Author Topic: All the gear, all the time  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Undertaker

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
All the gear, all the time
« on: July 11, 2015, 12:57:43 pm »
You all might remember this girl, Brittany Morrow from fall she took off a sport bike doing a wheelie in 2005. Don't play stupid on the street, and wear all your gear.  GRAPHIC PICTURES!!!
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/2011/08/extreme-roadrash-original-brittany.html
"I ride up front, all others ride in the back!" Undertaker

Offline LHartman

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11587
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: All the gear, all the time
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:26:09 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  I wear my jacket, gloves and helmet everywhere, even on short trips and in 100 degree weather.  I have to get some pants though.  Making me think on doing this sooner than later.
1995 Concours.  NE Washington
COG# 11587

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 01:28:21 pm »
I'm a big fan of SOTGSOTT. Some of the gear, some of the time.  :beerchug:
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline juve

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10666
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 03:23:11 pm »
WOW :-\  graphic pictures indeed, but really make a point...sweat wipes off, road rash, not so much.  I am amazed at how many riders and passengers I see on bikes with just a 'lid' on.  I can appreciate that they want to get some sun, and it IS HOT out, but even a low speed fall will hurt, and the road rash will be a beyatch to heal.  I suppose folks look at me with all my gear on, on a 95 degree day, and think I'm an idiot. :(  But my gear dries out just fine, and I can grab a beer and lounge by the pool to get some sun. ;D  Just like getting in a car and fastening my seat belt, ATGATT is just a given for me :great:  Hope everyone rides safe :motonoises:

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:35:56 pm »
Brittany is an awesome individual, overcoming a devastating incident. She became a MSF Ridercoach several years ago and is a strong advocate of ATTGATT.  Check out her web pages...  http://www.rockthegear.org/

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 01:30:35 am »
Hi,
       Thanks for the link! :great:

When I bought my C14 I saw I was going to want to ride more daring than any other bike I had owned. >:D

So I did my research and sold some other "toys" and bought some Motoport Gear! :truce:

Without a doubt the last suit I'll ever have to buy! :motonoises:

I feel naked riding the bike without it now! Funny! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Hazy

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10534
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
The little one on the bike. The big one on the cage!
North Central Area
COG#:10534
CDA# 0423 "Please... don't judge :("
2001 Kawasaki ZG1000 Sonic Blue  - "Mae"
2014 COG Silver Dammit Rally Greeter - Come say HI!!!

Offline bearbait

• Bearbait
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 8920
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:41:07 pm »
You all might remember this girl, Brittany Morrow from fall she took off a sport bike doing a wheelie in 2005. Don't play stupid on the street, and wear all your gear.  GRAPHIC PICTURES!!!
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/2011/08/extreme-roadrash-original-brittany.html

Thanks for the post, how many times do you see an unprotected young girl perched on the back of a sport bike?  I did a gravel slide at the Northeast Spring Fling, I had ATGATT.  I ended with a friction burn rash on my left forearm that didn't even tear my Tourmaster Jacket along with a bruised ego, but that was all.  I will not ride without my gear...it works!  I also am taking a refresher MSF class this weekend geared to an experienced/returning rider.  I am sure it will be a well spent six hours.
2009 C14 ABS, Muzzy exhaust with Power Commander V, and best of all the Corbin Seat!
Past bikes:
1962 Honda Super 90, 1965 Honda 305 Super Hawk, 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1973 Hodaka Road Toad 100, 1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat 125, 1970 Husqvarna 400 Motocross, 1975 Honda 360 Scrambler, 1980 Kawasaki 250 Enduro, 1978 Honda 750 Four, 2000 Kawasaki C10, 2006 Kawasaki Z750S

Offline talcon

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7415
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:01:48 pm »
Great thread and a great message!  My quote "Dress for the slide, not for the ride!"

I've been down twice at speed (~35 mph both times) - wearing full gear, and only broke a collar bone and got a small quarter-size road rash on my knee where the armor shifted over and wore through the mesh pants.  Helmets scraped pretty severely (no longer usable) both times - and that was going fairly slow.

I am sometimes guilty of riding with no pants  :-\ (riding pants that is).  Usually going back and forth to work...

On another note, I just lost a cousin last week (a beautiful soul), who was riding on the back of her husband's bike, no gear or helmets - and a 19 year old girl pulled out in front of them on a country road.  Her husband succumbed to head injury at the scene, and she was in critical condition until last week when they determined no brain activity due to head injury also (the equivalent of shaken baby syndrome) and removed her life support.  A very sad situation - and likely survivable with gear - especially helmets. 

Riding is all about managing risk.. you are taking a risk just getting on a bike for sure.  At the end of the day, it's all about how much risk you are willing to take on.

Randy, Michigan, CDA 222, 2015 Yamaha Super Ténéré ES XTZ12EFR, 2018 Yamaha WR250R, 2005 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-A20 - for sale!

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:53:51 pm »
  Undertaker,
                    Great article and post. I had a drunk make a left turn in front of me (back when I was 24 and no gear) at 35 mph wipe me out. It took me a long time to heal. I thought to myself back then, I am never going to ride a bike again unless I get too old to care anymore, like when I turn 50, If I live that long.
     That was 4 years ago and I am full A.T.G.A.T.T. now. Looking back on it , I lost 30 years of great riding on a C-10.  So to make it up to myself, I need to try for 80 years old and still riding.

No Bull, wrecks suck even if they don't kill you.
                                                Steve 

A.T.G.A.T.T. is cool :great: :great: :great:                     My condolences Talcon
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline backoutonthehighway

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
    • Back Out On The Highway
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9952
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:34:37 am »
Great thread and a great message!  My quote "Dress for the slide, not for the ride!"

I've been down twice at speed (~35 mph both times) - wearing full gear, and only broke a collar bone and got a small quarter-size road rash on my knee where the armor shifted over and wore through the mesh pants.  Helmets scraped pretty severely (no longer usable) both times - and that was going fairly slow.

I am sometimes guilty of riding with no pants  :-\ (riding pants that is).  Usually going back and forth to work...

On another note, I just lost a cousin last week (a beautiful soul), who was riding on the back of her husband's bike, no gear or helmets - and a 19 year old girl pulled out in front of them on a country road.  Her husband succumbed to head injury at the scene, and she was in critical condition until last week when they determined no brain activity due to head injury also (the equivalent of shaken baby syndrome) and removed her life support.  A very sad situation - and likely survivable with gear - especially helmets. 

Riding is all about managing risk.. you are taking a risk just getting on a bike for sure.  At the end of the day, it's all about how much risk you are willing to take on.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm a ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT rider. Have been known to pull my bike out of the garage to load it up without any gear on.  :) And once, a very long time ago I cruised through the 25 mph section of the Grand Tetons smoking a ceegar. Occasionally I'll forgo the pants on my 1.5 mile commute, but the rest of the time, well, I'm suited up. Especially if I'm going to get over 30 mph.  :)
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Clasic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline jdegraff

• Moped
  • COG#: 11713
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »
Seems like every time I stop somewhere in public someone makes a comment that my black jacket (mesh) must be hot. My response is always "not as long as you keep it above 90". Seriously though... I wore it through Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and Death Valley a few years ago and it was fine as long as I was moving. I would very likely be worse off in a tshirt in the wind.