Author Topic: 940 miles to ride...one day or two?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline ddialogue

• Boise, Idaho
  • Training Wheels
  • I have C14 perma grin!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
940 miles to ride...one day or two?
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:09:20 am »
I'm meeting some buddies in South Dakota for a few days of riding and I'm considering riding the 940 miles (Boise, ID to Hill City, SD) in one stretch.  I've ridden many days in the 400-500 mile range with the longest being just a hair over 550 miles.  I'm experienced with multi-day rides and I have all the gear, etc. to make the trip but I have no experience riding that far in one stretch without an overnight in between.  I will be riding solo until I arrive in South Dakota and I am leaving the option open to stop part way if I'm too fatigued.

Any suggestions for a long distance noob?   :)
Dave

2010 ABS Neptune Blue
2003 FZ1 Silver
2008 KTM 530EXC

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • aka 'handyman'
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9584
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 940 miles to ride...one day or two?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:21:01 pm »
I guess everyone is still drinking coffee, so I'll chime in...

Being that there are so many variables in your scenario, you have to look at the end goal. You are going somewhere to ride for a few days. So are you and your bike able to complete your first objective, which is the 940 mile run, without sacrificing yourself and not being able to enjoy the riding time with your buddies? Saddle type, inclement weather, temperature, hydration, physical fitness, ... (the list is long) all play in as variables.

With that said, if it was me and arriving fit and healthy ready to ride at the other end being most important, I would give two days to cover the distance but depart on the first day with the 'loose' goal of doing the full distance in one day and maybe plan an alternate day ride(s) at the destination for the 'extra' day once I got there. This way, if the negative influence factors pile high and the ride is not safe to complete in one day without tapping into reserves, I could complete it in two. Most times when you have a plan 'b' you don't need it, at least that is how things usually work out for me.

And check the Ironbutt site for tips on completing the run.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

It's the little things that make a long day tolerable and repeatable day after day. You may even want to knock out the Saddlesore on the return trip by adding a few miles to the leg. HTH
Somewhere far away. Soon
...another BDR?

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack, '72 XS650

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 03:10:37 pm »
- the most important question is actually : what sort of roads ?

- i recently did about 800 miles of backroads in one go. It was really hard going , esp with the rain and the last stretch in the dark. Not something that would be repeated anytime soon.

- if that same 800 miles was done on the highway , it would have been easy peasy , no issues.

Offline ddialogue

• Boise, Idaho
  • Training Wheels
  • I have C14 perma grin!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 03:48:28 pm »
Fortunately (or not) my plan is to get the commuting miles out of the way as quickly as possible before the fun/comradery-riding begins.  The majority of the ride will be interstate so 75mph+  >:D for a good 700 miles or more.  It's a long haul (even on the interstate) so I will have a plan B in place.  I hadn't considered the extra day of riding at the destination, though, so something else to consider.  Good information on the Iron Butt page, too.

Thanks for the information, fellas.  Much appreciated!  :motonoises:
Dave

2010 ABS Neptune Blue
2003 FZ1 Silver
2008 KTM 530EXC

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:17 pm »
For me it would never be a one day shot. But this is you and not I. I would say that if you have never done this kind of mileage before, it's probably best not to attempt it. I think it would be more prudent to build up to extreme distance riding like this. Your mind and body needs to be prepared for this kind of riding (IMO). I personally would know that I would not be safe in both mind and body pushing farther than I would be use to and prepared for. But to be clear, I have never tried or desired to do long distance anyway. So I'm not the best authority on the subject.   :truce:

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:52:59 pm »
How did you feel after 10 or so hours in the saddle? Did you still have some 'steam' left or were you about wore out? If you were reasonably comfortable and could have gone on riding the bike, I would say 1,000 miles might be w/in reach. In my own experience, about 10 to 12 hours in the saddle and my comfort does not change much from that point on.

The other question is: Do you want to do a 1,000 mile ride in one day? If not then I would shy away from pushing yourself 'cause there just isn't much reward for having done it. If you do want to give it a shot, and are physically up to it (see paragraph above) then it is not particularly dangerous or eventful, again in my own experience. In fact many, many people have done what you are proposing with not only good success but a great safety record as well as great overall enjoyment and enthusiasm to do it again as well as go further / longer. The IBA has many dozens of thousands of members who have completed a Saddlesore 1000 successfully (1000 or more miles in 24 hours or less). The real risk is that you might like it and want to do it some more. Occasionally, the endurance riding bug bites someone pretty hard and it can and will take up a great deal of your time and money to indulge it.

Whatever you decide, the best of luck and have a safe ride.

Brian

I'm meeting some buddies in South Dakota for a few days of riding and I'm considering riding the 940 miles (Boise, ID to Hill City, SD) in one stretch.  I've ridden many days in the 400-500 mile range with the longest being just a hair over 550 miles.  I'm experienced with multi-day rides and I have all the gear, etc. to make the trip but I have no experience riding that far in one stretch without an overnight in between.  I will be riding solo until I arrive in South Dakota and I am leaving the option open to stop part way if I'm too fatigued.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline nybryan

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:03:39 pm »
i think you would want to have something left for the riding with your friends.  I would be bad to be worn out before you even get started

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:30:22 pm »
I'd plan on 2 days.
Because,,, If you feel good and want to finish it 1 day,  fine.
                If not,, you don't "have" to push..

Safer, and Much more enjoyable!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 00 and 86 Connie's

To contribute to "OtP", DO IT NOW!!
It's EZ: Go to the top of the Forum and follow the steps.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:38 pm »

You have ridden many days 500 miles and you are asking us to tell you how far to go? I don't know why someone would go 900 miles in one day if they did not need to. If time is not an issue then find some place to stop around the half way point and do something there.  I might get blown up but the whole lets see how far I can ride in one day is a little irresponsible. I am sure loved ones love it when they get to worry and wait for the call its all good upon arrival. What is the purpose of the iron butt? To show you are a man? I just told my Wife I am going to ride 1000 miles in one day next month. Her response was your an idiot. Better question would be why would I want to ride 940 miles in one stretch?

Let the Bricks Fly.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • COG#: 6497
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:53 pm »
Listen to BDF, he has accomplished some incredible rides!

That said, if you have done 500 plus before, I would give it a try. It sounds much more daunting than it really is. If you are doing slab, the weather is decent and you have good stamina....just give it a try. My suggestions are very simple. Start very early, like 4:30 or 5 am. Its easier to start early than it is to end super late. Keep stops to 15 minute max and try to use most of each tank. Eat only protein and avoid carbs to keep the drowsy feeling to a minimum. Stay hydrated!! You will have time for a power nap if needed.

My experience on the next day is that I feel just fine and ready to ride some more, but your mileage may vary.
Hey, if you decide to go for it, add a few more miles, read the Saddlesore rules and do the documentation. Or don't.  Whatever you decide, have fun in the Black Hills. Great riding. Plan to hit http://www.alpineinnhillcity.com/sidebar-dinner.php for dinner some nite if you like steak. This is a great meal deal you will not regret. I would also suggest a stop at Rochford  Moonshine Gulch saloon.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:40:13 pm by 2Fast »
Brian in Minnesota

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »
Is it me or is there something in the forum water lately that is causing an unnecessary degree of nastiness? I do not really see the point of this antagonizing post. Of course this is America and you are free to say (post) whatever you want but really, how does this help out the original poster, encourage conversation (a sharing of ideas- look it up if it is a new concept) or even offer any type of constructive, intelligent opposing argument?

Brian

You have ridden many days 500 miles and you are asking us to tell you how far to go? I don't know why someone would go 900 miles in one day if they did not need to. If time is not an issue then find some place to stop around the half way point and do something there.  I might get blown up but the whole lets see how far I can ride in one day is a little irresponsible. I am sure loved ones love it when they get to worry and wait for the call its all good upon arrival. What is the purpose of the iron butt? To show you are a man? I just told my Wife I am going to ride 1000 miles in one day next month. Her response was your an idiot. Better question would be why would I want to ride 940 miles in one stretch?

Let the Bricks Fly.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 10:22:41 pm »
Is it me or is there something in the forum water lately that is causing an unnecessary degree of nastiness? I do not really see the point of this antagonizing post. Of course this is America and you are free to say (post) whatever you want but really, how does this help out the original poster, encourage conversation (a sharing of ideas- look it up if it is a new concept) or even offer any type of constructive, intelligent opposing argument?

Brian

Let the Bricks Fly.

I guess it came off wrong but my intent was not to be nasty. Sorry it came across that way. But I started thinking what if my Son said he was doing it and how would I feel? Or would my Wife sit on the edge of her seat all day as I did it? It was just my opinion. Trust me when I say Sorry if I offended the original poster. I was only trying to shed light on the consequences. What is one trying to prove on one of these rides? What is the upside? It was just my opinion.
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline ddialogue

• Boise, Idaho
  • Training Wheels
  • I have C14 perma grin!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:34:29 pm »

Brian

Let the Bricks Fly.

I guess it came off wrong but my intent was not to be nasty. Sorry it came across that way. But I started thinking what if my Son said he was doing it and how would I feel? Or would my Wife sit on the edge of her seat all day as I did it? It was just my opinion. Trust me when I say Sorry if I offended the original poster. I was only trying to shed light on the consequences. What is one trying to prove on one of these rides? What is the upside? It was just my opinion.

No worries, CouncoursKZ!  I'm fairly thick skinned.   :)

What really got me thinking about trying this in the first place is that I've heard of guys doing 1k miles in a day before and I always thought I'd like to try it. I've never really had an opportunity where I would be riding solo and have the mileage in front of me to take advantage of it.  I'm a young *cough* 43 years *cough* and in pretty good shape and could probably get through it just fine.

After the discussion here I have decided riding it in one day is probably not in my best interest.  I have two days travel time set aside to get there so time is not an issue.  The biggest deciding factor is that I have seven days of subsequent riding once I arrive with one day at 636 miles.  Plenty of breaks and good night's rest will be in order during the trip and no sense pushing it so hard on the first day!  ;D

I really appreciate everyone's different points of view!
Dave

2010 ABS Neptune Blue
2003 FZ1 Silver
2008 KTM 530EXC

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • COG#: 6497
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:00:21 pm »
Quote "What is one trying to prove on one of these rides? What is the upside? "

When I have done IBA rides, I simply do it for the personal challenge, just to see if it is doable for me. If you plan for it, set out to do it, but leave yourself the option to stop if you feel you are no longer safe, cool. If you do not feel you could recognize the quitting point, you probably should no do it. If you think your ego will prevent you from stopping, you probably should not do it. But, if you get all that and still want to enjoy the challenge, I say have at it. I have only done the low level IBA rides cause I know I know I could not do a multiday challenge....just not gonna happen. My wife thinks I'm nuts to do it too, but appreciates that I enjoy trying.

Brian in Minnesota

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:20:58 pm »
Well then if not nasty, certainly you sounded like you are lofting high above us mere mortals delivering the gospel to the lowly, foolish masses. It sounds to me as though you have chosen a line of reasonable behavior that 1) you think is valuable and correct and 2) others should adhere to. I assume you ride a motorcycle, a relatively dangerous thing to do, and find that on the acceptable, 'sane' side of your behavior line. But someone who might want to go a certain distance, well within all laws, speed limits and, in my opinion, reasonable human endurance, is on the other side of your reasonable behavior line.

Just a thought but perhaps some people have different ideas of what is reasonable, desirable, interesting, challenging or merely 'fun'. Perhaps it is not so much a right / wrong thing as it is one of choice, within the bounds of the collective reason of course?

I would further suggest that as most people do not ride a motorcycle, the majority have chosen it as too dangerous, not attractive or interesting enough, too expensive and obviously not worthy of being done. Somewhere there is a guy asking his wife what she thinks about him buzzing around town on an unstable two wheel vehicle and she is responding that he is crazy.

For a last thought, does there need to be an upside to a thing for it to be done? Should we collectively vote on what we can all do / not do, such as which movie to watch? What is the upside of watching Movie X vs. Movie Y? Should there even be any discretionary free time or should someone or some entity select what we should all do with our time?

All of this is, of course, just my opinion, which I try not to push onto others.  ;)

Brian

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 12:00:06 am »
I tend to do long rides really only because I have limited time off work and need to get where I'm going to have time to enjoy it . If time was not an issue , 300 to 500 miles would be my limit , even less if there were things and places I wanted to see along the way .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 12:26:53 am »
Yeah I like 450-500 myself. have done 700-800 many times. 1000+ in 24hrs for the IBA.  Either for the personal challenge of it, or when the risk / reward ratio is such that 750 or 800 has some value in it. Lots of good comments. Otherwise 500 is typical plan plus or minus as stopping and interest points dictate.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 12:42:12 am »
Well then if not nasty, certainly you sounded like you are lofting high above us mere mortals delivering the gospel to the lowly, foolish masses. It sounds to me as though you have chosen a line of reasonable behavior that 1) you think is valuable and correct and 2) others should adhere to. I assume you ride a motorcycle, a relatively dangerous thing to do, and find that on the acceptable, 'sane' side of your behavior line. But someone who might want to go a certain distance, well within all laws, speed limits and, in my opinion, reasonable human endurance, is on the other side of your reasonable behavior line.

Just a thought but perhaps some people have different ideas of what is reasonable, desirable, interesting, challenging or merely 'fun'. Perhaps it is not so much a right / wrong thing as it is one of choice, within the bounds of the collective reason of course?

I would further suggest that as most people do not ride a motorcycle, the majority have chosen it as too dangerous, not attractive or interesting enough, too expensive and obviously not worthy of being done. Somewhere there is a guy asking his wife what she thinks about him buzzing around town on an unstable two wheel vehicle and she is responding that he is crazy.

For a last thought, does there need to be an upside to a thing for it to be done? Should we collectively vote on what we can all do / not do, such as which movie to watch? What is the upside of watching Movie X vs. Movie Y? Should there even be any discretionary free time or should someone or some entity select what we should all do with our time?

All of this is, of course, just my opinion, which I try not to push onto others.  ;)

Brian

I do ride a Motorcycle. And I question it everyday. Every time I see some one texting and driving I wonder if I should just sell it and move on. Something I think most of us think about all the time.

I am opinionated for sure! But I try to be responsible to those who depend on me which is why I stayed off bikes for 15 years while my children became adults, saved money, and have a large life insurance policy should something happen. As its the responsible thing FOR ME to do. If I was single and had little responsibility my choices might  be different, and they were during my younger years. One must choose their own levels of responsibility. The poster asked for suggestions so I gave him mine. I might have been too responsible by some standards but I could only use my situation for the opinion as I have no idea of his. 940 miles with stops for gas and food is going to take 16 to 18 hours. Big difference from 450 to 500.

Also: If my Wife asked me to sell the bike tomorrow and we discussed it together as we have everything over the past 29 years I would honor her request.

And yes riding a Motorcycle is dangerous and a lot of times I think its irresponsible. But I try to do it as responsible as possible.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:45:00 am by ConcoursKZ »

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 01:06:32 am »
Sir, I believe you missed my point. You can be opinionated. You can agree or disagree with anything you want. I was taking exception to your delivery, not your beliefs. I am not countering your point or saying you are right or wrong, only saying that your opinion is just that- an opinion and probably should not be delivered in the form of a verbal beating.

Maybe you are perfectly socially acceptable and it is me that is overly sensitive. Either way, I think we can voice our pronouncements and opinions a bit more gently and make an effort not to sound like the single voice of reason or authority when delivering them.

By all means, please do participate in this forum and do deliver you honest opinions. But if you wrap them in gentler, more considerate terms I believe they will be just as effective, perhaps even more so, without the accompanying sting that harsher language delivers.

For example, in this case you might point out that you would not subject your wife to the stress of you riding such long distances / times. That would convey your opinions (if I have understood them correctly) without conveying the idea that you are 'correcting' someone else's behavior.

I am a long distance, endurance rider. My biggest single concern is and has been since my first long trip (3K + miles in one shot or 'one sitting') has been my wife's worry before and during the whole ride. Very stressful for her. But I would not tell anyone else that that person should not do the same thing because it is stressful to his / her spouse because I do not believe it is my place to do so.

To encourage an open, successful forum, I believe people have to feel reasonably comfortable posting. I think we should all make a conscious effort to 'be nice' to other posters (and the rest of the world at large really) just to keep the forum moving.

I cannot even begin to address this issue as well as some others have, all much more articulate to me. This is my very favorite quote I think:

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

A. Lincoln (first inaugural address before any blood was spilled in the 'War between the States.')

Again, all in my opinion of course.

Have a great evening (seriously, not sarcastically),
Brian

I do ride a Motorcycle. And I question it everyday. Every time I see some one texting and driving I wonder if I should just sell it and move on. Something I think most of us think about all the time.

I am opinionated for sure! But I try to be responsible to those who depend on me which is why I stayed off bikes for 15 years while my children became adults, saved money, and have a large life insurance policy should something happen. As its the responsible thing FOR ME to do. If I was single and had little responsibility my choices might  be different, and they were during my younger years. One must choose their own levels of responsibility. The poster asked for suggestions so I gave him mine. I might have been too responsible by some standards but I could only use my situation for the opinion as I have no idea of his. 940 miles with stops for gas and food is going to take 16 to 18 hours. Big difference from 400.

Also: If my Wife asked me to sell the bike tomorrow and we discussed it together as we have everything over the past 29 years I would honor her request.

And yes riding a Motorcycle is dangerous and a lot of times I think its irresponsible. But I try to do it as responsible as possible.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:31:58 am by BDF »

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 01:26:50 am »
One day.

880 miles -  Ave 50 MPH with stops and everything else 17:40 minutes

Boise to Idaho Falls - 288 miles
Idaho Falls Hwy 26 to 31 to 33 to Jackson WY -
Jackson WY Hwy 191
191 to 26 to Riverton - 259 Miles
Riverton to Shoshoni Hwy 20
Shoshoni Hwy 20 to Casper I-25
Casper I-25 to  Hwy 18 to Lusk - 224 miles
Lusk - Hwy 18 to Hwy 89
Hwy 89 to Hwy 385
Hwy 385 to Hwy 16 to Hill City - 122 miles

Here's the deal.
1. Plan well, over plan, research the routes, check the weather, construction issues and stop every 200 miles for something. Gas, meals, breaks, etc...

2. Make the bike comfortable. Very comfortable. Make the bike mechanically sound. I bet it already is!

This is not impossible, nor is it any more risky than breaking up the ride into two days, if you plan well.

3. Read this. Most is great info bourn from the experience of many before you.  http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

4. Have fun!   :)

PS: Hi Brian!  :great:

PPS:  Let us know how it went.  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:33:32 am by 2linby »
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 09:08:35 am »
Sir, I believe you missed my point. You can be opinionated. You can agree or disagree with anything you want. I was taking exception to your delivery, not your beliefs. I am not countering your point or saying you are right or wrong, only saying that your opinion is just that- an opinion and probably should not be delivered in the form of a verbal beating.

Maybe you are perfectly socially acceptable and it is me that is overly sensitive. Either way, I think we can voice our pronouncements and opinions a bit more gently and make an effort not to sound like the single voice of reason or authority when delivering them.

By all means, please do participate in this forum and do deliver you honest opinions. But if you wrap them in gentler, more considerate terms I believe they will be just as effective, perhaps even more so, without the accompanying sting that harsher language delivers.

For example, in this case you might point out that you would not subject your wife to the stress of you riding such long distances / times. That would convey your opinions (if I have understood them correctly) without conveying the idea that you are 'correcting' someone else's behavior.

I am a long distance, endurance rider. My biggest single concern is and has been since my first long trip (3K + miles in one shot or 'one sitting') has been my wife's worry before and during the whole ride. Very stressful for her. But I would not tell anyone else that that person should not do the same thing because it is stressful to his / her spouse because I do not believe it is my place to do so.

To encourage an open, successful forum, I believe people have to feel reasonably comfortable posting. I think we should all make a conscious effort to 'be nice' to other posters (and the rest of the world at large really) just to keep the forum moving.

I cannot even begin to address this issue as well as some others have, all much more articulate to me. This is my very favorite quote I think:

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

A. Lincoln (first inaugural address before any blood was spilled in the 'War between the States.')

Again, all in my opinion of course.

Have a great evening (seriously, not sarcastically),
Brian

I am opinionated for sure! But I try to be responsible to those who depend on me which is why I stayed off bikes for 15 years while my children became adults, saved money, and have a large life insurance policy should something happen. As its the responsible thing FOR ME to do. If I was single and had little responsibility my choices might  be different, and they were during my younger years. One must choose their own levels of responsibility. The poster asked for suggestions so I gave him mine. I might have been too responsible by some standards but I could only use my situation for the opinion as I have no idea of his. 940 miles with stops for gas and food is going to take 16 to 18 hours. Big difference from 400.

Ok.

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 09:26:18 am »
if you have done 500 plus before, I would give it a try. It sounds much more daunting than it really is. If you are doing slab, the weather is decent and you have good stamina....just give it a try. My suggestions are very simple. Start very early, like 4:30 or 5 am

- agree.

- start early as possible and maintain a steady + fast pace. Since its all freeway miles , its even easier. Just need to keep the boredom level controlled.

- and you can work out the distance over time to arrive at a suitable speed which allows you to get where you need to be at the correct time (this is much easier to calculate when its straight freeway miles).

Offline Steve in PA

• Beach bum
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 10793
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 11:43:12 am »
My 2 cents in addition to the priceless info from previous posters and the IBA site...The following works for me on long rides:

I like to stop every 100 miles or so from the very start of the ride when riding over 500-600 miles in one day. 900 miles = 8 stops along the way. Even a few minutes off the bike walking/stretching/refreshing/exploring makes a big difference to me. If I just go for it with only a gas stop it stops being as much fun at about 500 miles.

I would rather ride 400-600 miles a day for 2 days if schedule permits.

People look at me funny when they see me doing jumping jacks etc. in the rest area parking lot but it helps me feel like I could keep riding forever by the end of the ride. Eat light and keep hydrated. Stay sharp. Pull over and stop if you feel your attention wandering at all.
Current ride is a 36 foot landyacht

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 01:27:50 pm »
The first sign of fatigue is the inability to maintain a steady speed- which is why most long distance riders use cruise control. The second sign of fatigue is the inability to maintain a tight riding line- which is why highway lanes are so wide and the cars around us have horns to alert us. 

Sorry- couldn't resist but it was all in humor.  :rotflmao:

My wife and I are current planning our very first COG ride and we cannot decide if we should have a fuel / bathroom / stretch break along the way and if so, how far into the ride. The ride is about 1 1/2 hours and 45 miles through secondary roads. What a far cry from a CC50, 'the hard way'.  ;D :-\  But I think a Sat. afternoon ride with a few other riders might be more pleasant that crossing Montana with only three fuel stops and never getting off the bike.  :(

Brian

My 2 cents in addition to the priceless info from previous posters and the IBA site...The following works for me on long rides:

I like to stop every 100 miles or so from the very start of the ride when riding over 500-600 miles in one day. 900 miles = 8 stops along the way. Even a few minutes off the bike walking/stretching/refreshing/exploring makes a big difference to me. If I just go for it with only a gas stop it stops being as much fun at about 500 miles.

I would rather ride 400-600 miles a day for 2 days if schedule permits.

People look at me funny when they see me doing jumping jacks etc. in the rest area parking lot but it helps me feel like I could keep riding forever by the end of the ride. Eat light and keep hydrated. Stay sharp. Pull over and stop if you feel your attention wandering at all.

Offline Andrew

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10516
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 04:03:22 pm »
I just did my first SS1000 a few weeks back.  We were two-up, and had never ridden more than 300 miles in a day.  Originally I thought I would have been better off alone cause I can go 200 miles without stopping.  Looking back on it, it was a great thing that my girl friend was with, as we stopped every hundred miles just to stand for a few minutes.  We took a half hour nap about 13 hours in, and it was smooth sailing the rest of the way.  I think the big thing is to take your time and rest.  It took us just over 21 hours, but after 9 hours asleep we were well rested and ready for another 350 or so miles the next day.