Author Topic: Sideswiped on the Highway  (Read 1235 times)

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Sideswiped on the Highway
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 01:11:45 am »
GR, see reply #26. Apparently it's allowed, but not a law.

Ride safe, Ted

AB 51 makes it legal , not just allowed ! There are guidelines to follow or the rider or a car driver can be fined , you can google it if you want more info! I don’t do it though!

Offline JPD

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 03:08:13 am »
Ab 51 didn't make it legal, it just allows guidelines to be established. I did Google it. As posted above they now have been removed by the dot. In  CA. It is not illegal to share lanes. In many states it is.

You are overtaking and hit someone, you are at fault. You might not have moved sideways but you still hit her. An unsafe lane change would be if you were in the adjacent lane and she crossed over and hit you. Then it would be her fault. In your video it looks like the lane next to her is open.

Let's add to the hypothetical.  I think I saw her left arm out the window signaling a turn. Would that be a legal way to signal her lane change? Could you have seen it filtering by her on the right side of her car?

30 years ago in CA. I almost got smacked by a six pack when 2 cars from IL. tried to share as I filtered between them. They didn't expect someone to be driving between them.

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 03:11:45 am »
GR, see reply #26. Apparently it's allowed, but not a law.

Ride safe, Ted
That is incorrect, lane sharing was codified in CA in August of 2016. It is the law.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2019, 12:12:11 pm »
Ab 51 didn't make it legal, it just allows guidelines to be established. I did Google it. As posted above they now have been removed by the dot. In  CA. It is not illegal to share lanes. In many states it is.

You are overtaking and hit someone, you are at fault. You might not have moved sideways but you still hit her. An unsafe lane change would be if you were in the adjacent lane and she crossed over and hit you. Then it would be her fault. In your video it looks like the lane next to her is open.

Let's add to the hypothetical.  I think I saw her left arm out the window signaling a turn. Would that be a legal way to signal her lane change? Could you have seen it filtering by her on the right side of her car?

30 years ago in CA. I almost got smacked by a six pack when 2 cars from IL. tried to share as I filtered between them. They didn't expect someone to be driving between them.
Yea it is legal! You follow the guidelines you wont be cited by the LEO!

Offline oldsmoboat

• Road Bike
  • 2004 C10
  • COG#: 11969
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2019, 06:15:43 pm »
Everything is legal until they make a law against it.  That's how a free society operates. 

Since for years, there was no law against splitting/sharing in California, it wasn't illegal.

If I recall correctly, the new law only defines splitting/sharing and allows the CHP to develop training and guidelines.  There are no codified rules, only guidelines.  If they needed to take an enforcement action, they would likely get you for reckless driving.