Author Topic: ~Correction~ Now Selling :(  (Read 4423 times)

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
~Correction~ Now Selling :(
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:33:53 am »
Hi, New here if that was not already apparent, recently became the owner of a Concours ZG1000 which to be honest has seen better days. Having issues with the number 2 carb leaking fuel and the petcock seems jammed, bike will start but only with choke and dies if you even go near the throttle. If anyone has advice as to the best way to fix this I would be much obliged, however this thread is about something else was just giving a little back ground on the bike.

The owner before me had laid it down on both sides so the fairings need to be replaced. Now I figure it might be a pain in the arse but was wondering if anyone might know if I could take the front fairings from a ZG1400 ( Whole front, and side engine ) and replace the front on my ZG1000. Would be awesome to find out that they both have the same mount patterns but am doubting it. So if they don't just bolt right up can I cut the 1000 mounts and weld them to where the 1400 should be?

Most likely not something I am sure anyone would recommend but having a hard time finding ZG1000 fairings ( Red ) and can find complete ZG1400 fairings...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:22:59 pm by HaVoC »

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • COG#: 11328
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Wanting to customize my ZG1000
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:58:36 am »
The Wizard has Connie parts.Also welcome to our part of the world.   Jerry Gaither
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:06:40 am »
Thank you The Wizard. If I do end up going with OEM parts and just trying to restore the poor girl I would need Fairings wheel to wheel, seat, Engine plates, mufflers, and anything else I may not of noticed yet. I got her for a steal at only 500 bucks and the engine runs good but something is wrong with the fuel system. Mainly just cosmetic damage from being laid down aside from the fuel issue.

I think I just liked the front end of the ZG1400 over the older ZG1000 and if could be done within reason would love to give her a facelift. Either way I have every plane of restoring this bike to her former glory and can not wait to take her out for the first ride.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:35:55 am »
I ave a bunch of you tube video's that will help go to you tube, the intro video is "if you own a zg1000 concours" I think you'll learn alot. watch the video on hydrolock also... you may be holding off on the bodywork issue till you get the bike sorted out. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:44:05 am »
Thank you Steve, I will go check those out as soon as I post this. Indeed the body work is going to come last but never hurts to get some info when doing something stupidly drastic like converting the whole front fairing mounts. It seems far more of a pain and custom work to convert the front with a ZG1400 then it is seemingly worth from what I have found out thus far. However I will add that before a single cosmetic issue is addressed the bike its self will be restored.

I keep hearing about this hyperlock being common with this bike and will for sure be doing as much research as I can find out it and how to prevent. As this bike is a prime subject of this happening given poorly maintained by last owner and sitting for a year or 2 untouched. I make no mistake that I may of got the bike for a cheap price but will cost more then I paid for it to get her back on the road. A bike does not deserve to be treated so poorly and I will take great pride in bringing it back from the brink.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:04:20 am »
   You do have a project bike for sure. As Steve in Sunny Florida says watch his video on hydrolock before you put any money into you C10. If you are good there then you can move onto other items. Watch Steve's other videos for more info on the bike. Steve specializes in C10's and will not steer you wrong.  :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:51:28 am »
Noted, and thank you for the advice. From what I gather thus far not only will this forum be priceless help but you most certainly cant seem to go wrong in listening to what Steve has to say. I will gladly accept every word of advice. After some research into this forum as well some of Steve's vids I think it would be best to rebuild it from the frame out that way I can cover just about everything. If I am going to invest this kind of time, money, blood, and effort into something I was hoping to be riding ALOT sooner then it seems I will be... I might as well customize it. I still have not come upon anyone that has attempted anything close to a fairing conversion as I have considered and think, after the mechanics are sound, I might just make a true effort into finding out what would need to be changed to use ZG1400 Front fairings while still trying to stay as true to the ZG1000 as I can given what I am changing.

Not really sure where to post any new pics of this project as I go so unless anyone objects I will post them here. Already have "as it sits" pics up at the top. I will take pics as I dismantle. If anyone who happens to check these pics out notices something about the bike that I may not off please let me know. I have never attempted a build like this on anything let alone a bike. Kind of want to get it all right in the first go and do this bike good. Have not a clue why I am so taken with this old ZG1000 but I am and for some reason am bent trying to make it something to be proud of and one of a kind.

Also, already finding that some parts are harder to come by and I will post any such parts and if anyone might know where to find it I would be much obliged. Anyway, have tons of vids to watch and more research so I will bring this overly long winded post to an end.

Update: It is a 87 zg1000, MSC kaw1271000. It has/is hydrolock(ed) and I will begin the process of doing the hydrolock test on the rods first thing tomorrow. Hopefully no damage has been done to the rods. Also have confirmed the petcock it complete junk, and the airbox is broken beyond repair. The cheapest I can find a replacement airbox is $125.00, if anyone knows where to get one cheaper please let me know, however with that said I do want quality over anything so if 125 is the cheapest I can get a good airbox then so be it. Well I will find out more about this poor bike when I dismantle it for the rod test and I hope I find nothing else wrong. Also thank you Steve for your vids they have saved me so much time and now I know much more about what is wrong with the poor ol girl.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:09:17 am by HaVoC »

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:29 am »
What do you mean by #2 carb leaking? Whereabouts? These airbox develop cracks on the foward facing bottom seam, if that's what your talking about Steve also has a video on that repair.

What is petcock doing?

I have a spare airbox if you find yours is truly beyond repair that I could part with for much less. With shipping across country you may find one closer for less shipping cost. Let me dig it out and get dimensions for shipping cost, pm zip code.

I see you have a manual cam chain tensioner, good thing to have, research proper adjustment down the road when you get more important things sorted out.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline kz

• Moped
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 10:28:30 am »
Didn't care much for the sail up front so I ditched it.

1987 ZG1000

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:38 am »
the number 2 carb is leaking from the intake boot it looks mostly, but when last tried to start it fuel started poring out of the air filter and I figured at the time I better stop everything I was doing before it tore the engine up. Airbox is missing the entire back half where the filter is, and I do mean the entire back half, will have more pics of it when I start dismantling later which thanks to Steve's vids I am far more confident in doing armed with the knowledge I gained. As far as the petcock goes... Its jammed mostly between prime and run, also has this gunk built up all around it both front and back. Seems to be leaking a fair amount of fuel its self as well.

As great full as I am for the knowledge I was able to gain in but one night of research here I have found this poor bike to be in far worse condition then I had even came close to thinking and this is just what I can see as it sits. I am almost afraid to break it down and find out what else is going to cost me an arm and a leg. I will by all means fix it still but rather then getting it going in a reasonable amount of time for work is not seemingly an option anymore. This bike needs some serious TLC, money, and know how. TLC no problem, Money... EH will just take me a lot longer to get the 2K + in parts I will need if dang near everything needs replaced.

KZ, that is a great looking bike! Clean, simple, elegant and yet almost screams untamed beast. At least this is my opinion lol. I hope I can make mine be how I see it in my head but the mechanical issues are quickly piling up.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:15 am »
Check to see what the inside of the gas tank looks like. You don't want to replace petcock, (have) carbs cleaned and find out you gunk them all up with sediment from a bunked up gas tank.

When you take the tank off to check piston height (take the side covers below the tank off first so you don't scratch em up more) with the petcock on (12/6oclock position) you shouldn't have any gas coming out petcock. If you do the petcock is bad.

Sounds like #2 carb has float/needle valve issues too. It is a little costly but Steve is the carb guru to send the carbs to once you find out if you have a sound motor and decide to proceed with the resto.

Good luck.

Ps when you have the spark plugs removed for bent rod test if you turn motor over with the starter for any reason get the coil leads away or disconnected, no nearby ignition sources (drop light etc.)and put a rag over spark plug holes because if you have fuel in the cylinder(s) it will geyser out of there AMHIK.

Offline LHartman

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11587
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 11:53:25 am »
Been close to where you are at when I got my bike.  Carbs to SISF, replaced chain tensioner, new wires, plugs, t-stat, hoses, o-rings.  Thought I was good to go....... not.  Took it for a spin and just as I hit the gravel drive off the pavement, the front caliper wouldn't release; down I went when I hit the gravel.  Check/rebuild calipers and change out clutch and brake fluids.  I then had starter tensioner making a bunch of racket.... replaced.  Then I had the cam chain links crack... replaced.  In reality, everything I have listed is not difficult to do, just time consuming.  The only part of any of the jobs I despise is removing/installing the valve cover.  It gives me fits everytime and I have read and read and watched videos on doing this and it never comes out simple for me.  However, I have only removed it about ten times, so I suppose I need more practice.   :(  When she comes to life, she's a lot of fun.  Don't hesitate to ask questions, even if you think they are stupid.  I have done it and came away for the better.  Without these guys on here, the bike would still be in the shop collecting dust.  Good luck.

Loren
1995 Concours.  NE Washington
COG# 11587

Online DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 03:58:37 pm »
Welcome Havoc. How have you determined that you have/had a hydrolock? That and about $2K more to bring the bike up to spiff, I say don't bother. You will be at 2000 + cost + plus your time. You could find a good working, newer bike for that or less. Part this bike out. You learn just by parting a bike out.

You will learn plenty from maintaining a good old bike than having to take on a the headache and expense of a salvage project. Now, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket... sure why not!

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »
I have been thinking maybe I am better off just trying to flip it. I would be lucky to get the $500 I paid for it tho, and I have yet to really dig into the bike in any depth. Sadly money is going to be an issue with this project. I am still going to dismantle it enough to get a good idea on what exactly needs to be done, it may still be worth it if the engine its self is ok and is just the fuel system that is needing sorted out.

90% of the high cost to restore this bike is really coming from all the cosmetic damage to the fairings and engine plates. Add mufflers, tires, airbox, and few other odds and ends and it added up quickly. Still tho I have yet to make up my mind but am about to go out and at least get the fairings, tank, and carbs off. I will be sure to take a few pics and post them in a bit. As I am sure you guys will know what your looking at better then I.

O and I am only guessing it has either in the past or is currently hydrolocked, as it does fit every possible issue that would cause hydrolock and after the vids on the subject it seems to be the best fit but I will be the first to say I could very well be wrong. It is most for flooded out at least one of the cyl. to the point it leaks from the second carb both out of the intake boot, from under the carb, and even comes out of the air filter. Also leaks fuel from the petcock as well as it being jammed. If its not hydrolocked... I would say it is well on its way.

Anyway, bike is not going to take its self apart, will return later with more info and pics.

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 07:56:27 pm »
Assuming that the engine is good. 
Get the carbs done. 
Get it running. 
Strip the cosmetics issues and make it a naked bike like KZ's. 
Then flip it, or enjoy it.   :motonoises:

Just a thought.
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Online DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »
kkja has the right idea.

your bike starts, that's half the battle. get it running well with minimal expense... and a running structurally good bike even with cosmetic flaws is usually worth 800-1000 if you choose to flip it.

your bike looks complete. forget about those fairings. they are expensive and of no consequence.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 10:02:27 pm »
The hydrolock itself is an issue that can be dealt with. what really becomes a much bigger issue is if the rod (s) bend because of hydrolocks. so just because it's hydro'd now or in the past, the only answer to "where do i go from here" is to do the hydrolock rod test. Decisions to be made after that. Steve

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
Well I was unable to get the carbs out but got it opened up pretty good, as the following pics will show, and there is no other way to say this then its a joke under that seat and tank. Almost nothing is bolted down like it should be, the ENTIRE airbox is missing aside from some rigged up crap to whats left of the boots... which are not even seated right. Seems like there are a couple spots where there should be a line of some sort ran to and of course there is not... IE under the tank on the right side. Petcock did finally give and was able to shut the fuel off but it looks it pretty sorry shape, could use a good cleaning no doubt. Still can not hunt down exactly where the fuel is coming out of the second carb but the spots most covered in gas are directly under the number two carb and from whats left of the airbox boot.

Also glad I watched the vid about water pump issues cause sure enough it is leaking oil from the left side of the bike right where the pump is, wont know for sure till I can get a better look at the bottom of the pump.

Yes the poor ol girl is a mess, however pricey some of the obvoise things needing replaced I am not sure it is not worth trying to save. Seems more the case it was just tossed back together with no reguard which might easily explain the fuel leakage or why it wont stay running. Will dive in a bit deeper at a later point and for sure will be doing a rod check on it. Still, I feel like I need to decide if I am going to fix it... or just part whats left of the poor thing out.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 11:41:53 pm »
Wow, I would be surprised to see it run with that air cleaner setup.
What I would do:
1.Get the piston height check done to confirm it doesn't have a bent rod.
2. Check inside of gas tank to see if it is rusted.
Check the seams on the outside of the tank too where they meet on the bottom of the tank for bubbling paint indicating rusting out from the bottom of the tank where water accumulates at the bottom of the tank.

Then take it from there if you want to do the rest of the job.

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 12:06:01 am »
Went ahead and pulled the carbs and with a praise to the sky I do not think she is as bad off as it was looking. At first glance neither the airbox, or lack there of, or the boots on the intake were seated right. Also it seems both 1 and 2 carbs have bad seals at their bottom. Now not entirely sure but compared to the vid it seems that they are not in sync either but am not 100% on that. I say may not be cause the screws do not line up, all 3 are in different positions, here are some pics.

Also, I was wondering if I still need to replace the airbox if I went with the 4 K&N filters instead?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:28:13 am by HaVoC »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: ~Correction~ Trying to rebuild my ZG1000
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 12:51:26 am »
that surely is a mess....
I bought an exact same bike as you have as a parts bike, for $550, and ended up spending almost $4k, shopping for parts on ebay, and 5 months of labor, to make it what I called COGZilla.
it was one of the first nekid Connis that could be considered asthetically pleasing and correct. id expect in todays marketplace you would likely spend $6k to replicate it. I was the Tech editor back then, and know the C10 inside out, that job is not a simple one.....

photos here
http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/MAN_OF_BLUES/library/old%201/COGZilla-before?sort=3&src=wap&page=1

and here

http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/MAN_OF_BLUES/library/old%201/COGZilla%20after?sort=3&src=wap&page=1

in could end up like this...

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:01:52 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 12:56:46 am »
With out a doubt this is by no means going to be a simple task, or cheap, but like others have said she will start now get her running and don't worry about the cosmetic right now. After diving into the fuel system and finding that as long as a rod is not bent I do not think it is in bad a shape mechanically as I first predicted. To be honest it really just seems like some one did a piss poor job of putting the fuel system back together and cut every corner they could... no wonder the poor thing wont run. I figure that about 700 to 800 bucks should get her back on the road... just wont be a looker lol.

Before I go any further tho I am awaiting feedback on the carb cause in my UN-experienced opinion it seems to be the source of the whole issue.

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 01:02:15 am »
Wow! I do have to say Man of Blues you turned coal into gold. I have a picture of my bike in my head, its how I see it every time I look at it even since I found it rotting away in some ones barn. I don't know how practical it might be or if I can pull it off but as I said before once she is running sound I have every plan to try to mold both the ZG1400 front with my ZG1000 rear, as well just about every performance part I can get... like the 4 K&N air filters for example.

However I am far from starting that crazy idea, right now I would just like to hear it run.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 01:06:15 am »
What feedback do you need on the carbs? it's simple, they need to be disassembled, deracked and thoroughly cleaned, the fuel rail and vent orings replaced, the bowl and pilot orings replaced, fuel needles replaced, fuel floats checked for leaks, and float heights set, jetting needs to be done, overflows need to be installed, All of the slide diaphrams need to be inspected and if any are ripped you need to replace the slide assy, the petcock needs to be replaced along with cleaning the tank and replacing the fuel hose. Confirm proper fuel levels before proceeding. Replace the airbox, forget the k&n's you can get airboxes cheap on ebay. Simple, eh  ;)  Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 01:09:03 am »

make it run first, forget about C14 fairing, I have one, it will never work.
you also need to address every single rubber part on the bike, hoses, bushings, seals, tires, etc.... that alone will keep you busy and broke.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...