Author Topic: ABS vs Non-ABS  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ABS vs Non-ABS
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 03:05:24 pm »
I'm a fan of ABS ... I've practiced full performance stops on my C-14 and I don't think I could beat my ABS with non-ABS...

Mine is non ABS (by choice -- distrust techno-gadgetry), but I'm inclined to think you are quite correct (especially for us average -- or less -- riders).  My ABS will never malfunction, nor will it need maintenance, but I have tattooed in my head that if I ever lock the rear wheel in a panic stop, I need to keep it locked until I get stopped (to help mitigate high-siding), a habit I've used seldom -- but for years.
Yes, I recall the same technique from my MSF class. Great to keep in mind, for sure!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 07:05:50 pm »
I don't want to rain on your parade but your bike did not decelerate better sliding on its side than it would have had you kept it upright and hard on the brakes. ...
I totally agree.  I was riding in South Dakota and came upon a motorcycle wreck.  The LEO came over and told me the rider had "laid it down".  I replied that if he had enough skill to "lay it down", that he had enough skill to avoid the accident entirely.  He thought for a second and chuckled at the logic in that.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2019, 07:22:25 am »
You have to remember that ABS was not developed to shorten stopping distances. The insurance industry crunched numbers a determined many accidents were a result of lose of steering control and stability during (panic) breaking. This line of reasoning ignores tailgating and target fixation. The ability to maintain threshold braking will result in shorter stopping distances than relying on abs even though the modern systems are greatly improved for original. That being said if you find yourself in a situation involving abs actuation start searching for a way past by steering to an escape route (should have already been planned by then)

THIS

ABS is not intended to shorten stopping distance.  The owner's manuals for my GMC truck and Wee-Strom both contain statements that in some cases vehicles with ABS may take a LONGER distance to stop than those without.  ABS is solely intended to prevent wheel lock, and thereby help the operator to maintain some modicum of control in a panic situation.  Locked wheels are detrimental to control.

I came around a sweeping right curve on a county road several years ago with the Wee-Strom at about 50 MPH, and encountered a flock of peacocks, about a dozen or so, and they took up all of my lane.  Opposing traffic on the other lane and a very deep ditch on the right shoulder made evasive maneuvers questionable, even if I had time to set it up, which I didn't.  Admittedly, I also panicked (no one likes to admit that).  I slammed the brakes, and managed to thread my way between a couple of the birds, with literally an inch or two to spare.  I could feel the ABS pulsing the rear brake and I am absolutely convinced that it kept me from sliding out of control.  A high-side then would probably have launched me into the opposing traffic.  I'm certain in my own mind that the Concours "auto-lock" rear brake would have wrecked me.  It would have been my own fault, but fault doesn't matter when yer dead.

On the other hand, I think that if ABS is truly saving your life on a daily basis, you need to rethink your riding habits.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Scooter
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 10:31:27 am »
I was a non ABS guy and thoughts were it dumbed down rider skill/ability. I changed my mind with my first ABS bike years ago. It was wonderful...However I'm not a fan of the brakes on my Concours, worst I've ever had in 40 years of riding. I don't believe it's the ABS, my thoughts are it's the 2012 model year specifically and it's more attributed to the "linked brakes" Mine suck. I've gone through everything, fluid and hard parts. People say you have to get used to it, or use the front only as it will apply both, yata yata yata. Shouldn't need to get used to crappy brakes.

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline ogre_fl

• Tricycle
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2019, 08:42:14 pm »
I was a non ABS guy and thoughts were it dumbed down rider skill/ability. I changed my mind with my first ABS bike years ago. It was wonderful...However I'm not a fan of the brakes on my Concours, worst I've ever had in 40 years of riding. I don't believe it's the ABS, my thoughts are it's the 2012 model year specifically and it's more attributed to the "linked brakes" Mine suck. I've gone through everything, fluid and hard parts. People say you have to get used to it, or use the front only as it will apply both, yata yata yata. Shouldn't need to get used to crappy brakes.

I believe ABS is a good thing on motorcycles.
I however dont care for linked brakes and particularity HATE how its done on the C14.

When I was shopping a Sport Tourer several years ago I tried a 2011 C14.
I so disliked the linked brakes, I promptly bought an FJR.

Just recently I found out that in 2010 they made the Gen 2 Connie 14 without linked brakes (and without ABS/Traction Control).
I would like ABS and traction control, but sought out and found a 2010 Non ABS bike.
I really like the brakes on this bike, heck I like the whole bike.