• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Float valve adjustment values

skikir

So, my wife side swiped my 2000 Connie while backing out of the drive and knocked it over an embankment.  Buggered up the Cowling.  Looks like Kawasaki has stopped stocking the cowling.  Epay was no help!  Found a 2006 on Craigslist for $1600 with less than 40K miles (that's virtually a new bike!)  Laid the guilt trip on the wife and bought it.  I was thinking I could save money and transfer all my farkles over to the new bike.  Ha.  New bike had all the same add on's.  The PO was a tractor driver (AKA a Harley.  Why would anyone want to ride something that looks like, rides like and sounds like an old farm tractor with a rotted out muffler?)  http://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/laugh.gif  Anyway, I think he bought this as a quick turnaround profit deal since he knew nothing about Connies.  He did mention that the place he got the bike "went through the carbs."  I think they went through them like idiots.  The bike rides like it is running lean.  Probably needs valve adjustments too.  Looking at my manual only goes up to '02 so before I pull the carbs I was wondering what the float valve measurements were.  Probably different than my '00.  If not then I'll Xfer my old carbs over.  Old bike still runs great.  So could some Gentleman out there provide me with float valve measurements?

Funny thing, I always did not like the old bike in red but now my new bike in navy blue (the color I wanted) I do not like at all!  I could go months and not wash it but with this color you look at it and its filthy.  Plus I don't anyone sees it.

No carbbie changes on the '06. Have fun.

The only possible gotcha on the '06 is that some of them had oil pump issues. A search on this forum would fill you in on the info.

If you don't like the color, then have it painted one you like.  You could have bigger problems, like a busted crappy looking fairing and a bunch of scratches.  Be happy with what you have.  There are many folks in the world that would love to have your problems. :)

Bud said:
If you don't like the color, then have it painted one you like.  You could have bigger problems, like a busted crappy looking fairing and a bunch of scratches.  Be happy with what you have.  There are many folks in the world that would love to have your problems. :)

Really. My '95 fairing has been repaired many times due to self-inflicted issues with keeping it on a vertical plane. Keep a good supply of Oatey ABS cement around just for those special occasions.

back to the question;
all year models share the same carb specs, with the bowls off, and carbs tilted at 45*
the measurement is 17mm from the casting face, over the float...

you can make a "simple" check gage out of carboard, to simplify the task shape it like a [ (bracket)...  with the 17mm dimension from the ends of the "short legs" to the "inside of the C shaped cutout" on the gage/bracket...

be precise.

Attachments

• float 1.jpg
    float 1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 153
Really. My '95 fairing has been repaired many times due to self-inflicted issues with keeping it on a vertical plane. Keep a good supply of Oatey ABS cement around just for those special occasions.
Just picked up a new can and shredded some old ABS into shaving for Fairing Repair.........stuff works great and is completely sandable.
Edit: Forgot to mention Adding ACETONE helps dissolve the shreds before adding ABS Glue. Go slow and do not make it too thin. Acetone does dry quickly but in volume not so quickly.

Last edited: