Author Topic: Goodbye XR1200, hello Connie  (Read 487 times)

Offline AJ

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11155
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Goodbye XR1200, hello Connie
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:41:05 pm »
Jeez, never thought it I'd feel so funny about the thought of selling my Harley XR1200 and likely slowly weaning myself from their forum. It must be though as I picked up a 2008 Connie last night from a private party. Honestly it was curtains for the poor Harley a year ago when I made the mistake of borrowing a friends 2010 and taking the wife and myself out for a hundred+ mile morning ride up to Cold Spring's Tavern north of Santa Barbara CA. Ever since all the mods to the Harley have been to make it more of a sport tourer, my signature is even F.S.T.G. (Frustrated Sport Tourer Guy) on the XR1200 forum. In many respects the efforts made on the Harley worked well and taught me valuable lessons. This is part why there is a sentimental attachment to it because there are so many custom changes made to it by me and of course because it is my first bike after a 25 year break. Ahhh, but change is the constant.

Grew up on motorcycles, raced off road back in New England where I grew up and worked my way through college as a motorcycle wrench. Somewhere along the line in college fell in love with bicycles and before I knew what hit me I was on the US National Team and racing full time. That lead me to moving to sunny SoCal opening my own bicycle shop (which I am now closing after 30 years and retiring to a job with a manufacturer). Never intended to give up motorcycles just sold a 1983 Yamaha Vision because of the 'Vision Stumble' issue and woke up one morning realizing it had been 25 years with a bike?! Getting back on has been a blast and I cannot wait to do some real touring with my new Connie. Looking forward to many hours here to keep my learning curve smaller due to the collective brain trust that is what makes a good forum so valuable.

Thanks to all who make this forum and the whole site what it is!
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle.

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Goodbye XR1200, hello Connie
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »
Welcome!  I made a similar trade, for the exact bike, a year ago and have been beyond pleased with the choice.  There are a few other machines I may have looked at if passenger comfort was nto an issue, but it was.  The c14 is one of a very small group of bikes that are incredibly fun in town, but will carry a passenger in comfort. 

I planned to keep my other bike, but the power, and brakes,  of the c14 are addictive.
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »
Congrats and welcome AJ.  :welcome:

Offline Sport Rider

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:38:42 pm »
Welcome AJ.  For two-up riding, I can't think of a better bike.  I've admired the XR since it came out.