Author Topic: Relocating to Charlotte NC area, Gastonia, area recommendations  (Read 291 times)

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10429
  • Membership Level: Active
Greetings and thanks for including me into the group.

I currently live in Dallas, TX but am I'm interested in relocating to the Charlotte area.
I've done some research on the area from Google searches but would like input from those of you who live in and around Charlotte.

Geographically, the Gastonia area west of CLT looks like a great place to live as homes are affordable and its close to Smokys and other great roads.  Unfortunately, I've read that crime is a problem and Gastonia has been on a list of being one of the worst cities.
I would like to know how much of that is true, any locals care to shed some light?
If not Gastonia, is there another recommended area?

I don't have a firm time-table as to when I'm going to relocate but I am going to be there Labor Day weekend to scope out the landscape.
I would love to hear from some of you folks out there who live near the Charlotte area.

Thanks,
Dean
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Relocating to Charlotte NC area, Gastonia, area recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:13:11 pm »
You might look up David Scott, the SE AAD who lives near Charlotte and Jim Culp, AAD who lives south of Gastonia in South Carolina. Those two guys  know all about the area. Come on to the Run With The Wolf Rally in N. Ga in September and meet up with a whole bunch of SE folks. We'll show you around.

Welcome! (and get Fred Booth, Membership Director) to change your area to SE.

I'm Ron Simmons, the SE AD. Let me know if I  can help.

Ron

2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 05:33:25 pm »
Hey Ron, thanks for your response.

Would love to run with the Wolves but it looks like it will be a week after I am there.
I'd been through Suches this past summer, 60 was awesome!

Will certainly hit up David and Jim for more info.

Thanks!
Dean
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »
 :great:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline OP

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:05:02 pm »
Greetings and thanks for including me into the group.

I currently live in Dallas, TX but am I'm interested in relocating to the Charlotte area.
Thanks,
Dean
Like everything, it all depends on your budget and also where will you be working? traffic in some areas can get bad so might be good to live close to your place of work.
Depending on your budget you can consider also living in SC, taxes will be lower.

Gastonia can have some rough places, but there are also some good ones.

Are school important to you? Clover schools (Lake Wylie) are good, everybody loves Fort Mill - but prices are high.

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 10:20:58 pm »
Hey OP,
Thanks for chiming in.

I'm single with no kids so schools are not an issue.  I plan on working remotely but in case something happens to my job (for whatever reason) I would like to stay near a large city for employment, amenities, etc.

I haven't considered SC but would not be opposed to the idea. What areas in SC would you recommend? 
Really looking for a modest place anywhere between 150k-200k with at least a 2 car garage or utility building to make as a man cave :great:.

Really looking for the best of both worlds:  a great place to live with great roads nearby.

I greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Dean

Offline OP

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 11:48:07 pm »
Hey OP,
Thanks for chiming in.

I'm single with no kids so schools are not an issue.  I plan on working remotely but in case something happens to my job (for whatever reason) I would like to stay near a large city for employment, amenities, etc.

I haven't considered SC but would not be opposed to the idea. What areas in SC would you recommend? 
Really looking for a modest place anywhere between 150k-200k with at least a 2 car garage or utility building to make as a man cave :great:.

Really looking for the best of both worlds:  a great place to live with great roads nearby.

I greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Dean

Consider Rock Hill, SC a few miles south of Charlotte;
You can buy in that price range also in south Charlotte, right next to the border with SC and next to Fort Mill (Rivergate area).

Any of these places - mountains are only 2hrs away, ocean is less than 4 hrs.