Author Topic: New to me 2008 ABS in the Great NW  (Read 831 times)

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
  • Membership Level: Active
New to me 2008 ABS in the Great NW
« on: December 28, 2016, 11:27:17 pm »
Hello all,
I just brought home my new to me 2008 with only 10,900 miles on  her and in seemingly impeccable condition. Got her for a bit less than average NADA too. Couldn't be happier as I have long thought these bikes to be the most awesome looking machines on the road for my taste. I've had a Versys that I enjoyed, and recently had a 2014 FJR that I loved but had to part with. I'm a DIY guy, and love everything about maintaining machines since I don't have to do it as a day job.

Thanks in advance for all the help, humor and sarcasm.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:42:29 am by bwindrope, Reason: more clarity »
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 15,000 and counting

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11944
Re: New to me 2008 ABS in the Great NW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:54:04 am »
Welcome to COG, and congratulations on the new bike!  That's few miles on a 2008 model, I have a 2016 and it has about that same number of miles on it already.  Since you are in the NW, consider going to the Bun Cooler ride from May 19-21, held in Kamiah, ID.  It's a great way to meet about 60 other Concours riders and enjoy some fun roads with little traffic.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski ST-15F & STX-900
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 04:15:47 pm »
Hi slarson,
Yeah, so few miles. From the service records I got it looks like the original owner took great care of it, doing all the service himself ahead of schedule, using Amsoil and such, rode it a lot, and then just stopped. Maybe an injury or life change. We know those things can happen for any of us. It's a pretty ideal scenario for a bike of that age. Loved and cared for, then benign neglect.

I looked at one in Tacoma that was just beat to hell. One tell all, besides the drop damage and cracked plastic and road burns on things, was that the tires were all torn up all the way to the edge of the sissy strip. That's evidence of someone who rides hard and fast, which is great, but not necessarily the bike you want to buy with 20,000 on it. And when I rode it, it had clinks and rough spots that were concerning.

This 2008 is just butter smooth as far as I can tell. I got to ride it home about 90 miles and my smile kept getting bigger.

Thanks for the heads up on the ride in ID. Are there any local tech days here around Puget Sound?

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »
If you are a DYI guy, you should get this manual from a member here.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=68798.0;topicseen

Also get Fred's videos. You can do a search on here for Angel Rides. The valve check alone is worth the money to get these things. Welcome!

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:24:16 pm »
Hi gsun,
I found what I think is that same manual online in a PDF. I don't mind using the PDF versions of things when I am working on my machines. I've heard about Fred's videos but not seen one. Since my bike is only at 11,000 but is 8 years old, I think I will go ahead do the 15,000 valve check this summer when it is nice out to be in the garage all day. Are the videos detailed enough for someone who is solid but not expert at projects?

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:26:24 pm »
Congrats on the new ride Brian. Currently the only thing on the books for the NW is the Bun Cooler in May, but keep an eye on the events ticker in the upper right hand corner of this page. I'm hoping we can get some rides, tech sessions, and meet & eats on the calendar prior to that day.

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 07:17:15 pm »
Appreciate the heads up on the ticker, had never really looked at that before. I know it's hard to find someone to host the tech days, but I used to really enjoy the FJR tech days hosted by a fantastic guy. Nice collection of expertise and stories.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 08:58:54 pm »
I take my laptop into the garage and have Fred's videos right there. Yes, detailed very well. Sometimes too much...

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 06:40:13 pm »
Welcome to GOGdom.  I used a service manual (paper based) and Fred's videos when doing the valve job on my '11 last Winter.  Since Fred does the work on an '09 - it'll be more accurate for you than for the '11.  Still, aside from a few cosmetic changes, the guidance provided walks you through just fine.
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 08:11:06 pm »
Hi slarson,
Yeah, so few miles. From the service records I got it looks like the original owner took great care of it, doing all the service himself ahead of schedule, using Amsoil and such, rode it a lot, and then just stopped. Maybe an injury or life change. We know those things can happen for any of us. It's a pretty ideal scenario for a bike of that age. Loved and cared for, then benign neglect.

I looked at one in Tacoma that was just beat to hell. One tell all, besides the drop damage and cracked plastic and road burns on things, was that the tires were all torn up all the way to the edge of the sissy strip. That's evidence of someone who rides hard and fast, which is great, but not necessarily the bike you want to buy with 20,000 on it. And when I rode it, it had clinks and rough spots that were concerning.

This 2008 is just butter smooth as far as I can tell. I got to ride it home about 90 miles and my smile kept getting bigger.

Thanks for the heads up on the ride in ID. Are there any local tech days here around Puget Sound?

Last year in February, Dan Paulsen hosted a "wrenching session" in his garage near Spanaway.  We had a decent turnout, but everyone only ate chili and drank beer instead.  There was no actual "wrenching" that took place.  Since the newer models are more reliable, less wrenching is needed.  Are you in the Seattle area?  I'm north of there in Lake Stevens.  If you need tires, I have a recommendation for Andrews Mechanical Services in Kirkland (425) 770-8722.  He will remove wheels, install and balance tires on both front and rear for $60.  It's more than double that at a shop.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski ST-15F & STX-900
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 04:45:43 am »
Hi slarson,
I'm over on the Kitsap side on Bainbridge Island. Lovely riding and living, but fewer people to meet up with on bikes. Although, having said that, the per capita bike ownership must be higher here on Bainbridge than elsewhere in Puget Sound because of all the people who ride bikes because of the ferries like I used to.

It kills me what people charge for doing tires. That's a good price you mention. Wish I just knew a local guy who I could pay in beer. It's not hard to do, and I could do it if I had the stuff. But luckily I've got fairly new PR2s on this bike that should last me a few years at the rate I'll be riding.

Supposed to be in the 20's every night for the next 8 days or more. Black ice and frozen conditions. Guess it will curtail the saddle time.

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 08:35:07 pm »
Welcome to the asylum. TOns of good discussion, info, and stories. GOod Pictures too.....

Do yourself a huge favor and get the SISF flash. Best add on you will ever get.

I love my 13 but I really miss my 08. I am sure the flash would have been fantastic on that one.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 05:40:06 am »
Hi Brian,

Tom aka Gumby and NW Area Director, invited you to the Bun Cooler held at the end of May. I will expand on the B/C a bit. The Bun Cooler is the longest continuous running rally in all of Cogdom. And of course there is a reason for this. The people who put together are well practiced. The Bun Cooler has Connie worthy roads, good food and great people. It is held in Kamiah, ID at the foot of LO LO pass.

Friday and Saturday night if no camp fire, the chairs come out of the rooms and we get together for a story telling session with our favorite beverage. On Saturday is the North West Area member meeting right after the banquet. Charlie, the out going area director was always good about making sure there were door prizes for everyone. Over the years I've gotten screwdriver sets, voltage testers, a vacuum brake bleeder and a C10 oil filter which I traded for some chain lube I could use on my 900. One year I got a Kawasaki bike cleaning kit which was freaking awesome. And this is just the stuff I can remember.     

The Bun cooler has provided me with a good number of friends. I must admit there are some who cause me to raise an eye brow once in awhile but yet there has never been a COG member that I have met in person who I didn't like.

So keep an eye out for the Bun Cooler on the calendar. It is one of those events that if you don't have a good time it could be your fault. There is also a group of west siders who ride and meet up with some east siders and we ride into together. It is mandatory to stop in Starbucks at the Marina for lunch. They have a killer BLT for the body and alcohol free premium for the bike. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:43:58 am by TimR »
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 06:30:42 am »
  Brian, welcome to the forum.
 Yes the annual Puget Sound maintenance and bbq is on the calendar.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=240676&mo=3&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017%2D03%2D14%27%7D