• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gpz1100/zx11E airbox install

Motorcyclerider

Installed this 96 gpz1100/zx11E airbox along with the 36mm gpz carbs and zx10 cams I’ve had for a while. The air inlet is smaller then one of the inlets on the zg airbox. I’ve got a little more dialing to due with the jetting but no more cough and it’s never ran better. Although it doesn’t fit perfect. I’ll take it. IMG_0427.jpeg

You can see the size of the inlet here.

Did you also use the other chamber?

That's cool. It really is surprising how small the air intake cross-sectional area needs to be on a motorcycle engine. The air intake on my 600 (which makes around 85hp gross) is only about 3/4" tall and 3 or 4 inches wide. It's tiny. It makes me laugh at the enourmous aftermarket air filters people put on their V-Twins and Choppers, which probably are lucky to be making 100hp.

The chamber on the ZX11 airbox is interesting. I've never looked at them close, but didn't know they used it. It sure looks like some kind of heimholtz resonator, which can serve to improve volumetric efficiency (aka cylinder filling and therefor performance), or reduce noise. I'd assume it's for performance on the ZX11, rather than on cars which are trying harder to reduce noise. Most modern cars have some version of them on the air intake between the filter and throttle body, and the big difference in intake noise (the sound of POWWWERRRRR) from a "cold air" intake is elimination of that resonator.

Some engines used this resonator concept on the intake manifold behind the throttle body too. I had a 2003 VW GTI for a while with 24-valve VR6 that used an intake with selectable valve that opened or closed a set of ports in the intake runners that connected to a resonator chamber. It would open just above idle and then close again higher up in the RPM when the resonator interfered with the intake pulses, rather than helping them. This is different than the selectable runner intakes that used longer and shorter runners, like the original Taurus SHO.

That's cool. It really is surprising how small the air intake cross-sectional area needs to be on a motorcycle engine. The air intake on my 600 (which makes around 85hp gross) is only about 3/4" tall and 3 or 4 inches wide. It's tiny. It makes me laugh at the enourmous aftermarket air filters people put on their V-Twins and Choppers, which probably are lucky to be making 100hp.

The chamber on the ZX11 airbox is interesting. I've never looked at them close, but didn't know they used it. It sure looks like some kind of heimholtz resonator, which can serve to improve volumetric efficiency (aka cylinder filling and therefor performance), or reduce noise. I'd assume it's for performance on the ZX11, rather than on cars which are trying harder to reduce noise. Most modern cars have some version of them on the air intake between the filter and throttle body, and the big difference in intake noise (the sound of POWWWERRRRR) from a "cold air" intake is elimination of that resonator.

Some engines used this resonator concept on the intake manifold behind the throttle body too. I had a 2003 VW GTI for a while with 24-valve VR6 that used an intake with selectable valve that opened or closed a set of ports in the intake runners that connected to a resonator chamber. It would open just above idle and then close again higher up in the RPM when the resonator interfered with the intake pulses, rather than helping them. This is different than the selectable runner intakes that used longer and shorter runners, like the original Taurus SHO.
I think Steve said it but I could be wrong. You only have to fill one cylinder at a time. So you don’t need this huge hole in the airbox. I may try to connect the resonator although it’s a tight fit. The gpz airbox really helped with the low end and midrange. Made the bike more enjoyable with the zx cams. I would like for someone with a 32mm carb bike to try it