Author Topic: Murph's Ball Bearing Shifter  (Read 2238 times)

Offline barberman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Murph's Ball Bearing Shifter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 07:16:07 pm »
Guys,  i'm reading along and how much smoother can it get? I go out and move the shifter by hand and it feels super smooth, but have also kept it lubed.  I mean my shiftin' toe has never been tired on any bike I've owned. ha ha  You guys are goin' on about it like it's something to have.. So maybe your on to something I need to check out.  By the way I had the opportunity to talk with Mike the owner (i believe he said) and we chatted for several minutes. Heck of a nice guy. KJ

Offline Murph

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 2769
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:48 pm »
Hey Guys..

Just wanted to drop in a note here. Seems Mama K has opened up the bore every so slightly so we are now recommending that you use  Lock Tite when switching over to the shifter kit.

Another heads up, there are two little stainless  spacer washers on the unit,   be watching for them when you pull the bolt out of the shifter as they have been know to get lost. Your shifter will drag with out these little  puppies missing..

best
Murph

Online MtnRider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 02:02:37 am »
Hey Murph,

I ordered my kit 3 days ago, shipped the same day and arrived today. Great service!

I ran into an issue I haven't seen discussed in any of the COG threads. When I installed the bearings and spacers in the shifter, with one bearing flush with shifter side the stack extended an 1/8 to 3/16" past the other side of the shifter not including the small washer. It's a 2015 and I have one of shifters where the bearings aren't a press fit. I can push the bearings out by hand. ,So, the shifter had a lot (to me) of side to play with the 2 small washers in place.

I'm not confident blue Locktite can hold the bearings in place with this amount of play and my large ID shifter. For now I placed a thin washer drilled out to the bearing OD over each end, took off the bolt head side small washer and snugged the bolt down with blue Locktite. It seems to move fine in the garage. Test ride tomorrow.

Is the bearing stack supposed to be wider than the shifter body (without the small washers)? Is my "solution" ok?

I have a decent caliper so can do some measurements if you want.

Thanks!

Leo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:05:50 pm by MtnRider »
Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

2015 Black C14  (& she's not too fat, FAT is a '06 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - 850 lbs+!)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 01:38:54 pm »
Leo, I had the same concerns. {I initially forget about the Loctite}
Added the be Blue Loctite, and it worked perfectly.
 NOTE: If the bore is excessively big, you could use Superglue Gel, but I think the Loctite will do fine..

Remove your extra washers as they are making contact with the body of the shifter and will cause friction.
You should have a thin thrust washer outside of each bearing.
    To prevent friction, they make contact only with the inner bearing race.

As I recall the stack is thin thrust washer/bearing/thick thrust washer/bearing/thin thrust washer.
The bearing's/thrust washer's stack will be approx. 1/32 wider than your shifter body.

Hope this helps.
       Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Online MtnRider

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 03:56:38 pm »
Thanks Ted.

But just the 3 bearings and the 2 spacers are probably 1/16"+ wider than the shifter body. When I add in the 2  thrust washers the total gap between between the bracket/shifter/bolt head is 1/8 - 3/16". So, that's how much side to side play would be in the shifter without gluing the bearings in place. And that's a lot of gap for crub to accumulate in. The 2 washers I added have an ID larger than the OD of the bearings. So, they are not putting any clamping pressure on the outer bearing race to restrict its rotation., they are just a gap filler for that 1/8 - 3/16.

Murph the shifter body is right at 20.21mm/.795" wide. Is that the expected width? I will take it back apart for pictures if you want.

Now with all this said, the shifter rotates easily and smoothly. I took it out for a ride this morning and it shifts great, nice and crisp like all the others. So I`m really happy with the bearings.   :great:  :motonoises:  I'm not trying to complain here, just wanted you to know my observations in how this went together as it seems it wasn't quite as other installs.

Thanks.

Leo
Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

2015 Black C14  (& she's not too fat, FAT is a '06 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - 850 lbs+!)

Online MtnRider

• Tricycle
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 07:21:19 pm »
Ted,

I thought more about your post, reviewed Murph's instructions and went out and looked at it again. So, I took it off and installed as directed.

With the shifter centered, actually doesn't look too bad.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Now with the shifter pushed against the mounting. This what has me concerned because it's too easy to move like this by hand.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

With just this slip fit of the bearings I'm concerned a good bump or kick to the shifter could loosen up the locktite or super glue.

I think I'll keep the 2 thin large washer in place as they just fill the gaps on both sides in the first picture. They aren't causing any drag on the shifter and eliminate my concern for it moving side to side if the glue doesn't keep the bearings in place.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:28:32 pm by MtnRider »

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 07:42:49 pm »
I went back and looked at mine thinking I might be giving bad info.
The Blue Loctite is holding mine from moving perfectly. I even tried using a screwdriver to move it.
Does not move side to side...
I did err on 1 thing. {I sed; The bearing's/thrust washer's stack will be approx. 1/32 wider than your shifter body}.

The bearings are approx. flush with both sides of the shifter body. So, the gap on each side is the thickness of the trust washer.
Didn't take mine apart to check that measurement, but I think ..030 on each side.
So my note should say, "The bearing's/thrust washer's stack will be approx. 1/32 wider than your shifter body on each side".

NOTE: I did measure the thickness of my shifter. On the bike it's difficult to be exact, but I measure it at .080".

With or without your washer, I feel certain all you have to do is use the Blue Loctite and you'll be fine..

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:22:12 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Online MtnRider

• Tricycle
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2018, 08:15:35 pm »
When I put it back together I blue locktited it so should be good.

Once again, I am really happy with the bearing kit and how the bike shifts with it. Like everyone else says one of the best and inexpensive things you can do.

Thanks Murph!

PS: If you think my posts will be problematic or confuse things I can clear out the content.

Leo

Offline Murph

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 09:27:45 pm »
Ever wonder if Murph sits around and contemplates.....why the heck did I get 116 orders for bearing shifters in one day?

;D  most orders I think we ever got on this in one day was 12...and I told Patty "they must be talking about it on the forum"  :D

As I like to talk politics ( apposed to pretty much all of them  :nananana:) and tend to push my products , I've pretty much quit showing up on forums to protect my image  :great:

Patty says I'm an.... never mind

appreciate the kind words and honest feedback, on all our stuff..warts included .

Murph
COG 2769

Online MtnRider

• Tricycle
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 12:32:09 am »
I don't think your product has any warts at all. Sorry if it came across that way. I love how it shifts now.

My shifter has an oversize ID wart! When the bearings would just fall out of one side I guess it spooked me a little. Wasn't sure how well the loctite would hold long term with that much clearance.

Thanks for the great product and service!

Leo

Offline Murph

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 09:07:37 pm »
Mtn..

didn't come across that way at all, it was a generic statement by me about all our products .

Murph