Author Topic: Locked up the front tire during a test ride  (Read 1751 times)

Offline JohnJuan

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Locked up the front tire during a test ride
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:13:29 pm »
So I've been shopping for a Concours and managed to get a test ride. On the way our of the neighborhood, I came upon a stop sign that had been obscured bny a tree. After I noticed it, I clamped down on the front brake pretty hard, and the front slid right out. I had slowed from about 20 to about 5-10 mph. I scraped up the right fairings a bit, and broke the right foot peg mount. I've paid the owner for the mount, and I'm probably going back early next week to give it another shot and buy the bike.

This after 30k miles on a 2012 Z1000. I'm definitely replacing that front tire immediately.

Offline Shawn

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Locked up the front tire during a test ride
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
JJ, although I haven't had the unfortunate experience of clamping down on that front brake and going down...I'm sure you will get plenty of replies to that effect....and the outcome is usually never good.  Not questioning your riding skills, but clamping down on that front brake with the bars askew at all will cause you to go down unless you're a 'monster of a man' with a ton of upper body strength and legs like tree trunks...and even then...it's a tough task.

Don't know the condition of the front tire, but it likely had as much to do with hitting that front brake hard and not being straight up.

PS - the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I am so conscience of it from other COGger's stories.

'14 C14 Black

Run With The Wolf 9-11 Sep
Barber's Vintage Festival 6-9 Oct

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:07:58 pm »
I am glad you are OK. What bike was it? C10/C14? Clamping down on the front brakes like that is always scary. Were you in a turn or riding straight?

How was the owner? Was he pissed off?

If you buy the bike this can be your CDA event #1.

Offline JohnJuan

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 03:41:07 pm »
C10, 1999. I've agreed to buy the bike now.

I was riding straight, but downhill. The blacktop also had a patch that I think the front tire transitioned onto right before the lockup. The tire slid left and the bike tipped over to the right. I was a little surprised to find it still running after I stood up, but I hit the kill switch pretty quick. I stood the bike up and rolled it over to the curb and put it on the kickstand. The owner panicked a bit when he got on and it wouldn't start, but then noticed the kill switch was still set to off.

The owner was more interested in making sure that I was ok than anything. He brought out water, and his wife got me some first aid stuff to clean and band-aid the scrape the bike gave me as I came off. He pushed a little more for me to buy the bike today, and I wanted to anyway, so we made a deal.

Offline JohnJuan

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:45:43 pm »
So I bought the bike, and rode it to work today, and I think one of the front rotors is warped, because the bike pules something horrible under braking. I suspect that it's due to the drop, so I'll probably get a new rotor ordered after checking over the current pair tonight.

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »
Congrats on your purchase. How did you hit the rotors? Curb? Clean and maybe sand your pads and rotors.

Offline Shawn

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 01:54:56 pm »
So I bought the bike, and rode it to work today, and I think one of the front rotors is warped, because the bike pules something horrible under braking. I suspect that it's due to the drop, so I'll probably get a new rotor ordered after checking over the current pair tonight.

Happy to hear you got the bike, despite the mishap.  I meant to post a 'sorry for assuming the bars were askew' back when you replied.  Like I said, that is something I am always conscience of and is involved in a lot of slow speed drops.  Have fun and ride safe once you get the rotor thing figured out. :motonoises: 
'14 C14 Black

Run With The Wolf 9-11 Sep
Barber's Vintage Festival 6-9 Oct

Offline JohnJuan

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 03:10:40 pm »
Happy to hear you got the bike, despite the mishap.  I meant to post a 'sorry for assuming the bars were askew' back when you replied.  Like I said, that is something I am always conscience of and is involved in a lot of slow speed drops.  Have fun and ride safe once you get the rotor thing figured out. :motonoises:

That's ok, no hard feelings. I'm really liking the bike otherwise.

Offline rick

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 03:30:32 pm »

You could be right about the rotor, but you might want to check the front bearings as well.  My rotors are fine but experience similar symptoms that eventually proved to be caused by the bearings. 

Offline JohnJuan

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 03:57:22 pm »
You could be right about the rotor, but you might want to check the front bearings as well.  My rotors are fine but experience similar symptoms that eventually proved to be caused by the bearings.

For $18, I'll get a set ordered. I'll replace them just in case. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline rick

• Scooter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 05:25:12 pm »

For $18, I'll get a set ordered. I'll replace them just in case. Thanks for the suggestion!

A good practice would be to change them with every tire change.  Same with the rear.

Congrats on owning a concours.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 08:52:33 pm »
Change them once for a set of high quality bearings and never think about them again for at least 100k miles. That is what is did and went 120k miles- and still going
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 12:40:59 am »
I replace mine about every 25k.  Never had a set go bad before 29k.  Even cheapy All Balls bearings have done alright for me.  Though they are my last choice.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline JohnJuan

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 12:31:49 pm »
I've got a set from All Balls, and they'll get installed this week when the replacement discs come in.

Offline rick

• Scooter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 04:56:40 pm »
One of my front bearings failed and was a nightmare to change (right front).  Don't want to do that again, for sure.

Incidentally, brought it a more-than-competent bike shop and they had hell with it.  Even with their custom made tools for just such an occasion.  In the end, it had to be ground out.  Overall, about a 3 hour ordeal.