Author Topic: 2011 Love Ride Crash Almost Involving Jay Leno - Video  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Dalroo

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9961
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
2011 Love Ride Crash Almost Involving Jay Leno - Video
« on: October 24, 2012, 03:15:21 pm »
http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_rlbvhurh

This has been posted on a number of sites this morning, but I didn't see it here. As we approach the holidays, this is an important reminder to be safe, especially in these large group rides. You never know who you are riding with, their skill level, sobriety, state of mind, etc.

As was discussed at length here last year, I was talked into taking part in a large toy run here in North Texas. I had participated in many of these in the past, but after seeing two wrecks on the same ride in 2003, I had decided to avoid them. I guess over time I forgot that experience, but was quickly reminded when, for no real reason, the HD in front of me locked up his front tire and launch he and his passenger onto the pavement. I saw it coming, and blessed by ABS and good situational awareness, was able to avoid running over this guy's head, and without being rear ended in the process. As the ride resumed, less than a mile later, a Sportster came up in outside lane very fast, and changed into the "parade" lane just as it slowed for the crowd. He locked his rear tire, slid off the right shoulder onto the grass, and kept the bike upright, but narrowly missed several folks watching from the shoulder. He probably needed some clean undies as it was close.

I am back - for good this time - on the sidelines when it comes to large charity rides. Motorcycling has its own risks, and I am comfortable in taking those risks, but I certainly don't need to add to them by riding with a bunch of screwballs.

In this video, watch the passing going on. Immediately prior to the accident one of the riders actually skirts past a pickup in the same lane. They appear to be moving right along as well. Maybe 60 mph? The rider with the camera doesn't really appear to cause the wreck, even though she was blamed. More like it is the bike that flies up in traffic, much too fast for conditions, and has not time to react to slowing traffic.
(Now) 2010 C14, 1981 KZ440LTD, 2014 XC610 (Then) 2000 FLHTCUI, 1998 KZ1000P, 1998 FXDWG, 1996 XL1200, 1993 Intruder 1400, 1989 YZ-250WR, 1984 YZ-250
Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine - Moslah Shrine Temple, Fort Worth, Texas - 2B1 ASK1

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
  • "I'm like a rain magnet"
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8862
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2011 Love Ride Crash Almost Involving Jay Leno - Video
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »
I did 'bikers for babies' in KC a few years ago.  6000+ motorcycles, it is quite an event.  I appreciate the cause and the comradarie, but I don't know if I will 'ride' it again.  I may pay to donate and to show up, but the traffic was chaos.  I don't ride in the herd much any more, but with that many people of varying skill level it was scary to me.  I was just as afraid of the other motorcycles as other vehicles, and that doesn't happen very often for me.

That being said,  I did enjoy meeting down on the infield and walking around the festivities.  It is even better when I mount back up on my seldom washed, sticker covered, plastic encased Connie dressed like a power ranger.  I get a lot of strange looks from the Land Pirates!
2014 BMW R1200GS
2013 HD Ultra Classic "Queen B"
AMA, COG, IBA

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:04:01 pm »
You won't catch me in any large group rides . Too many of the people have no clue how to ride safely and I don't care to see the carnage from all the helmetless fools .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline dcman98

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10264
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:50:00 pm »
I almost did West Coast Thunder last year on Memorial Day. I was thinking about doing it this year, but your comments are giving me pause.

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:18:03 pm »
Cages are scary enough. Hundreds of bikes ridden by individuals with a myriad of experience starting with wet behind the ears scares the s*** out of me.
RWTW, IDBDR, NVBDR, BVF...

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack

Offline Jim M.

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7951
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26:27 pm »
Great. I'm invited to a charity ride tomorrow. I'm doing this as a favor trying to get the riders in our church together. I despise group rides for all the reasons already mentioned. I usually ride about 95% of the time by myself. The other 5% is occasionally with my wife riding her Yamaha Majesty. I used to have a couple riding buddies before we moved that were all on the same pace, but I haven't found that here yet. By the way, one guys in this group tomorrow hasn't ridden in a couple years and is renting an FJR for the ride.  :o This will be interesting.

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »
Riders get easily distracted on rides like this and you always seem to have a few "show-offs" that blast past a group and wedge their way in. The best way to manage these rides is to have a Commander-in-charge, a route map with cautions highlighted given to each rider, a pre-ride briefing to establish ride conduct and a "tail-gunner" with communication to the Commander in the lead if possible.

Otherwise I watch from the side-lines, and especially for dimwits who over do it and hit the grass through the on-lookers.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:15 pm »
Well said Dan.

As with every evolution, a good brief typically precedes a well executed plan.

If people know what to do and what not to do, things flow smoother. Usually.
RWTW, IDBDR, NVBDR, BVF...

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »
The rider with the camera doesn't really appear to cause the wreck, even though she was blamed. More like it is the bike that flies up in traffic, much too fast for conditions, and has not time to react to slowing traffic.

:iagree:

How can the biker maintaining speed, staying in his/her lane be at fault?  Admittedly there's only
part of the big picture shown here, that bike came up from behind wayyyy too fast.

I'll watch the bike parade from the curb.  Behind a brick wall or full sized sedan.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Dalroo

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9961
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
Another note on this, I will party with the best, but never drink, even a beer, when there is more riding to be done. Even after a couple of beers, even though you may be technically sober, it brings out some aggression. I am aggressive enough stone cold sober. I don't need any help.

On the occasions I have participated in these large rides it has not been uncommon to see folks having a few beers while staging - even though this is typically in the morning. At the ride last year when the bike crashed in front of me, I heard several riders bosting about how that were waiting earlier that morning in a bar parking lot for the bartender to unlock the doors and begin serving.

Bad decisions (and decision makers) by others that can impact my safety are best avoided. As said earlier, I'll be staying home and make my charitable donations in the form of a check.
(Now) 2010 C14, 1981 KZ440LTD, 2014 XC610 (Then) 2000 FLHTCUI, 1998 KZ1000P, 1998 FXDWG, 1996 XL1200, 1993 Intruder 1400, 1989 YZ-250WR, 1984 YZ-250
Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine - Moslah Shrine Temple, Fort Worth, Texas - 2B1 ASK1

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »
COG ride guidelines follows MSF recommendations that group rides break up into small groups. 

I'm not a fan of the large "parade" style charity rides for the reasons already stated.  I've done a  seminar on group riding dynamics and ways to make it fun and safe.  Here is a short article with points on group riding etiquette.  http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=4611

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Rasmith

• KC MO
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10507
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 02:34:39 pm »
I did 'bikers for babies' in KC a few years ago.  6000+ motorcycles, it is quite an event.  I appreciate the cause and the comradarie, but I don't know if I will 'ride' it again.  I may pay to donate and to show up, but the traffic was chaos.  I don't ride in the herd much any more, but with that many people of varying skill level it was scary to me.  I was just as afraid of the other motorcycles as other vehicles, and that doesn't happen very often for me.

That being said,  I did enjoy meeting down on the infield and walking around the festivities.  It is even better when I mount back up on my seldom washed, sticker covered, plastic encased Connie dressed like a power ranger.  I get a lot of strange looks from the Land Pirates!

Its because of that ride and another I had a charity team on in July of 11 leaving JOCO that I wont do major charity rides. No staged depatures, mixed levels of experience and maturity, all lead up to too many near misses for my stress level tolerance..It was like an accordian with the fast stops and accelerations.
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red

Happy Rasmith Brewing™

USAF 78-82

Offline Deadeye

• Moped
  • any day on the bike is better than a day at work
  • COG#: 10226
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 08:17:05 pm »
i do a few of these a year.  That bike that squeezed in to get around a vehicle should be ticketed. there is no safe riding in this group.  I have never seen this type riding in groups.  Our club personally has had 118 members show up for the polar bear ride.  the groups were broken down to groups of 20 bikes
  We average over 250,000 club miles a year and with a very high safety record because of our preride briefs and riding rules
Deadeye,
USN Ret, Ama, SCRC, Iron Butt,

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
  • COG#: 9331
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 12:46:22 am »
I love our National rallies, at least the 2 I've attended so far. I have made a lot of good friends and love riding with them, but have learned and decided, even when everyone is friends and similar in experience and style, 5 in a group is about my comfort level. It has more to do with flow and fluidity, a 20 minute gas stop for a few bikes can turn into an hour with just a few more bikes. Small groups or no groups at all for me, thanks.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline gtskev

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8081
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »
We've had some minor mishaps during the toy run in our area but the local LE do a fantastic job of keeping it safe.  Along with volunteers from ABATE, they shut the route down to car traffic (not so popular with some locals who don't read the paper or watch the news...) and patrol the open lane to keep passing to a minimum.  It would appear somebody wanted to be close to Jay and, unfortunately, got there just in time for the slowdown.  It looks to me like if all the bikes were in the same lane and had adequate following distance nothing would have happened.  I think I even saw a bike passing the car that slowed down on the right...
Kevin,  No Bucks? No Buck Rogers...  Dick McGehee, HiBay 1, 1986