• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I'm changing the final drive 42034-1079 coupling. How to shim the shaft?

wdalzell8687

How do I shim the drive? What tolerances? The teeth are quite worn on each end and would be best changed but I see the shims listed and wonder how to check tolerances.??
The manual isn't much help.
thanks
Wayne

I finally figured out what you are doing.

You need to disassemble the gear (42034) off the pinion drive gear and measure what is already used, or just reuse what is there. From looking over the diagram, I believe that that shim (92025/H-U) is picked depending on shim (92025/A-G) which sets the pinion gear position on the final drive gear. Since you are not changing out any final drive gears, nothing should change when changing out 42034.

Shim 92025/H-U is probably there just to make sure there enough threads for the bolt 92015 to thread on the pinion drive gear.

Now you know why most folks just buy a new final drive off ebay.

The adjustment of the conical torques is not easy without a can usually, there are two settings, the square wedges with 4 holes for the between tooth and the round washers of precharge of the conical bearing.
The sprockets must never be separated, they have been factory paired never change or remove the square shims with the four holes.
I find the technical review largely explanatory to do the work and I will not elaborate on more explanations, the translation is not always perfect.;)

Good article. So the 92025/H-U would adjust the preload on the bearing the pinion gear goes through.

Yes, the translation wasn't perfect, but good enough with the pictures sent to understand what is going on.

Thanks guys for all. Turns out that the parts aren't available now so will have to pack it up and wait for a while.
I won't order from Kawasaki Parts Warehouse again. :mad: They won't inform you if parts aren't available. Frustrating when I printed Cancel if any parts not available.
Sam in sales said I needed to phone them to get info. WTF
Good thing I have another bike to ride