Author Topic: Close calls  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Mabupa

• mabupa
  • Tricycle
  • mabupa
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12757
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Close calls
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 12:00:18 am »
April, 2017- I decided I was going to leave the Tampa area and ride my hayabusa to Georgia state and then ride back south through the scenic A1A road. I left the house at around 6AM and by 4PM I was back down by Ormond beach, so I decided I was jumping back on the main highway and heading home to try and make it by dawn. I take I95 South and then jump on the lovely I4 West(rated one of the deadliest in America as of recent studies). Going through orlando the traffic was heavy, but flowing at 55MPH or so. All of a sudden, everyone slammed on their brakes and I clamped on to my brake lever and the rear was almost in the air. I see the van In front of me and get ready for impact, but the lady driver sees that she is about to hit the Mini Cooper in front of her and decides to shoot for the median. It was blessing she did because that gave me more room to shed speed before hitting something. I stopped inches away from the cooper’s rear bumper and the van to my left and and just looking at the lady in the van through her passenger window while shaking our heads. That’s the first time I felt good about spending the money on that Brembo master cylinder. I’m sure if I would’ve had the stock master cylinder, I would’ve taken an ambulance ride or worse.

Offline funsize

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9297A
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 08:42:47 pm »
Had a similar "turkey encounter" near Vogle State park, not far from where the Run With The Wolf Rally takes place. We were coming to the intersection with US 129 and a hen turkey flushed off the shoulder across in front of us on the C-10. Missed us by "that much...." Good up close view of a hen turkey's belly, though... ;D

Jorge and I were out east in Finger Lakes, New York when a bird hit the side of my helmet and dislodged the visor.  We were on his C-10.  I couldn't get the visor back on so he stopped at a winery and I fixed the visor.  Since we were in the winery, we did stop and tour the place and bought a case of wine.  They mailed to us.

We've had several close calls with animals.

Irene

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:32 am »
Did the wine have a "bird" theme? Such as Ghosthawk Wines or Falcon chardonnay? Not so lucky to stop but sounds like a good place for a quick repair.

Offline Concours Canuck

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 10823
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 08:46:00 pm »
Trolling around the Forum, hardly able to contain myself with Spring in the air and salt still on the roads with yet another Nor'easter coming, this is one of the first threads I spotted. These stories, while terrifying, reminded me of my own terrifying past situations. SO - all these combined motivated me to sign up for the local MSF Advanced Rider course. At only $165, it's likely the cheapest insurance to be had. Looking forward to safer riding and less terror....the last thing I want to be is a terrorist (sic).
2008 C14 - What a machine!
Neutron Silver

SOLD - 2005 Connie

Offline funsize

• Scooter
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 10:58:58 pm »
Did the wine have a "bird" theme? Such as Ghosthawk Wines or Falcon chardonnay? Not so lucky to stop but sounds like a good place for a quick repair.

No bird theme but very tasty winel.   :)

Offline llmotoll

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10391
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 03:12:54 pm »
It was about 5pm early June 2015, our 9th day on the road averaging 500 miles a day. We (Brother & I) had been droning on freeway around Chicago, IL heading East rush hour traffic picking up. We had been riding since 8am and wanted to get as far east as a groaning bellies would allow before stopping for dinner. He was leading at 5-10 mph over posted limit. We were casually passing slower traffic all day, verbal call outs on any potential dangers, at this point in the day we usually didnt talk much, just enjoying the ride and keeping our heads on a swivel through the moderately heavy traffic (4 lane freeway). Brother flicks on his blinker steers into the fast lane, i follow suite and he YELLs out "CAR! CAR!" after quickly checking mirrors again i see nothing, looking forward see nothing out of place or any hazards He screams again "CAR! CAR!" i reply "Where?! What are you talking about i dont see anything" I check my left side mirror again and in the blind spot mirror i see the front right corner of a silver BMW inches from my left side saddle bag. I immediately move right and check lane is clear for lane change. Brother said that BMW had to be exceeding 120 MPH cause it was at least a mile back when he switched lanes. After i had changed lanes the BMW merged back into the fast lane from the emergency lane up beside me. I motioned to him best i could "I did not see you" with hand signals as i was slowing way down trying to regain my composure and slow my heart rate focusing on traffic at hand so i didn't get into an accident trying to recover from the close call. Then the BMW decided he would avenge the close call by swerving into me trying to hit me. The first couple times he swerved toward me leaving six feet or more in between us. Then he came directly toward me within inches trying to hit me and i slowed down and pulled off the road stopping to get off the bike. He accelerated and took off.
Unbelievable. It was totally my fault cutting him off not thoroughly checking prior to changing lanes. But for him to go all "Road Rage" was certainly a first and two close calls back to back had me rattled for the rest of the day.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS        
2001 Suzuki SV650 ~ Sold
CDA#415

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 10:38:48 pm »
     Well this story is probably ten years or so old now, and I have told it numerous times over the years. Rather than type out a version. I decided to do a search and copy and paste one of my close calls. IIRC, this took place Approximately September 2007. So here is my close call tale.

Well, I've told this story a few times before. But it is kind of interesting. Back a few years ago, my buddy and I were on our annual trip into the Vermont-New Hampshire area in September. Well this year we had the ride of our like on Rt112 (the Kancamagus highway). We had zero traffic in front of us (well the few we encountered came at perfect passing times). So we were really running along at a fast pace. (Of course we never broke the speed limit!  ::)   )
    Well after a good distance of fun, we back it down to a slower pace. As we go around the next downhill turn that goes into another turn. I see a car coming out of the turn in my lane. Well I'm in serious trouble. I can't go into his lane in case he swerves back. I can't go off the shoulder, because it drops off into the rock cliffs. And I obviously can't stay in my lane.
 So I grab my brakes for all their worth. (All the brake practicing in the world was not going to save me today) So I would have kissed my butt goodbye if I could reach. But the one thing I had running in the back of my mind was that my 2008 C14 has ABS. So as the brakes vibrated like being on the rumble strips and I kept on the brakes (nose diving and all). The ABS allowed me to maintain somewhat control of the bike. So I aimed for just on the outside of the white line between the line and the drop off of the road edge. Luckily the car swerves just as I was going by him. I ran around that turn between the white line and the drop off. And by the miracle of God, I made it.
     I was very rattled and extremely mad. So I slowed for a bit, and then headed straight for my hotel in North Conway. I made my buddy lead because I was not in a safe mind and should have parked the bike. (I wouldn't lead the next day either)  Anyway my buddy told me that he was sure he was calling my wife with very bad news. He was behind me enough that he managed to slow and might have gotten out of the jam. So he said he thought for sure that I was a goner.
     So two days later we continue our trip to Stowe Vermont. Of course it poured the whole way. And it's probably close to 200 miles up there. So we get to the hotel and decide to hit the hot tub. We meet this nice couple from England who were on holiday. We get talking bikes. My buddy had a mint 67 Triumph. As we discussed it, I said that I was always preferred the BSA. Well this nice English gent said he felt the same way. So we have a nice conversation.
      Well the talk turns to travel. I mention how I want to go to the UK or Australia. But I'm afraid that I would ride on the wrong side of the road. We he says, yes it very easy for that to happen. Just a few days ago, they had pulled out of a pull off and he said that they were on the wrong side of the road and just never realized it. He said he came around a turn, and a couple of motorbikes were in his lane. He went on to say that they just were not swerving back in their lane. Then he realized that it was he who was in the wrong lane. He said that he swerved and just missed the gent by inches. He pulled over up the road and was terrible shaken. The thought that he had almost killed two people was overwhelming him.
    I hear this story and I ask him. This didn't happen to be on RT112 between Lincoln and Conway, was it? He say, yes it just happened to be. So I look at him and ask: Are you driving a black Charger by chance. Well his face kind of went blank. He said that was you gentlemen? He said, you must have some awful this you want to say to me. But here’s the funny part. I wasn't mad. I was relieved that I now knew why this happened. And my fears came true for these nice folks. You may think I'm crazy, but I forgave him and felt better having the closure knowing why.
     Well the next morning, he brought me a BSA pin that he had worn for years (he use to ride them). He wanted me to have it. I accepted it and have it to this day. It was a token of a new friendship with folks that I will probably never see again. Yet we were brought together in the strange scenario. But what are the odds of meeting the same people, days later, hundreds of miles away? Kind of funny, wouldn't you say.
      Anyway, I will say without a doubt. ABS saved my life that day. I cannot preach the merits of having them enough. But here's another weird scenario. I had a bad wreck on my C10 a couple of years earlier. I high sided after the rear wheel locked on me. (Yes I was ignorant and thought I was better than ABS could be) But the day came where I still managed to lock the rear in a slide through gavel. When I hit the pavement again, everything went dark. My permeant injuries will always remind me how ignorant I was in my thinking that I was better than ABS. I found out the hard way that I wasn't. All the practicing was pretty much for nothing that day.
      Now again, the funny part. I can't help but wonder if God let me wreck that day on purpose. Had I not been medevac’d out that day. There's a good chance I would not have bought that Concours14 ABS. I probably would have been riding my beautiful Red 2003 Concours C10 in New Hampshire that day. And I would now be dead! It's funny how some things turn out.   ;)

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 11:11:33 pm »
^ Great read!
Good karma happens or is it directed?

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 03:05:33 pm »
Ok, I'll share.  I doubt there is a guy on this forum who does not have several of his own stories.

Was raining and I was following an 18 wheeler.  It was of course throwing off a tremendous amount of dirty road mist.    I backed off some but was not looking forward to following this guy.  So I finally see an opening and start to pass him.  I was about even with him when I applied a full handful of throttle to get by him.  Bad move, as the rear tire broke loose and I started to fishtail dangerously close to the rig.  Almost went down.  Thankfully, I stayed up.  So moral of story, respect the Connies power on wet roads.

Steve

Does your bike have traction control ?

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2018, 04:54:03 am »
Several years ago at El Mirage Dry Lakes in California, despite 10 screws in each side of the bead, I spun the rear wheel inside the tire while going approximately 185 mph. The bike which is 8 & 1/2 feet long, twin Z-1 Turbo'd engines immediately began to oscillate. The front wheel stayed straight-ish while the back swung from lock to lock. Have you ever had things go into slow motion? That's where I was, thinking "Get off, no stay on". The first rule in LSR is NEVER voluntarily get off at speed. After riding the bike to a stop and just sitting on it the ambulance driver walked over to see if I was ok. He pointed out that I had a flat tire!
  When we loaded it on the trailer the front and rear were tracking 18 inches off from the tire being rolled over one side of the rim.
 At that years awards banquet I was given the "Brown Shorts Award" >:(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:05:30 am by Deepsea »
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12674
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 03:53:04 pm »
Annual close calls for me. 

In Utah it seem we transition from winter to summer over a two week period.  Every year when we suddenly shoot from 40° to 85°, I re-learn about tar snakes when I take very familiar local roads a bit quicker than I should in warm weather. 

The flip-side to that is that I try to ride year round as long as the temps are in the mid-teens or higher, and as long as the roads are dry.   There is a one block section of road close to work that must have a high water table or some other water source, as water often seems to weep from the concrete median long after we've had any kind of rain or snow.  In the winter, that weeping turns into two or three lanes of ice.  25 miles of "dry" roads mean little when you unexpectedly encounter a 10' patch of ice.  Just like the tar snakes, I have to re-learn this every year when we get our first hard freeze.

Offline oldsmoboat

• Road Bike
  • 2004 C10
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 04:23:24 pm »

2016, Oakland, CA - Triumph Trophy SE 1200: This may be hard to describe. At most freeway off-ramps there's a small zone between the road you were on and where the ramp curves off, and usually it's just blacktop with paint stripes delineating the road and ramp.
Gore point

Offline Rastus

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12520
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 03:01:47 am »
Do crashes count as close calls if you survive them? My first crash was on highway 33 between Ohai and Maricopa. Used to be able to make the 84 mile ride in an hour. Heading down the mountain toward Ohai one night I dove into a decreasing-radius right-hander way too hot. On the shoulder on the wrong side of the road, leaning hard, when front wheel hit a rut. Laid it down, skidded down the side of the road. Helmet and leathers did their job.
#2 crash: Oncoming old man in a van made a left turn in front of me on a 4-lane street, saw the car beside me in the slow lane but not me, and stopped in my lane, putting up the perfect road block. Left 60 feet of rubber before I hit the side doors on the van at about 30 mph. Helmet saved my head.
#3 crash: Riding at night between Taft and Bakersfield, California, at about 95 mph, when a Black Labrador ran across the road in front of me. Never even saw it coming. One second I was up, cruising, thinking life was a breeze, and then BAM, and I'm sliding down the road behind my Z1-R on its' side. Probably slid 75 yards. Protective gear saved my a** once again.
#4 crash: Riding at night near Mankato, Minnesota, when I went through a road construction area, got on pavement again, and just as I got up to speed I crested a rise to see mounds of dirt, rock, and gravel. Worst injuries of all.
#5 crash: Riding twisty highway 74 near Jasper, Arkansas, on 77 KZ-1000, when I ran it off a decreasing-radius left-hander, crashing into a culvert and boulders. Helmet did it's job.
Some people would question my  sanity for still riding. I don't have the need for speed that I once did, and I use much more caution than in my young-and-dumb days. And I try not to ride at night if I don't have to. I always heard that there are two types of riders, those who have crashed, and those who are about to crash. Helmets and dumb luck are the reason I'm able to recount these events.

Offline funsize

• Scooter
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 10:20:06 am »
My latest close call ended up being too close.  I was riding to the gas station before heading to work.  I'm on the right lane already slowing down and had my turn signal one when I get hit from behind as I'm making my turn into the station.  I tried to keep the bike up but not possible.  I go down with the bike on top of me.  Once I got out, the guy who hits me starts yelling at me that it's all my fault.  Can you believe that!  He said I didn't have my turn signal on.  I told him I did.  Thankfully, I had an eye witness.  Once he heard her say that she saw the signal on and that it was still on he decided to change his story.  He then said that I cut him off.  Thankfully, the deputy sheriff didn't believe his story. 

Irene

Offline Rico

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2018, 11:09:44 am »
Funsize, glad your okay! Let us know how this turns out.
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline funsize

• Scooter
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 08:31:46 am »
Funsize, glad your okay! Let us know how this turns out.

I'm still dealing with his insurance company.  They are dragging their feet. I'll be making a phone call this week to see what is the hold up. 

Irene

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:04 am »
Westbound I-90, heading into tunnels before entering Seattle. Misty day. Wet concrete slab. Routine traffic. I spot an accident that had been cleared to LH shoulder. I am in carpool lane, following a car (very safe distance). When the car, for no apparent reasons, hit brakes to change lanes. I touch front brakes. Little did I know, I was right in the middle of rainwater-coolant-mix left after previous accident. Before I knew it, I was sliding down in my lane on all four, with bike sliding inches in front of me. A day before I had installed engine guard on my Vee. Traffic stopped, all 4 lanes. WASP who was still working earlier accident looked my way, gestured me, " Am I OK?" as I was picking my bike and dragging it to RH shoulder. Traffic still halted. My riding suit was torn around RH elbow, hip and ankle. No blood just bruises. I atribute minimal abrasion to wet concrete, lubricated by Dexcool coolant which I could still smell days after the indecent. RH handlebar weight got scraped, brake lever broke and engine guard got scraped. 
Low siding a bike at 60+mph in tight traffic is unforgettable experience.
I am thankful to all motorists behind me who drove that day on I-90. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:38:35 am by RoadKillHeaven »