• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZG 1000 TIRE RECOMMENDATION

I have Avons front & back. When I bought the bike they were on it. The front has slid out on me just once and I came pretty close to joining Connie Droppers. I was in a turn and the car in front of me put on his brakes. I lightly put mine on but their was sand & light gravel and the front slid out but it regained traction and I managed to keep it upright. When I got home I noticed the front tire had a light film of oil on it. I do not like the Avons.
Can someone recommend a set of great traction tires for this bike. I'am not a racer. Nor do we have any twisties. I just ride to be safe and enjoy. When I almost lost it in the turn it had a full tank of gas. When it slid out it felt extremely heavy in the slide. Being top heavy with all that gas probably did not help me. I was not mentally prepared when this bike slid. I was going really slow and did not think for any reason I was going to be laying on the pavement.
It was a eye opener for me to be careful at all times no matter how slow you are going something bad could happen quickly.

Thanks for any help you can give me on the tires you think are a good grip.

Dean

The best tires in the world will not overcome oil on the roadway. There are several good tires for the C-10. Whick Avons are you running now?

Avon Storm , 3Dxm or the AM26 roadrider (bias ply)are all Avon and very popular choices for our bikes . I have used the Bridgestone Battleaxe (bias ply) also but prefer Avons . There are not alot of options if you want a matched set with our sizes .

I've had good luck with shinko 777's. They are bias ply tires. Jim's right about road hazards. The only thing that will save you is your eyes and the ability to avoid them. My 01 has Michelin commander bias ply tires on it. On the 05 I sold, I was running wing size shinko journey radials.

Tires on the bike now. Jim ask for this info

Front / Avon 120-70-ZR-18
Rear / Avon 150-80-ZR-16

Can I use these Shinko's # 733

Front / 130/70-18 Bias Ply
Rear / 160/80-16 Bias Ply

Bud I know you have used Shinko's before. Can I safely use these. What say you.

Last edited:
Dean, The time you noted that the tire slipped, was not because of the tire.
It was because of the sand/gravel.
NO tire will be 100% slip free when you hit sand/gravel.

I know you're an experienced rider. Know you have your own wants needs.
Everyone has their own preferences on a tire. All we can do is tell you what we've used.

What don't you like about the Avons?
Are you aware that there are 2 different styles of Avons that fit the C-10.
(The Storm and the Spirit)
Shinko also makes the 011 verge in the sizes you're noting.

Jim Snyder used belted/bias ply Tires on his C-10 and loved the ones he used. He can tell you which ones they were.

If you go to a belted/Bias Ply tire, the turn in handling will be slightly slower, particularly if you go to a wider tire.
Additionally most belted tires are a harder compound than a radial. More likely to slip on Gravel/sand.
But a belted might be more stable for cruising the highways.
I repeat; NO tire will be 100% slip free when you hit sand/gravel.

Generally speaking a 120/70 is slightly too wide for the front rim.
NOTE: The Dunlop OEM tire was a custom 120/70 for the Connie.
Many go to a 110/80-18 on the front as "it actually fits" the Connie Front rim more correctly than a 120/70.
Handles better too.
A 130/70 will fit onto the rim but it's a too wide for the rim.

On the rear, a 150/80 fits well. A 160/80 will fit/work, but it's also slightly too big.

I like quick handling and sought a combination that gave it to me.
I currently have a 110/80-ZR18 Metzeler Z8 Interact on my front and squeezed on a 180/60-R16 (unknown brand) on the rear.
NOTE: A 180 rear is "very" oversized, and not recommended. (but squeezing it on changed the profile of the tire for quicker turn in.)

Ride safe, Ted

CONNIE. I do not like the tread pattern on the Avons is all. I came pretty close to being upside down with a 600 pound bike on top of me. I like the Shinko SE890 Journey Radials. 130/70R-18 on the front & SE890 160/80R-16 on the rear. I'am 6.4 240 and I just feel better with a radial tire.

Dean

I follow you. Agree about the radials.
I used the Shinko 011 verge as it came ina 120, but you may not like the 011 pattern..
The 130 wide is pretty wide to fit a Connie front rim.

I tried a Verge with my first Journey. I like the Journey up front better. They handle good enough for me. Just my opinion .

Originally, I loved the Dunop D205s (?). When they became non-available I switched over to the Avon Azaro. I'd run thm previously when Avon sent me a set to try. After a couple of sets of those, I started getting some wierd undulations in the bike at slower speeds. It was like riding a bicycle whose spoked wheels had loosened up. Little did I know that this was the beginning of a QC issue with the company. Those were nice tires and provided a nice confident inspiring ride when I was doing stoopid stuff. After that little episode I did find one more set of the D205s. When they were worn out I decided to go back to the Avons and see if they'd sorted out their issue.

The first set seemed to work out fine. Then the bubble burst. I had two consecutive sets of Avons fail on me, one time leaving me stranded when coming back from a rally a bunch of miles from home. There were only 1200 odd miles on the tire that failed, and Avon promised to send me a replacement. I'm still waiting. Also, at the TN National I ran into a couple of others who had Avon tire failures on the way to the rally and at least one had to be "rescued" and carried to Johnson City by a trailer volunteer. Fortunately, NoMar was there and had tires to replace the failed Avons.

Presently, I'm running a Shinko 733 on the front, and a Shinko 734 in the rear - both bias Wing sizes. Due to the problems I've had with Avons in the past, there's no way in Hades that another set of those tires will ever be mounted on my '95 again. It's a shame, because those were excellent handling tires that also provided a very confortable ride.

FWIW - the Shinkos handle just fine for the type of riding I do now, both in the wet and in the dry.

Nuff said - YMMV.

The last set of tires I ran on my C-10 (before I did the 17" conversion) were the Avon AM-26's. Great handling tire. And yes they are bias ply but you will never know it. Ask anyone who chased me through the twisties in Arkansas.

Jim.. I keep telling you. o_O
You were able to do the krazy speed thru the Arkansas Twisties because "your insane".
ie; Ya weren't able to go that fast because of the handing of the bike.

(It also helps that you have the turns memorized)

Ride safe, Ted

CONNIE. I do not like the tread pattern on the Avons is all. I came pretty close to being upside down with a 600 pound bike on top of me. I like the Shinko SE890 Journey Radials. 130/70R-18 on the front & SE890 160/80R-16 on the rear. I'am 6.4 240 and I just feel better with a radial tire.

Dean

Hey, quick question about those tires; are those Goldwing sized tires? How do they fit on the rim? Any modification or tightness in the fit? How good are they when leaned over? I'll hang off the bike and lean all the way over until I'm scraping my toe, so cornering traction is SUPER important. What about tread life on the rear?

-x01660

They're wing size. They fit as far as I am concerned. Others don't recommend. They feel fine in the twisties for me. Stable and ride well for me. If you're going to push it, buy super sticky tires and forget about the mileage. The ER cost a lot more than tires.
PS: You can still low side with sticky tires.

I'll hang off the bike and lean all the way over until I'm scraping my toe,

Post a photo of your chicken stripe.
Not being a wise apple.
We can tell you more after seeing that.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
X01660. Yes those are wing sizes. A lot of people have used those. Mixed reviews. I never put them on so I can not say ya or na. I will say a few people I highly trust said they were very good tires and the price was right. Had I not of bought the Meanstreak rear rim I would of bought these tires for sure. I bought the Meanstreak Rim over a month ago and still unable to find someone to do the mod for the rotor. I have been to about every machine shop in Mobile Alabama and no-one wants to touch it. I do have a COG member who said he would do it but the freight would be very high back & forth. Very dissapointed I can not get this done. I'am about to give up on it. Anybody want to buy a Meanstreak Rear Rim. I would of never thought that I would of been unable to get this mod done.

Dean

X01660. Yes those are wing sizes. A lot of people have used those. Mixed reviews. I never put them on so I can not say ya or na. I will say a few people I highly trust said they were very good tires and the price was right. Had I not of bought the Meanstreak rear rim I would of bought these tires for sure. I bought the Meanstreak Rim over a month ago and still unable to find someone to do the mod for the rotor. I have been to about every machine shop in Mobile Alabama and no-one wants to touch it. I do have a COG member who said he would do it but the freight would be very high back & forth. Very dissapointed I can not get this done. I'am about to give up on it. Anybody want to buy a Meanstreak Rear Rim. I would of never thought that I would of been unable to get this mod done.

Dean
You don't have to use that method Dean. Some have reduced the thickness of caliper bracket to achieve the same result. It might not be the prettiest, but you can do that yourself.

I'll hang off the bike and lean all the way over until I'm scraping my toe,

Post a photo of your chicken stripe.
Not being a wise apple.
We can tell you more after seeing that.

Ride safe, Ted

My current tire is pretty squared off, and I've noticed slipping in corners. Plus, I haven't had too many spaces to lean over.

You CAN see some strips on my front tire, though. I'll take some pics later and post to Voyager's thread.

I will hang off the bike in a corner to reduce the lean angle of the bike. I also drop my toe down a bit so it hits before the peg feelers...

So maybe I'm not actually leaning the bike over THAT far. I'll have to record some video to see.

That said, I'm looking at either getting a Shinko 999 (I currently have a 777), or splurging and going with a Pirelli. Worried about wet traction and duration with the Pirelli, especially since the majority of my miles are in the city.

-x01660

Don't give up on your wheel yet.

Instead of machining the wheel to re-locate the brake rotor, I'm pretty certain that 1 member moved the caliper bracket over.

Hopefully someone can find that discussion.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Bud you beat me by minutes...

PS #2; Just found this. This work was done by Motorcyclerider

See post #10

I put the rear mean streak on. I used the mean streak caliper and brake caliper bracket. I measured the width I would need for the mean streak bracket with the c10 wheel setup how it normally comes. I measured the amount that would need to come off the bracket and instead of bringing it to a lathe because frankly I’d never do it. I work too much. I used a square to mark how much needed to come off and eyeballed it to get it as flat as I could I had to trim a little extra off the section the of the bracket that the caliper presses against to get it to line up with the rotor just right. Again I just eyeballed it and everything worked great.

1698589123883.png

Last edited:
My current tire is pretty squared off, and I've noticed slipping in corners. Plus, I haven't had too many spaces to lean over.

You CAN see some strips on my front tire, though. I'll take some pics later and post to Voyager's thread.

I will hang off the bike in a corner to reduce the lean angle of the bike. I also drop my toe down a bit so it hits before the peg feelers...

So maybe I'm not actually leaning the bike over THAT far. I'll have to record some video to see.

That said, I'm looking at either getting a Shinko 999 (I currently have a 777), or splurging and going with a Pirelli. Worried about wet traction and duration with the Pirelli, especially since the majority of my miles are in the city.

-x01660
Asking about the rear tire chicken strip because;
If your close or far from the edge, we will know where you are.
But more importantly, if you're beyond the edge, we'll know that too.
Beyond the edge is worse {than close or far} because you're decreasing the amount of rubber in contact with the ground.
If you're beyond, you probably need a radial.

On a Radial motorcycle tire the tread will deform a bit when in a corner.
That deformation increases the contact area more than a belted tire does.

Ride safe, Ted

Asking about the rear tire chicken strip because;
If your close or far from the edge, we will know where you are.
But more importantly, if you're beyond the edge, we'll know that too.
Beyond the edge is worse {than close or far} because you're decreasing the amount of rubber in contact with the ground.
If you're beyond, you probably need a radial.

On a Radial motorcycle tire the tread will deform a bit when in a corner.
That deformation increases the contact area more than a belted tire does.

Ride safe, Ted

Chicken strip posted on my thread.

-x01660

I had Avon 3D-XM set on my C10 and I loved how responsive they were... having said that, I will never get another set of Avons.
I put a set of 3D-XMs on my C14 and ended up replacing both early. Both tires suffered shifted belts.
I was having vibrations at high speed and handlebar shimmying at low speeds after about 3,000 miles. I put it on the center stand and used a grease pencil while spinning the tire - the tire had taken on a slight shape like a Pringles potato chip. Replaced the tire and smoothness returned.
The rear I had to replace on my way to the National a couple thousand miles later for vibrations with lots of tread left.
Great handling...for a while. Not recommended at all.

Interesting... just checked my tires. Running a 120/70ZR18 in the front and a 150/80R16 in the rear.... and the edges of the tire are rock hard. No wonder I've been slipping.....

Think I'll try the Shinko Radials next time around and I'll report back.

-x01660

Reactions: Bud