• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Curves to the Coast '23 - 07/22/2023

fastenova

It's time once again for a nice long day riding through the beautiful Willamette Valley on our way to the Oregon Coast! Event page here.

This is a repeat of last year's route, with a possible change of lunch venue. More to come on that soon. I'm hopeful that this year we'll be able to take the short ferry ride across the river, so bring a few bucks cash with you... Maybe we can fill the ferry up with COGgers!

Hope to see some of you again for a great ride!

Aaron

It appears that the Ferry will be running on the weekends, so bring a couple of dollars for the ferry ride. good photo op!
-tdbru

tdbru and I had the chance to ride this route yesterday, ferry will indeed be running and roads are looking pretty good.

Hwy 180 had a decent amount of pea gravel in places, and the RR crossing labeled "VERY rough" is slightly worse than last year. Some stretches of 229 along the Siletz river have dips and uneven pavement so be prepared for a technical ride through this mix of sweepers and tight twisties... Not difficult, just technical at times, if you're riding at or above a brisk pace! Had a blast and was smiling at the rest stop at the end of this section :)

We have a different lunch stop in mind that has better parking and more room to accommodate a large group. Can confirm the food is excellent and the portions are huge.

Looking forward to a great ride in a few weeks!

I would encourage all the Oregon Coggers to make this ride. definitely a great mix of central and coastal oregon. scenic sections, technical sections, farmland, mountain twisties, ocean views. Many photo ops for those so inclined. And how often will you get to take your bike on a ferry ride, albeit just across the wilamette river. come meet up with fellow Coggers and have a great ride.
-tdbru

It's time once again for a nice long day riding through the beautiful Willamette Valley on our way to the Oregon Coast! Event page here.

This is a repeat of last year's route, with a possible change of lunch venue. More to come on that soon. I'm hopeful that this year we'll be able to take the short ferry ride across the river, so bring a few bucks cash with you... Maybe we can fill the ferry up with COGgers!

Hope to see some of you again for a great ride!

Aaron
Thanks for posting this ride! It was a fantastic trip last year. Unfortunately, the way the schedule has worked out, I won’t make it there this year. Can you put this ride in the calendar for 2024?

Have a great trip!

Jesal

if you can make the ride, please register. that way we can tell the restaurant how many to expect so they can hold a big enough (or small enough) table for us.
thanks,
tdbru

Thanks for posting this ride! It was a fantastic trip last year. Unfortunately, the way the schedule has worked out, I won’t make it there this year. Can you put this ride in the calendar for 2024?

Have a great trip!

Jesal
I'll pick a date and get it on the calendar much earlier for next year. Sorry you can't make it but hopefully you can take the day for a nice day ride closer to home :D

Heads up that I have an updated GPX file for this route <attached>. It hasn't gotten updated on the event page yet. Google Maps route here. The "Main Route - Ferry Open" is looking good, as of today the ferry is operating normally.

Only real notable change from last year is the lunch stop, "Rusty Truck Brewing" (4649 SE Hwy 101, Lincoln City, OR 97367) instead of "Autobahn 101".

I'll be at the diner around 7:15 on Saturday to get some breakfast and coffee for anyone who'd like to start the ride with a full belly!

Looking forward to it!
Aaron

Attachments

• Curves to Coast Loop - 07-22-2023.zip
    391.7 KB · Views: 61

Have a great trip!

Jesal
Hi Aaron. Can you please post a placeholder in the events calendar for this ride for this year? I have to block out my 2024 holiday time from work. Kind regards. Jesal.

I hope Jesal can make it this year. Would be good to see him and ride with him (and the rest of you fine gents)

Thanks guys - we're firming up dates now. We're looking at a different route but it will still be filled with fun, twisty roads, a great lunch stop, and the obligatory ferry ride, this time across the Columbia, plus a four-mile long bridge.

Dates to come shortly with the official COG event posting after.

Aaron

It looks like July 13th is the official date - I've made a new post here.

Official COG Event will be posted later this month.

Last edited:
Can't wait to ride with you all! My wife & I are now owners of a house just off Hwy 30 near Westport. We're beginning the moving process in a few weeks, and I should be out there full-time by the end of May. Aaron has already reached out to me about this ride, and it is on my calendar.