• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dash Lights

bpdutton

The light on the fuel gauge side of my instrument cluster burnt out, so I bought new bulbs to replace them all seeing as how they have all been in there since I bought the bike 9 years ago. I replaced them all, and as soon as I energized the cluster to check them out, the same one by the fuel gauge blew out. I put one of the good old bulbs in there and it too immediately blew when energized. Not much to this since all you do is plug in the new bulb. I wanted to ride so I put the bike back together with the blown out light.

My question is, can this be a problem with something other than the cluster? Like the J box maybe? Or do I have to tear the cluster apart and try to diagnose it somehow. (I'm not very good at debugging electrical problems.) Any help would be appreciated.

If it is always the same which grid, it can not come from the fuse box, certainly the wiring, it is the bulb which makes fuse.
Check all masses, do not hesitate to disassemble and grater.
Do not hesitate to feed with a direct mass of the battery the electrical harness of the dashboard, as for the CDI.
1697262726-masse-tableaude-bord.jpg

Last edited:
Cluster lights are on a common rail, so any voltage spike would affect all. Your good old bulb may have failed just from handling. Are you sure it is actually burned out? Sounds more like a lack of voltage/corrosion issue at that bulb location.

I used led bulbs from superbrightleds.com The background lighting is green 4 ea 194-g5: green bulbs. The clock is the (1) 74-ghp: green. The indicators are the 194-g4 in green, blue, and red. I found that the high beam indicator was too bright with 194-b4-90 so I have now replaced it with the 194-B-90: blue 90 degree it is a lower wattage bulb and not as bright. The part numbers are off the receipt when I bought them in 2017, and 2019. I had to search around their site a while to fine the ones I wanted. People have used blue and white for the background also.

Remove the windshield, then the instrument cluster. The bulbs are removable from the back. Test the lighting before you bolt the instruments back in, some led only work if installed the correct way. If it doesn't work remove the bulb turn 180 and reinstall.

174-GHP: Green$1.95
4194-G5: Green$3.49
3194-G4-90: Green Wide$2.59
1194-B4-90: Blue Wide$2.59
1194-R4-90: Red Wide

2194-B-90: Blue 90 Degree$0.99
1697291085252.jpeg

Cluster lights are on a common rail, so any voltage spike would affect all. Your good old bulb may have failed just from handling. Are you sure it is actually burned out? Sounds more like a lack of voltage/corrosion issue at that bulb location.
Not really sure what ferabern is saying, but it sounds like the problem is with the cluster. Yes, bulbs were burned out - had black inside glass and filament was broken. I didn't see any rust or corrosion - that location looked like all the others. I guess I'll pull the cluster again and look closer. Thanks.

Check the voltages ⚡️ on all of the background light sockets. They should be the same. All 4 background/ meter lights get power from the same point. They are on the same circuit as the front signal running lights, from the ignition switch. The red/blue wire to the large connector of the meter assembly. They ground on the black/yellow in the small connector.