Author Topic: Double yellow passing  (Read 23803 times)

Offline suprPHREAK

• Training Wheels
  • Yeah sure, let's go there!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Double yellow passing
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2015, 02:21:21 pm »
Bottom line, for me at least:  Chill out and wait for a legal passing zone.

As has been pointed out in this thread, "legal" c arries many definitions.

I'm in Ontario, and technically there is no law which prohibits passing on a solid/double solid line. All road lines are recommendations for what is considered to be safest in that spot. I think the idea is for when you need to pass slow farm equipment or whatever that may be on the road. Either way, it is based on a typical car's acceleration, so obviously a bike can overtake much faster.

Where the law does prohibit passing, is where there is signage saying DO NOT PASS. Then the ticket for that is failure to obey road sign.

At any rate, the recommendations are there, in paint. Up to you to follow them or not. Just be wise about it. Personally, I obey the double-yellow always, and am cautious with anything else.
2008 C14 (50K)
2014 Hyperstrada (garbage) (4.5K)/2007 ZX14 (104K)/2005 ZX6R (63.5K)
2004 SV650 (30K)/2003 ZZR250 (15K)/1996 VFR750 (15K)
-------
73% of the way to the moon!

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2015, 08:01:33 pm »
CT law does not allow crossing the solid yellow line except for a left hand turn maneuver.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2015, 12:20:41 am »
Depending on the situation, I have no problem with "defensive acceleration".  >:D
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2015, 01:34:56 am »
Passing zones are designed for cars and trucks.  Not motorcycles.

I dont have any problem with it as long as theres plenty of room and thats usually the case with just about any modern motorcycle these days.  The notion that you can't pass safely unless the lines are marked so is complete nonsense. Though you better not be making oncoming traffic have the O@$HIT face, either.

However I will always give them a chance to brake and move to the right a bit.   Someone said, just stop and let them go ahead for 5 minutes.  Funny you say that because I've done just that more than once !

Though with that said, you better be damn sure GRAMPS in front of you is not fixing to make a left turn without signaling or your gonna have a damn headache !

What I thought was VERY interesting, and smart was the state that allows passing regardless of the lines marking if it can be done safe. 

Thats a big damn piece of common sense cake there and I like that.  We need that in Texas.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:45:15 am by JTX »

Offline Ironjack

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11848
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2015, 03:52:21 am »
I will add my two cents worth and add to JTX's comments. As a retired engineer and die hard motorcyclist, I have some insight into all this. JTX, is absolutely correct when he states that the roads, which means curves also, and the passing or no passing zones are all designed with four wheeled vehicles in mind. Motorcycles are never considered when designing roads. As most of you already know, a motorcycle like the Connie can take a posted curve at nearly double the speed posted, because it is posted with DOT guidelines for 4 wheel vehicles and is all calculated for a safe speed around the curve. The no passing zones are no different. If one were to read the traffic laws of each state very close, one would see that when a vehicle does pass another vehicle it should do so quickly, safely, and pull back into the lane doing the posted speed limit. We all do that right?!?!?!? There are no doubt many areas in most states where a motorcycle like a concours could easily make a pass on double yellow because of the blistering acceleration, but it still would not be considered legal in most states. Should we do it? If it endangers anyone, rider included, I would have to say vehemently no.
2014 Concours 14
1981 BMW R100RT (restored by me)

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2015, 03:58:47 am »
Passing over double yellow is like speeding or anything else 99.9% of us do.  11 pages of this?  uhmmm OK  :great: :beerchug:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:10:42 am by stevewfl »
KiPass!

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2015, 06:41:12 am »
 50% or more no passing zones are designed for tractors and rvs.
 I ride accordingly.

Offline Ironjack

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11848
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2015, 03:26:17 am »
danodemotoman, not trying to start an argument, I can tell you that no passing zones are not designed for tractors and rv's. they are designed for traffic, which is cars, (pickup trucks), and over the road trucks. I studied traffic engineering at Purdue, and tractors do not figure into road design.
2014 Concours 14
1981 BMW R100RT (restored by me)

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2015, 06:07:45 am »
 Yes IronJack, i do know that. No problem pointing it out.
 Tractors like a over the road truck... just generalizing. Surely not designed for higher capable vehicles like MC's.
 I had one patrolman agree that my motorcycle could easily make the pass safe and he did not ticket me for THAT.

danodemotoman, not trying to start an argument, I can tell you that no passing zones are not designed for tractors and rv's. they are designed for traffic, which is cars, (pickup trucks), and over the road trucks. I studied traffic engineering at Purdue, and tractors do not figure into road design.
[/quote

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2015, 12:24:15 pm »
"Some" bikes may not safely pass across the double yellow....I won't mention any specific brand

KiPass!

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2015, 12:05:10 am »
Under certain circumstances, I find it necessary to pass in a double yellow line, even when driving my car. In rural areas, it is not unusual to find yourself behind a farm tractor, or a hay wagon, or a backhoe, (or a tourist, or a Harley rider) making its way down a public road at speeds of less than 20 mph. Seems like with every repaving job, what once were legal passing zones disappear, becoming re-painted with double yellow lines instead. There is no reasonable alternative if stuck behind a 15 mph haywagon. Pass the dang thing!
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2015, 06:28:57 pm »
In My Opinion and I am opinionated! If you are riding on twisting country roads stuck in a parade of cars, trucks and other vehicles following these people on a bike its only a matter of time before one of them makes a mistake at your expense. Some fool texting not paying attention. a deer or other critter darts out and someone locks them up. How do you react to objects in the road if you never see it until the guy in front throws it in your face? Chuck holes? One of the drivers behind you gets pissed off and decides he cannot deal with the stupidity anymore decides to pass you and other cars. All because the guy at the front is too inconsiderate to pull off and let traffic by. Which is law also.  You stay in the pack and smell the diesel with little or no outs until something happens. Personally I am going to hammer down my C14 and blow by the guy at the first opportunity and put myself into a safe, happy, and fun environment to ride.  I sure as heck did not buy a bike that goes 0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds to read COEXIST and Obama bumper stickers all day. And God Forbid you get behind a Lumber Truck or some other psycho load what do you do? I still think you are poking the sleeping dog.

To be totally honest and I am sure many will agree. I thoroughly love blowing by traffic on Country Roads when safe, Especially Priuses, PT Cruisers and V-Twin Motorcycles. It gives me a sense of power that really makes me feel good. Its right up there with an eagle on a golf course, a five lb or larger bass, completion of a hard worked project, a twelve point buck, or the face of a satisfied woman.

:rotflmao:   You my friend are a poet.
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:00 pm »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2015, 10:33:28 pm »
11 pages?  Really? 
                              :D ::) :truce: :rotflmao: ??? :))
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline nic1965

• Tricycle
  • NewConnie
  • COG#: 11862
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2015, 10:58:09 pm »
Illegal passing....what about that fully loaded truck just cresting the hill? Think he'll put it in the ditch cause another dumb driver is impatient ? Don't ask how I know, but no. Just be aware that speed kills. Is it worth it ?

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2015, 11:28:24 pm »
Illegal passing....what about that fully loaded truck just cresting the hill? Think he'll put it in the ditch cause another dumb driver is impatient ? Don't ask how I know, but no. Just be aware that speed kills. Is it worth it ?

Really? You're equating blatantly dangerous situations with
simply passing on a double yellow. Not quite the same.
Now get back in bed before you hurt yourself with that
high speed internet. Cause, you know, speed kills.
Perhaps you meant reckless speeding is a contributor?

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2015, 02:42:10 am »
This thread "took a turn"  :-X :truce: :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2015, 02:31:27 pm »
11 pages?  Really? 

It's only 4 pages if you set your forum preferences to load 50 replies per page ;D
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2015, 02:35:42 pm »
Thanks,  4Bikes.  I didn't know that. :great:
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2015, 09:12:46 pm »
11 pages?  Really? 

It's only 4 pages if you set your forum preferences to load 50 replies per page ;D

Yes it is, and I just finished all 4 or 11 pages. Who needs books??  I'm just glad that SOME wisdom comes with age. There was a time, long ago, when I thought going by on one wheel was okay  :motonoises: Even then I made sure I had plenty of room and a good line of sight. Tonight on the way home, in the rain, I got behind a pick up with no tailgate and loaded with everything from gas cans to an outboard motor. Two lane double yellow. If you think I'm pulling over to wait, in the rain, or staying behind him at a "safe" following distance your out of your mind and in my opinion taking a huge UNNECESSARY risk. By the time he even knew I was there I had my right turn signal on getting back in front of him. Some one earlier mentioned "risk management". That is what its about IMO....YMMV
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!