Author Topic: Potential New Member  (Read 681 times)

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Potential New Member
« on: July 31, 2018, 03:59:49 am »
Hi All,

I'm in the market to consolidate from three bikes down to two (commute situation changed and need room in my garage). Currently own a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500, 2015 Aprilia Caponord and 2017 Ducati Supersport S. Want to combine the MP3 and Aprilia in a trade for either a 2014 Concours (two available; 3500 miles or 5800 miles) or 2018 Concours (brand new). Would like to know your opinions on the different model years, frequently added mods, service intervals/costs, avg. mpg and any other useful information that you can provide.  :great:

Thanks,

spartan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:46:04 am by spartan1984 »

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Potential New Member
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:49:24 pm »
Hey Barry, Not sure where in the SW you are but we will be having a Meet and Greet in Springerville AZ weekend of Sept 9 where you can learn all that is Concours. Bring one of those exoticas out. All are welcome. Last change was '15 with a lower 1st gear, wind screen vent, low friction steering stem seals,a tick lower saddle and chrome speedo/tach bezels. Oh yeah, and a gentler linked brake set up. I have an '11 and the brakes don't bother me much. Some they drive crazy. The '15 and up are for sure kinder and gentler. All else samey same. Check the warranty on the '14 to see if it can be extended. I've ridden mine C2C 5 times and South to North about 7. Reliable as a claw hammer, good parts availability, great aftermarket. Very few problems. Valve adjust is a pain but doable. Hope this helps.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:51:54 am »
Hi Old Man Connie,

Thank you for the reply, very much appreciated. I'm in SoCal (near the Riverside/San Diego County line). Meet and greet would be fun, but it's near the bday so may have to pass, at least this time. Good to hear that no drastic changes were made to the bike. I'm in the process of trying to make a deal on one of the two "14's that are nearby...mileage is below 6000 on both...one has a top case and the other has a Muzzy exhaust.

Basically it comes down to which one I can get near my budget and I will definitely see if the warranty can be extended. The soon to be wifey has mentioned that she'd like to join me on rides to Laughlin, Vegas, San Diego and Monterey so something comfy is the key. Been looking at the BMW K1600 GT, Multistrada and FJR, but somehow I keep coming back to the Concours.

Regarding the extras, maybe some kind of aftermarket exhaust, GPS bracket and driving/riding lights should do the trick.

spartan

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 01:07:03 am »
Oh Yeah. Grew up in the OC. Lot's of good folks there. Your AAD is Russ Saunders. Just got back from blistering tires in EU. They should be chiming in soon. Let's see if we can get you hooked up.  :great: :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:55:31 am »
Looking forward to hearing from him  :great:

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
MPG
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:29:40 pm »
How many MPG's are you getting? With my Aprilia Caponord, I'm averaging 41  - 42 MPG's (between 225 - 230 miles per tankful).

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 10:42:16 pm »
For a more Touring than Sport 10 day ride through every state in New England a few weeks ago, I averaged 49.5 MPG with the SISF decal flash.  That is a actual not dash indicated. They were close however. I was looking for gas around 230 miles at that rate.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 12:40:03 am »
That's not bad at all for a bike that's a little heavier than my Aprilia. Regarding the SISF decal flash, I  guess I'm going to have to do a search on that...what is the quick review of that flash?

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 10:44:37 am »
That's not bad at all for a bike that's a little heavier than my Aprilia. Regarding the SISF decal flash, I  guess I'm going to have to do a search on that...what is the quick review of that flash?

Start reading the stickies for the SISF flash.
http://forum.cog-online.org/shoodaben-engineering/
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 03:42:58 pm »
Thanks for the link(s) and I started reading some of the postings from other members. Ummm, if I do ultimately get one of these bikes, this upgrade (ECU flash) is a must!!!

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
2014 Concours - Update
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 10:08:17 pm »
So after back and forth negotiations between the dealer and myself, I put a down payment on a 2014 Concours (black with Givi top case) with 5600 miles. Will pack up two of my three bikes (Piaggio MP3 500 & Aprilia Caponord) and complete the transaction next weekend. Looking forward to meeting folks as well as researching the upgrades/accessories/farkles needed to personalize the bike  ;D

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 10:33:54 pm »
Hi Barry, Just saw this post and I am sorry I did not reply earlier! Congratulations on getting the 2014 C14! It will be a great bike for you! We have many members in the area that ride all over Southern California. For example I just got back from riding with Troy and Chuck two days ago in the mountains and Borrego Springs! Great fun! If you visit facebook we have a SoCal group that are fun and all love to ride people! I live in orange county and currently retired so I do have free time to ride. Hopefully you can make an upcoming rally in September in Arizona that Mark already mentioned. Keep in touch and look forward to meeting you soon!  :)

:motonoises:   :motonoises:   :great:

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 11:16:34 pm »
Hi Barry, Just saw this post and I am sorry I did not reply earlier! Congratulations on getting the 2014 C14! It will be a great bike for you! We have many members in the area that ride all over Southern California. For example I just got back from riding with Troy and Chuck two days ago in the mountains and Borrego Springs! Great fun! If you visit facebook we have a SoCal group that are fun and all love to ride people! I live in orange county and currently retired so I do have free time to ride. Hopefully you can make an upcoming rally in September in Arizona that Mark already mentioned. Keep in touch and look forward to meeting you soon!  :)

:motonoises:   :motonoises:   :great:

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the welcome and information. I'll have to have my fiancée look on Facebook as she has an account, I guess I'm old school as I don't have a FB page...lol...looking to meet up with some folks soon. On my commute to San Diego, I see about 2 or 3 Connies on I-15 everyday.

I also read somewhere that there's an attachement that you can add to the bike related to the fuel light, countdown, etc....not sure of the name...but I can't find the link anymore, can anyone assist?

Barry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:36:40 pm by spartan1984 »

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 03:58:16 am »
Welcome aboard Barry. Here is a link on how to shut it off and a link to Brian's contact info, the maker of the low fuel eliminator farkle.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/low-fuel-warning-eliminator-instructions/
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 05:12:34 am »
Welcome aboard Barry. Here is a link on how to shut it off and a link to Brian's contact info, the maker of the low fuel eliminator farkle.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/low-fuel-warning-eliminator-instructions/

Bob,

Thank you for the welcome and yup, this is exactly what I was looking for, very much appreciated...will definitely place an order as soon as I get my hands on the bike.

Sincerely,

Barry

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
Center Stand
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 05:44:35 am »
Hi All,

I apologize for the never ending questions...how easy/difficult is it to get this bike onto the center stand?  :-[

Barry

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 11:04:49 am »
It is amazingly easy once you learn how to do it.  Basically grab the grab bar with your right hand, left hand on the left handle bar, turn slightly to the left, and put the center stand against the ground with your left foot and rock it back and forth a little bit to find the center point.  Then in one smooth simultaneous motion pull up with your right hand and step on the center stand with your left  foot and you are done.  (it can be done with either foot, the rest is the same)

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 03:33:28 pm »
4Bikes...Thank you, again very much appreciated. The concern was due to the weight of the Kawa...I think the heaviest bike where I had to use the center stand was my Moto Guzzi Norge, and that was a beast of a bike.

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12217
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 04:07:38 pm »
It is amazingly easy once you learn how to do it.  Basically grab the grab bar with your right hand, left hand on the left handle bar, turn slightly to the left, and put the center stand against the ground with your left foot and rock it back and forth a little bit to find the center point.  Then in one smooth simultaneous motion pull up with your right hand and step on the center stand with your left  foot and you are done.  (it can be done with either foot, the rest is the same)

One (simple) tip that Fais gave me a while back...as you are stepping down on the CS and transferring weight to it, turn your upper body to the back of the bike for better weight transfer.   
BTH - Jul 26-29
RWTW - Sep 7-10

'14 C14 Black

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
Owner's/Service Manuals
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 05:13:23 am »
All,

Thanks for the information about the center stand, very much appreciated. So I heard from the dealer today that the previous owner didn't turn in the Owner's Manual/Service Manual with the bike. A couple options...download from the Kawasaki website or buy the manuals from Kawasaki. Anyone have a 2014 manual that they no longer want? Other options?

Barry

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 09:55:45 pm »
Welcome! Regarding the owner's manual, here's a link...

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1551&lang_code=EN

As for the service manual, check the classifieds here as someone usually posts one for sale there. Or just purchase it online.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 02:16:48 am »
Perfect...Thank you

Offline spartan1984

• Tricycle
Headlights - the small ones
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 05:36:15 am »
Hi all,

In the headlight display, there are the main lights and then 2 small lights near the nose of the front, what purpose do they serve? Are the able to be upgraded to LEDs?

Barry

Offline funsize

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297A
Re: 2014 Concours - Update
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 08:55:51 am »
So after back and forth negotiations between the dealer and myself, I put a down payment on a 2014 Concours (black with Givi top case) with 5600 miles. Will pack up two of my three bikes (Piaggio MP3 500 & Aprilia Caponord) and complete the transaction next weekend. Looking forward to meeting folks as well as researching the upgrades/accessories/farkles needed to personalize the bike  ;D

Congratulations on your C14.  My husband, Jorge, loves his.  You'll find that the COG members are always ready to help.  Enjoy!

Irene

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 12:42:32 pm »
Speaking of helping....  This Google search string entered into Google will answer your question about the city lights.  Use this search string instead of the COG forum search utility and you will find anything related to what is entered after the brackets. 

There is a panel under the lights that gets removed with four push rivets.  Replacing the bulbs with LED's is simple.

Paste this into Google and remember how to do it again.....

site:[http://forum.cog-online.org] city lights