Author Topic: Hello from Phoenix, "new to me" '99 zg1000, already needs work  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10580
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Hello from Phoenix, "new to me" '99 zg1000, already needs work
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 02:51:36 pm »
Thanks for the tips and info guys. I still haven't started working on my Connie, it'll probably start Sunday or Monday, but it's getting hot in Phoenix and obviously my garage like any garage has no A/C.

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 04:00:20 pm »
Yesterday she wasn't peeing everywhere so I took a risk and decided to commute to work with her. It was a dry ride round trip as far as I know. After parking her in the garage for a couple hours I fired her up again and she peed half a cup. This morning I fired her up again and she peed another half cup, but I waited, and she stopped. Emptied her bladder I guess. Uprighted the bike, rolled the throttle a bit, .. no drips, nothing. I decided to take her to work again LOL

I'm pondering maybe putting a literal bladder down there, held up by a pan. Let it drain into the bladder, then every day pull out the bladder and pour the fuel back into the fuel tank. :D :D The drain tube can be just a catheter. 
:))

If he did them they should have the 2MM as well and there should be a foam block in the intake of the air box. If this foam is missing it will cause issues as well.

Hmm I finally rummaged through the big bag of maintenance goodies (screws, manuals, etc) that the seller gave me with the bike. Among the mess was a small block of foam. I haven't checked the airbox yet but I wonder if maybe 2 owners ago Scott did the work and then the last owner saw it, didn't understand it, and took it out. I'll follow up here in a couple days when I have time to finally start dismantling the bike.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:53:59 pm by Stimpy77 »

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 04:17:49 pm »
When I had a Subaru WRX I bought a few mods manufactured by Perrin. Perrin bundled a little decal in their product packaging that said, basically, "Please be aware that this vehicle has been modified outside of its original design and as such may have different performance characteristics and behaviors than the factory design. Your continued use of this vehicle while this modification is in place is your own risk." Etc. I ended up leaving that in the glovebox. It would've been nice if that decal actually spelled out the mod, but it was just a bulk manufactured decal.

Anyway, I'm just thinking that anyone who buys a Shoodaben carbs rework should have a nice laminated "this bike is tweaked" card stuffed in one of the the fairing storage boxes that spells out the proper care and feeding of the carbs and airbox, so that as the bike is worked on or sold the subsequent owners or smarterer mechanics who know how to read can make sense of it.

I'll certainly be putting such one in mine. Laminated.  :great:  I'll eventually post a copy for review after I digest all the advices I've received or otherwise found so far.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:20:59 pm by Stimpy77 »

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »
That would be a good use for the little card holder on the left side cover
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 02:48:20 am »
Hmm I finally rummaged through the big bag of maintenance goodies (screws, manuals, etc) that the seller gave me with the bike. Among the mess was a small block of foam. I haven't checked the airbox yet but I wonder if maybe 2 owners ago Scott did the work and then the last owner saw it, didn't understand it, and took it out. I'll follow up here in a couple days when I have time to finally start dismantling the bike.

SiSF provides TWO pieces of foam with his 2 Minute Mod carbs.  The first piece is a sacrificial one to find out the correct size to make the second one.  You previous owner may not have followed the instructions and quit when he/she felt they were ahead.  Hard to say.  If there is NO foam in place in the airbox then know you're not done tuning yet.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 10:54:35 am »
SiSF provides TWO pieces of foam with his 2 Minute Mod carbs.  The first piece is a sacrificial one to find out the correct size to make the second one.  You previous owner may not have followed the instructions and quit when he/she felt they were ahead.  Hard to say.  If there is NO foam in place in the airbox then know you're not done tuning yet.
The airbox foam was in place :)

We (an experienced wrencher and I) cleaned the carbs yesterday. I'll eventually post a video of the whole experience. Still not fully back on the bike but getting close, I got the cables connected; the engine side boots aren't letting me push the carbs all the way in, gotta pull the carbs back out and grease the boots up.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 12:40:13 pm »
I hope you did not use carb cleaner.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 05:20:20 pm »
I ALWAYS use carb cleaner.  Gumout is my friend.   :beerchug:

It's not the friend of rubber pieces, but isn't usually fatal to them either unless seriously overexposed.  Diaphragms are the most fragile of parts and CAN be ruined by strong solvents.  At the very least  they'll grow by Biblical proportions.   :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:23:42 pm by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 03:55:59 am »
We used carb cleaner. We didn't use it on the diaphragm ;) or on anything that has plastic or rubber, although we did use it on the bowl which has Steve's overflow tube so if he had an o-ring in there well it got carb cleaned lol. We replaced all the parts included in the Murphs kits carb rebuild kit. One of the old gaskets stayed, Steve or a previous owner glued it in there pretty tight.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:59:12 am by Stimpy77 »

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 03:57:30 am »
Got the carbs on the bike and put the gas tank on and fired her up. Holy cow, wow does she purr so smoooooth!!

Oh yeah btw it turned out the overflow problem was probably because all four floats had a float height set to right around 0mm. :D

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 07:32:18 pm »
Describe weird , all Connies are a little clunky going into 1st if thats whats happening .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2017, 02:14:45 am »
She's peeing out the overflow tubes again. I think I might be done here. :'(

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 03:38:05 am »
Got the carbs on the bike and put the gas tank on and fired her up. Holy cow, wow does she purr so smoooooth!!

Oh yeah btw it turned out the overflow problem was probably because all four floats had a float height set to right around 0mm. :D

If Steve set them, they weren't set at 0 mm.
You have a Float valve seat problem.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 02:24:19 pm »
It sounds like the springs in the float valves have given up the ghost.  This would make the float level to high and cause your measurement to be off.  But your mechanic guy should have noticed that I'd think.  This is a major cause of float valve death and leaky carbs.  New float valves on clean seats, correct the float level (not checking inverted but at an angle so the float valves barely touch the seats) and you'll be rocking again.  Stuff happens.  Ya fix it.  Ya ride and smile.   :motonoises:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 04:46:02 pm »
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I replaced everything that came with the MurphsKits rebuild kit, including the valves, before we measured the float height. I'm thinking in addition to cleaning the carbs *again* the gas tank needs to be really thoroughly cleaned out.

Really, I'm not too excited about ripping her open again. I've gotten a few (like, 10) dry, non-peeing days out of her since I bought her, those were fun days, but she hasn't earned enough of my appreciation to do this again yet. I think I might be done.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:31:15 pm by Stimpy77 »

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2017, 07:18:02 pm »
Posted on Craigslist. Thanks for everything.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/6140597291.html
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:56:52 pm by Stimpy77 »

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2017, 08:10:05 pm »
"Castrol GTX motor oil always" well , theres the possible shifting issue . GTX is not a JASO oil . No bueno with wet clutches .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2017, 11:27:13 pm »
Seems like there is much to be learned if one were to read this whole thread (including the craigslist ad) with an open mind.

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2017, 12:11:58 am »
Seems like there is much to be learned if one were to read this whole thread (including the craigslist ad) with an open mind.

Would that happen to be, if you aren't a mechanic or live next door to one that likes you, don't buy an old motorcycle ?   ;)
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2017, 12:34:02 am »
That's one of many.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2017, 12:38:29 am »
Interesting price in the ad.
All evil is accomplished by the imposition of will.

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2017, 12:51:28 am »
FWIW I've gone ahead and started a reclean including starting a new clean of gas tank. I have empied the tank, I am now buying ..

* 6000 BBs (break up rust and gunk) http://amzn.to/2rpKS4H
* Evapo-Rust ER013 (5-gallon) http://amzn.to/2rEu4U4
* Red Kote tank liner http://amzn.to/2r4lthg

I have a petcock rebuild kit from MurphsKit I haven't yet used, now's the time. EDIT: Screw it. Bought a whole new petcock/tap assembly, $67 plus shipping.  I don't trust the filter, which isn't part of the kit. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/1999/ZG1000-A14+Concours/FUEL+TANK/parts.html
I also have a new fuel line from MurphsKit I was told I shouldn't use because a nice one was already on there, but at this point I think I'm gonna use it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:53:54 am by Stimpy77 »

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2017, 01:26:58 am »
Question: While returning the carbs to the engine last Sunday I noticed a hose line coming from the engine back to the carbs, split such that it could reach both sides of the carbs. I found two extra hose connectors on the carbs. Since they fit and positioned perfectly I took a chance and made an uneducated guess to connect these hose ends. Not sure what that hose is for??!

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2017, 06:34:11 pm »
Posted the same question on FB. From Roger Fletcher: "That's a vent line. You did the exact right thing."

EDIT: Actually, I think Roger was thinking I was referring to the short tubes sticking out from top. I was talking about coming from the engine back to the carbs.
I'm gonna assume vacuum.
Think that's 92059 + 92005 + 92059A + 92059B @ http://www.partzilla.com/.../ZG100.../AIR+CLEANER/parts.html
??
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:46:39 am by Stimpy77 »

Offline Stimpy77

• Tricycle
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2017, 08:35:54 pm »

Would that happen to be, if you aren't a mechanic or live next door to one that likes you, don't buy an old motorcycle ?   ;)
I paid $200 for a decades experienced former shop owner former MMI instructor to train me professionally on how to clean my carbs last Sunday. I realize that a person can only consume so much knowledge in a single session, but point being don't think I just poked at my carbs cluelessly. I didn't permanently fix this, but I apparently did fix it for 3 [actually quite wonderful] days, and had at least a clue. But truth be told, most of it is verifiable on YouTube. There are quite a few wrenchers guides on YouTube including cleaning carbs.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:55:58 pm by Stimpy77 »