« on: April 17, 2015, 01:48:35 am »
Is there a concise thread or paper on the ZZR 1200 Alternator Upgrade?
Something without all the extraneous conversations so a layman can follow it?  Especially interested in information on a prefabbed wiring adapter.  Basically looking for plug and play.  Anyone sell a kit?

Any reason to change out the cam chain tensioner while doing this?  I see a couple threads on noise or failure for this part.

TIA

Offline gottaride

• Crotch Rocket
  • 1994 concours
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10652
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: ZZR1200 Alternator Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03:49 pm »
You've probably read the thread I wrote last month regarding installation of the ZZR1200 alternator in my '94 entitled " ZZR alternator wiring dilemma". You will very likely have no luck finding a plug and play harness So you`ll have to suck it up and make your own or have someone do it for you. Have you Googled Brock Delp Concours yet? He has a website that has an article on the installation with great photos. If you've done some wiring and soldering this is something you can do. I`d be happy to try and answer any questions you have. I`m no expert it's just that I got some great help in overcoming what at the time seemed like a big confusing deal but in reality was just a few minor bumps along the trail.

I installed an APE cam chain tensioner while the stock one was removed during the alternator installation. The convenience of an automatically self adjusting tensioner like the stock unit is undermined by it's tendency to be installed incorrectly and thus not work properly or to not be bang on all the time. A manual adjuster requires routine adjustment but if this is done say with every oil change results in a reliably tensioned happy cam chain. This is entirely based on reading the reports of COGgers ahead of my on this road.

Have you got a ZZR1200 alternator yet?

Offline oldsmoboat

• Road Bike
  • 2004 C10
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:11:52 am »
Thanks.
I did read your thread, that's why I posed this question...  :017:  Sometimes the discussions clouds up the content for me.

Just googled Delp, that's a great article.  Thanks.

I don't have an alternator yet, once I am sure I can tackle this I'll be off to ebay to check prices and then contact a local shop to see what they will charge to rebuild it..

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:10:18 pm by oldsmoboat »

Offline gottaride

• Crotch Rocket
  • 1994 concours
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10652
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 07:15:57 pm »
You're not alone in befuddlement. In my case the level of expertise offered and the various viewpoints offered at times complicate things. As has been said there a plenty of difference ways to go about doing the same thing so no one is to blame. My being relatively inexperienced but curious to learn  often leads to differing viewpoints being generously offered. Of course now that it's done I can look back and laugh at how simple it is. The consequences or screwing up were what got me searching absolutes.

When you are shopping for an alternator aside from it's condition ask to see if it comes with the stock wiring..both leads or at least the plastic plug in harness. While you're doing the alt it 's a great time to look at replacing not just the CTT but inspecting/servicing the waterpump. Get it all done in one go.

I should send out a thanks to each person that kindly helped answer my many questions. You guys are the great.