Author Topic: Spring Fling 2018 Wellsboro, PA  (Read 6986 times)

Offline gsjay

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 32
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Spring Fling 2018 Wellsboro, PA
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:06 am »
Looks like I kept the old girl clean for nothing. ;)

Looks like a traditional Wellsboro rally weather wise.  But there's plenty of destination rides and a brewpub in town so all is well! :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

Look at the Radar and ride away from the Green!
Pack your umbrella!
Jason

Offline Jack Frederick

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 10474
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2018, 09:35:36 pm »
I've been watching the extended forecast for Wellsboro, and it is changing just about every 12 hours.  I guess it "is what it is".  We all have good rain gear, right!  See everyone Thursday.

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:28 pm »
 :iagree: My thoughts exactly. It’s nearly impossible to have perfect weather for an extended period of time, so any multi day trip requires rain gear. As someone that commutes to work year round on two wheels and never EVER gives into the cage option, I’m fond of the saying “some days are better than others”. If you start not riding because it’s too wet, too windy, too cold, whatever...you will hardly ever ride. Then comes the next one .... “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” and then, Jack’s catch all...”it is what it is”   I’m just hoping my Stebel horn doesn’t drown and fill up like a mug like it did at the Williamsport Spring Fling. That was a lot of riding in the rain. And we survived!   :beerchug:  Besides, the worse the weather, the more you will remember the rally. Something to be said for that. 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2018, 07:15:34 pm »
I've been watching the extended forecast for Wellsboro, and it is changing just about every 12 hours.  I guess it "is what it is".  We all have good rain gear, right!  See everyone Thursday.

Well, I thought I did, but have NO idea where I squirreled it away. It was a good, early 2000 Triumph 1-piece suit, kept you plenty dry, but it was a royal PITA to get into. Really not one you want to try and get into along the side of the road. I'll just have to do what I usually do in my ancient, and very porous, Stich - ride on. Hell, it's only water, eh?

Ya'll ride safe, and see you in Wellsboro.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:08 pm »
Reviewing some of the Wellsboro routes in the Member Library I thought I'd point out these stops.

https://www.forksvillestore.com/
https://www.bullyhillvineyards.com/
https://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/motorcycles.php
http://elkcountryvisitorcenter.com/
http://slaterun.com/default.php

There are soooo..........many things to see and do in the area!
See you soon.
Jason

There are, and I'm trying to remember the location of a little out of the way garage with a collection of bikes. It's on a road that heads south off of Rte. 6, a few miles east of Wellsboro. IIRC, when you're on that road you come to a tee intersection, and that garage was almost directly in front of you. I also believe that route was one of the recommended self tours a number of years ago, but the garage wasn't mentioned.

??????????

Guy,
How about on route 414 heading east out of Morris, Pa. Somewhere over in that neck of the woods IIRC.............don't remember which little town but it's an odd intersection.
Where they mostly Italian bikes? Man, it's been a long time..........
Jason

It HAS been a long time. I have ridden 414 a number of times coming in, and heading out of Wellsboro, but that wasn't it. I am 99.9% sure we had run out Rte. 6 (east) for a number of miles, then headed south on some road that eventually brought us down to this tee intersection..... and you were kinda facing that garage as you were sitting at the stop sign.

Fook! I'll figure it out................
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:54 am »
Im going to wait to later today but it looks like i will be cancelling, due weather and such.
I dont care about getting caught in the rain,,, but it looks like i would see it for 4 days..

If any one hasn't purchased a banquet ticket let me know,,, some thing can be worked out.

Any one need a room at the Sherwood motel?   Before i cancel it? let me know!

No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline gsjay

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 32
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:58 am »
Im going to wait to later today but it looks like i will be cancelling, due weather and such.
I dont care about getting caught in the rain,,, but it looks like i would see it for 4 days..

If any one hasn't purchased a banquet ticket let me know,,, some thing can be worked out.

Any one need a room at the Sherwood motel?   Before i cancel it? let me know!

I don't know what forecast you're looking at but I see 50 % chance of no Rain on Friday, and 60% no Rain on Saturday & Sunday....................
Pack the rain gear & umbrella!
jason

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2018, 11:39:07 am »
The weather service I use the most, Dark Sky says no chance of rain until early Sunday morning, and its a small chance.    The most pessimistic forecast I can find is the Weather Channel.  The say showers not rain, and at worst a 50% chance on only two days.  We ride   :motonoises: It actually looks like great riding weather, not too hot, not windy, and no sun in the eyes.   I'm still bringing the rain gear......

Does anybody remember the Fall Fling in Lake George two years ago?  They called for a Hurricane washout, and we never saw a single drop.

Weather Channel.......
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2018, 01:08:45 pm »
+1 4Bikes....  I like the forecast you have, but we will have a great time rain or shine... This is COG... it's what we do. Registration stands at 92.

Some folks are headed out today, and most tomorrow. I'm headed out around 6:30AM tomorrow.

Safe travels to all. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
I know you guys are correct, and i agree, but there are other reasons also,,,
I really need a getaway, just not working out in my behalf..

So again, if someone needs a Banquet ticket let me know

Hope you all have a blast, and ill miss it for sure. 

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2018, 04:36:10 pm »
Sorry to hear that, I was going to tell you how much I like your Switchback lights that you sell.  So that's the bad news.  The good news is the Weather Channel backed down the % chance of showers on Friday and Sunday, hopefully getting in line with Dark Sky.

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:57 pm »
Sorry to hear that, I was going to tell you how much I like your Switchback lights that you sell.  So that's the bad news.  The good news is the Weather Channel backed down the % chance of showers on Friday and Sunday, hopefully getting in line with Dark Sky.
I really wish this worked out, but there will be other trips.

Hope you all have a great weekend,,, ill be installing my sister new garage doors since ill be home.

You all be safe, an keep the shiny side up!

Miles and Smiles!

Now im off to the butcher, for something to soke this weekend now .

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22:26 pm »
I remember the guy with the bikes too! It was a concrete cinder block old gas station type of a place loaded with old bikes diagonally off an intersection of a T-bone type. I've been there twice but couldn't remember the name of the town or roads. It was part of the very first COG ride I went to with my wife and we were riding with Norm, Gerry and Sherry, and a few others from the New England area. It was great.
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2018, 08:33:29 pm »
For all of the hype about the weather, I can attest that today couldn’t have been a sunnier more pleasant day possible.  Jack, Lost and Found (Mike), Greg and I cruised up to Watkins Glen for a great lunch. We were running the Garmin Curvey Roads App for the route back. It worked great until we hit a bridge detour, got impatient with the Penn Dot version of a detour and tried our own route. It ended up on stone roads. I’m sure Mike on the ADV bike was rolling his eyes when the three Concours were turning around for paved roads. I think I’m starting to get that whole ADV thing.  :-[  183 miles of Bliss.  :motonoises:

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #139 on: Yesterday at 02:55:22 pm »
Well we obviously didn't make it. So sad. So how was it? The weather at my home looked to be similar on the radar to Wellsboro. So I figured I probably would have spent Saturday in the tavern again with folks.  :))

Offline Pat and Sher in MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7670
« Reply #140 on: Yesterday at 07:40:13 pm »
Just want to say Thanks to everyone involved in this Spring Fling. Things went great with only Saturday morning being a little damp.
Thursday & Friday were very good. The food and company were typical COG which means awesome and we hope everyone else had a
good time.

Thanks again to all who produced and attended the event  :great:   :beerchug:
Pat & Sher in Ma.  04 C10 Dark Angel,  87 Ninja 600RX,  85 GPz 750 Turbo, 79 KZ1300 (x2)

Offline S Smith

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #141 on: Yesterday at 10:25:38 pm »
Great event... thanks to the attendees for making it so.

Made it home in 6 hrs. including breakfast and fuel stops. Best was being able to be seated at the recital before it began.

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #142 on: Yesterday at 11:08:26 pm »
Just want to say Thanks to everyone involved in this Spring Fling. Things went great with only Saturday morning being a little damp.
Thursday & Friday were very good. The food and company were typical COG which means awesome and we hope everyone else had a
good time.

Thanks again to all who produced and attended the event  :great:   :beerchug:
That sums it up perfectly. Thanks to Terry and Kev for Fridays company and John Dave and Wayne for leading me on some great roads and atraction stops. I got to practice rear tire pluging 101 an hour into the return home. Love those TPS. Cheers everyone.

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #143 on: Yesterday at 11:17:18 pm »
I agree with all things said about the weather, comraderie, riding, and food. It was a great time!  Made it home, and was washing the bike within 5 minutes. It looked like one of those fracking trucks.

Offline Jerry Gowen

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 19
« Reply #144 on: Today at 01:21:29 am »
Another great Jason and Co. Rally. Glad to see a lot of old friends and meet new ones. Really would like to ride to rally, but need for knee replacement kind of puts a damper on any long ride. Made it home to central Jersey in just about 4 hrs and that with 2 stops to drain  the lizard. Sure as hell beats the 6.5 hrs it took to get to Rally due to that major bus/truck accident on 80W in Jersey. Seems AH bus driver tried to make a illegal U-turn on 80, a MAJOR East-West thru Jersey. And bus was filled with kids.
Hope everyone made it home ok. Hope to make NH for the Fall Rally.  ;)
Jerry Gowen Cog 19  South River, NJ

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #145 on: Today at 09:10:19 am »
We had a great time. Friday was perfect with a visit to Corning Glass. Saturday had a bit of moisture but great riding. Only a few showers on the way home. We saw the heaviest rain on Sunday as we stood by the side of a road; looking up at a Bald eagle's nest with the pair of big birds in attendance. It was awesome. Thanks Jason and all the great people who attended to make this a memorable event. And thanks to Mitch for showing us some very fine roads to ride upon.

Pic is view from East rim of Grand Canyon Saturday

Offline S Smith

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #146 on: Today at 04:55:37 pm »

Many thanks to the folks who made the NE Spring Fling rally awesome.... the attendees.

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #147 on: Today at 06:50:10 pm »
Nice touch with the flag, sorry but no Maple Leaf Sailor Rich.   I would say most of the attendees since some are missing.