Author Topic: Beware of the potholes  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9226
  • Membership Level: Active
Beware of the potholes
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:15:38 pm »
Today's local newspaper reports that a rider was found injured on a 2 lane road and later died, apparently after hitting a pothole and losing control of his bike, though he stayed on the pavement.

The article said it happened on Reeves Avenue in Riverhead, NY (eastern Long Island).  It is a town road, not a highway, and a long-cut that can take you past jammed shopping areas.  You need to do some zig zag turns to beat the traffic, otherwise it just goes by some beefalo, the town dump, golf places etc.  Not a twisty but similar, sort of.

Even my short driveway is squishy now, apparently the ant castles beneath it have collapsed and there's depressions where the car wheels usually sit.  The weather is just breaking after the big snow and the road crews have a lot of work to do.
1987 Concours

Offline dan4aspen

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Beware of the potholes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:20:16 pm »
Scary that a pothole can kill you.  That is why we are ALWAYS supposed to be scanning, and keeping our 4 second distance in traffic. I live in Baltimore/ DC area, and it can be hard at times with people cutting off your escape route to change lanes, but always leave a good distance to notice obstacles in my path, and others paths.
BURN RUBBER, NOT YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:53:58 pm »
Hi,
         I was driving my truck last night on I-95, no street lights around just what light your headlight put out.

Coming into Jax.Fla midnight hardly any traffic and this guy on an R1 comes around me doing an easy three digits! >:D

Ok, he's got stones and I love seeing a sportbike blow past,but could not help but think if he hit a 4x4 or a piece of steel, even a "gator" from an 18 wheeler?

Yea he's toast! Just sayin,you need to be able to see your road conditions or your playing a dangerous game! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:38:45 pm »
WAZERS warn of pot holes.  I just posted in the "Say anything" forum about it.

WAZERs also warn in real time of obstructions on road or on shoulder, construction zones, standstill traffic ahead, speed checks, and a host of other dangerous stuff  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:30:31 am »
I use waze when caging it somewhere long distance, very cool
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline LessPaul

• Street Cruiser
    • Tim Perry Creative Services
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:15 pm »
Last year  here in Mushagain, a rider in a group bit it on a big pothole on his way to a Blessing of the Bikes thing in Baldwin, MI. The pothole was way big from what I hear, and it was just past a rise, and invisible from the road until right on it. He hit it, went down, and was struck by another rider in his group.

A buddy of mine was a friend of the deceased. He said by the next day that this pothole (and others on that same road) were repaired. Funny how there's never enough money to maintain the roads, but there's always enough to fix it after someone dies.

Original story: http://woodtv.com/2014/05/18/motorcyclist-loses-control-of-bike-dies-in-crash/

For those of us in the north, springtime can never come early enough. But I'm always a basket case until the sand/gravel clears and some of these moon craters get fixed.

1971 Honda CB350 (in '76)
Time passes. Like 35+ years
1986 Kawasaki Concours (in '13)
Life is once again as it should be.

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 06:42:02 pm »

I have looked at this photo now for hours and I have yet to find the Pothole...
after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:59:30 pm »
Pothole??? What are they talking about ManWorkingHere?? :-\ :-\ :-\.... No safety first.That woman in the pic is the only thing that could keep me off my bike for good LOL :)) I'll give you another four hours to reply.LOL :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:04:45 pm by acisroc »
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 02:40:26 pm »
Pothole???

I'll give you another four hours to reply.LOL :rotflmao:

It took me much longer than the four hours to study the image again (and again) so I will admit defeat to find a pothole in that picture.

You win. Sorry for hijacking the thread.  :)
after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292