Author Topic: New Member - Thinking of a Concours  (Read 506 times)

Offline TheEdge900

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New Member - Thinking of a Concours
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:50:38 pm »
Just joined the forum to do some research on Connies.  I find forums are the best way to get information.  I figure in the next year or so I will be getting a new bike and the Concours is on my short list.  For the last six years I  have been commuting on my motorcycle (NC700x) but have started doing more touring since my wife got a bike a few months ago (actually a trike but having a riding partner has been great).  With the touring, I definitely feel the limitations of my bike.  I ride about 12-16k a year.  I have thought about getting a goldwing but the cost is beyond what I want to spend right now.  The Concours seems to be a good value and a huge upgrade over my current ride.  I would probably go something used and wanted to know if there are any years to stay away from, or any issues that I need to watch out for.  I live in AZ so need to make sure the bike is not prone to over heating.  Does the Concours have any high dollar maintenance issue I need to be aware of?  I do most of my own maintenance.  Any help I can get would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Road Runner

• Road Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New Member - Thinking of a Concours
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:31:50 pm »
 :welcome: .The high $ maintenance item that comes to mind, if you're not mechanically inclined, is the valve check/adjustment at each ~15K miles. Taking it to a shop can cost you in the neighborhood of $800 - $900. If you are mechanically inclined (e.g., can follow service manual directions, etc) and you have time, then you would be out on about $125 for Murph's valve kit AND your time.

I've had my C-14 for 3.5 years and have put over 50k miles on it and still love it. It's the best bike I've owned/ridden and still bring out the Ye Ha thrill factor IMO !!!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline SantaCruzRider

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8702
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:45 pm »
If you're looking at a used C10, check for hydrolock. Beyond that, pretty much what you see is what you get.

I bought a used '94 C10 for $1,500 and put another 65k miles on it with hardly any investment. I think my only costs were one valve check ($400), a clutch hydraulic valve replacement (200 including labor), a new set of radiator hoses (maybe $100, and infrequent oil changes.

Pretty bulletproof.
Dan Breeden
Concourier editor emeritus (2015-'16), OtP rider 2017
'94 Concours; '01 FZ1

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:16:15 pm »
TheEdge900; If your ready to buy now, want new, and willing to travel to get it: Someone posted a location that is selling 2018's for 10K..
Don't know what Taxes are in your state, but I think someone priced them with everything {make ready Tax title etc} OTD for about 11K.
Outstanding price for new.
Go to;  New 2018 C-14 at dealership $9999
http://forum.cog-online.org/c-14-emporium/new-2018-c-14-at-dealership-$9999/msg654552/#msg654552

Sadly, I think it's to far from you?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:21:58 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Craigmri

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:57:22 pm »
I'm a former NC700X owner as well.  I LOVED my NC.  Took it on a trip from Florida to Nova Scotia....I loved everything about the NC except for its poor wind protection and I had a pretty large Cee Baileys on mine.  Out on the Highway it was out of its element for hours upon hours.  Mine had the Honda Saddlebags and Top Box....these along with the "Frunk" I had more room to carry stuff than a Goldwing.  Ultimately, what made me move away from the NC was I had lots of corss country trips planned so spent the last few years on Goldwings and Ultras.

I just got my Concours this past weekend so I cant remark about touring on it or Maintenance Costs but I can say that the foundation of what this bike is about is remarkable.  With some personalization I think this will be an amazing sport tourer.  100 MPH all day long without even breathing hard.

I still miss some aspects of the NC such as the slow speed maneuverability, Fuel Economy and low operating costs.  Dont miss the chain maintenance and lack of weather protection.

Craig

Offline BadgerApaches

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:03:05 am »
  Does the Concours have any high dollar maintenance issue I need to be aware of?  I do most of my own maintenance.  Any help I can get would be much appreciated.  Thanks

2010 or newer if possible, look at receipts for maintenance done. From what i've seen the C14 is probably the most capable and undervalued ST machine out there today.

Do you do valve checks with confidence? If so, you're good!   
Legal Services for Manufacturers world wide.