Author Topic: New, old guy...  (Read 705 times)

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12985
  • Membership Level: Active
New, old guy...
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:06:52 am »
I’ve lurked on the COG forum for a very long time – well over a decade.  Am in the 70-80 age group and have ridden for most of my life (well, I’ve had a bike for most of my life – in truth they didn’t always run…) but I finally did it... Found a very clean, albeit with 50K miles, `99 Connie. Other than a crack in the Rifle windshield out from a mounting screw hole, the only mandatory  maintenance will be tires -- wear looks even and no cupping, but from the looks they can't have more than about 2K wear left in them... Immediately sent the obligatory payment off to Murph’s for want-to-have things…
I’ve had an 18 month layoff (due to medical stuff – now behind me it looks like), but was tickled to see that I can get my knees into the riding position again – yeah!  Bringing her home the weekend, schedule dependent... going (slowly) on from here…

- Larry
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
Re: New, old guy...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:20:33 am »
Well, hmmmm… after looking at that C10 Maintenance Spreadsheet, I’m guessing my new purchase will need to be remanufactured.  Guess I’d best add brakes – and from what I see on YouTube, that pesky petcock (I thought only Harleys had those issues).  Big thanks to Mr. Martin tho’ – that is a marvelous directory to help get organized – albeit sobering.

- Larry
-- Larry

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:58:37 am »
Congrats on the bike!  Don't worry about the 50K - that's nothing for these bikes.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:20:22 pm »
Congrats on the bike!  Don't worry about the 50K - that's nothing for these bikes.
+1.  :welcome:
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Rod

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11095
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 10:28:19 pm »
 Welcome back, congrats on your new ride great choice. :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

Offline Runner

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12660
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 10:09:35 pm »
I'm in the same age range, so am happy to welcome another geezer to COG-dom. I worry every time I'm out on the C10 that with a full tank of gas, I'm a gonner.  :)

Go slow on the rehab efforts, you may find that heroic expenditures really don't improve performance or reliability!

Ed

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 03:37:22 am »
I hear ya on the no heroics -- about half a dozen years ago I was riding to work on my Kawasaki Nomad and a deer jumped into my lap... apparently didn't harm the deer much, but trashed the bike, and led to about 6-8 months of putting the shoulder and stuff back together properly... anyway as for this Connie, got an early start yesterday to go pick up my new-to-me bike near Baltimore  was cruising up the country road from our town -- you guessed it. A Kamikaze deer dashed out of the woods and jumped right in front of the truck wiping out the left headlight, sprang the fender and dented the door and KO-ing the grill... grrrrrrr... until yesterday, haven't had any close calls in six years, but now I'm wondering if the deer have it in for me, or maybe they just don't like Kawasaki's...  :??:
-- Larry

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 10:54:26 am »
HA! I had a 2 year stint in which the deer played chicken with me 5 times, 3 with a Miata, 1 in a WRX and 1 (little fawn) on a Nomad. Folks at work were calling me "Deer Killer." (Although all got up & ran away)  Thank goodness that the elk didn't join the fun!  :o

Welcome & enjoy the new ride.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!