Author Topic: New member in San Diego  (Read 722 times)

Offline jayzx750

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New member in San Diego
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:36:01 am »
Hello COG, Jay Lombardo here in San Diego.
I just picked up my '10 C14 last Saturday and it seems like a fine bike so far. 

I've been riding for over 50 years (wow, that makes me sound old - oh... I guess I am!! haha) and currently ride a ZX10r, SV650, YFZ450 as well as a Banshee. Just sold my YZ250 - truly a sad day.... :(

I intend to do some longer range riding while still keeping the fun in it, it seems the C is the best choice to do that with.  It isn't that I intended for Kawasaki to be my favorite bike manufacturer (Yamaha is my #2)... it just worked out that way.  The Big K just seems to make the bikes I like!!

So I'm prepping to do the fun stuff - maintenance.
I'm going to start fresh on a complete maintenance schedule next week... valve adjustment, plugs, air & oil filter change, engine and final drive lubricant change, brake fluid swap. Fork oil replacement and a stock '15 shock swap are on the list as well.

It looks like there's a weeping valve cover gasket (or something going on up there) so I need to determine if it's a common issue or the result of some outdated part(s) I should know about and change.

Tire pressure batteries are low so I think I'll use battery replacement as an excuse to spoon on a set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's. I've really liked the performance/longevity of RS II's on my SV commuter, hoping the "improved" III's will be even better!

If anyone has tips, shortcuts, recommendations etc, feel free to enlighten me.
Anyhow, looking forward to chatting it up with you soon.

Maybe see you on the road!! Jay from SanD

Offline Rusty

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: New member in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:04:51 pm »
Hi Jay,  I am the area director in the Southwest and welcome to your new Concours and to the forum! We have a lot of members and riders in San Diego! If you need any help please reach out to me and I will connect you to a person that may be able to help. If you are on Facebook we have a SoCal Concours page you may be interested in also. We do rides down in your area too so I will let you know when we have one coming up! If you want to do a casual ride and looking for someone to ride with let me know too. Look forward to meeting and talking with you soon!

:motonoises:   :motonoises:   :great:

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:21:40 pm »
 :welcome:  Jay!
HMR #6 (May 2-5), Greenbrier, AR

'14 C14 Black

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 03:19:07 pm »
Welcome Jay. Your gonna like it here.
Rusty and his group are fine folks to ride with.

I was in San Diego only once. Didn't get a very good impression of the area though, as I was in Boot-camp at the time...

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Don't believe all the stories Rusty (and Gumby) tell you about me.
      I'm innocent. I was just following them..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:50:22 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline spartan1984

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12860
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 04:56:07 am »
Welcome aboard  :beerchug:
spartan

2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawa Concours

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:23 am »
Welcome aboard.
Here is a post about the oil leaker http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/valve-cover-oil-leak-and-or-cam-sensor/

The cam sensor oring is not well designed if that is where your leak is coming from and murphkits sells an oversize oring to fix the problem.

The search function on here works well when you enter the proper keywords to find solutions.

Think about joining COG as a full time member and there are tech pages available for full member, worth the cost of membership, imo.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:22 am »
Welcome jayzx750! You sound much like myself, 'cept for the old part.  :))I think you will enjoy this machine. I too have owned 30 -40 bikes, ridden hundreds of others, (worked in bike biz), and find that Mama Kaw just keeps drawing me back. Love the Sandy Eggo area, just vacationed there 2 years back and rented a bike to ride up to the new Kawasaki USA HQ. Got a real nice tour.

Lots of great, valuable money saving and money spending ideas on here. So what year SV? My wife had an '03 and I love that little twin. We have two TW-200 Yammies in our fleet and I also ride a naked '05 ZX-10. What gen is yours? My C-14 is a '13, and if your ECU s not flashed just let me say, it makes it a whole new beast...best upgrade I have made next to the Grip Puppies.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Cheers!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Road Runner

• Road Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:49:58 am »
Welcome. Love the San Diego area!!!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area