Author Topic: '05 KLR-650 (Mama is not happy)  (Read 2025 times)

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
  • "I'm like a rain magnet"
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8862
  • Membership Level: Active
'05 KLR-650 (Mama is not happy)
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:19:25 pm »
I made an offer on a 2001 KLR 650 with 17k miles on her today.  It has been dropped, has a few scratches (but it's a KLR, so I think is is supposed to have those).

I have some concerns
Never has done the 'do-hickey'
Never has adjusted the valves???

It was clean, I didn't notice any oil leaks.  I fired it up from a cold start without any issues, no smoke, ran fine...  New tires.  He said that original color was green, but P.O. to him changed out the platics for the red (which I like better)

I offered him $1500, he listed it for $2000, so we will see how it goes, will know more on Saturday, when we meet againt to exchange money / title.

Mama is not happy....  I kind of promised that I would have the '03 C-10 fixed and sold before I bought another motorcycle.... well things happen :-[

Any thoughts from you KLR guys out there?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:57:54 pm by MizzouMike »
2000 Concours - "Red Foxx -2"
2013 HD Ultra Classic "Queen B"
AMA, COG, IBA

Offline Simba

• GASDOC
  • Moped
  • COG Member
  • COG#: 11052
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: '05 KLR-650 (Mama is not happy)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:30:56 pm »
1. Very good price even if you end up paying close to his asking.
2. Get the valves done but no crazy rush.
3. The 'Doo' is overated in my opinion.  Don't stress it.  The number of failures are extremely low.  Ones who have had failures are extremely active in various KLR forums and you might think this is a big problem.

Tire Pressure for ME:
Front tire: 22-25 psi
Rear tire: 28-30

Do normal maintenance and go for a ride on some dirt roads.  KLR650s hate being babied.  Come back from your dual sport ride and say "I should have gotten a bike like this a long time ago"

Simba

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:38 am »
Here in Oregon, it is not uncommon to see "07 and up KLR going for less than 3k.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline notime2ride

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11947
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »
Looks as if you found a nice clean KLR MizzouMike. Good price too!   I've got a 2001 myself with 20K+ on it now with no troubles.  I agree with Simba, don't sweat the Doohicky and just ride!  If the PO hasn't adjusted the valves I'd do that if I were you if only for piece of mind.    I've got most of the farkles done for adventure touring so if you need any questions let me know.  They are great bikes for what they are and there are so many out there parts and the aftermarket is very plentiful as you most likely know already.

What kind of riding do you plan on doing with it? 

Jerry in FL

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:23:51 pm »
Jerry,

Kansas has some great gravel roads, and some even better 100 year old dirt roads that are barely maintained.  So short answer, mostly gravel.

I have a few buddies that ride with these guys, and I have been itching to join them.
http://www.backroadstouring.org/kansas/

One has a KLR, and the other a DRZ-400 suzuki.  Being a larger fellow (6'3, 220lbs of greasy cheeseburgers) I wanted something a little bigger.  May most likey trailer, but the KLR gives me the option to ride there if I want to.

Trying to get the wife a Yamaha TTR225 that is for sale locally so that she could join me too.

AMA, COG, IBA

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:35 pm »
Wow the red bits look good on that one.  Most don't.  The one I just bought the guy had taken them all off and used black truck bed liner to repaint them.  It came out good I think.

Good find.  Mine is an 06 and I will not upset you with what I paid  :nananana:
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
  • COG#: 9694
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »
Yeah,you guys are right....the "Doo" is a myth.Which means the Thousands(yes,Thousands)of documented failures(mine included)are figments of some grand immagination.Gotcha.I particularly like the statement that a KLR is not happy unless you ride it hard.It is a machine people.......take care of it and it will take care of you.Pre 1996 balancer parts grenading is a myth also.That's why I have the 2008 replacements on my bench ready to go in my '92.In 22years of repairing cycles I saw more than a few (aw it'tl run with a new plug)attitudes cost enough to buy a new bike.But,I'm old and paranoid....whatta I know?(Soapbox is now in splinters). It's a myth until it happens to you.;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:08:56 pm by Perus »
Old Dude
AMA#2749878
CMA#99113
1991(Chunk),but,it runs!
1992 KLR650(The Fairy)

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »
I'm about to pick one of these up soon myself and there ain't no Mama....so I'm happy .  :beerchug:
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:24:21 pm »
Myths......film at 11.
Old Dude
AMA#2749878
CMA#99113
1991(Chunk),but,it runs!
1992 KLR650(The Fairy)

Offline Simba

• GASDOC
  • Moped
  • COG Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:16:51 pm »

Actually, do not even bring the bike home because chances are the bike is already screwed  The PO was being reckless riding the bike for all the thousands of miles without replacing the 'doo.  If he rode the bike without doing the 'doo, chances are he did not use the KLR650 forum approved oil (if he did oil changes at all).

With your luck chances are the 'doo will fail even if you look at the chain the wrong way.

Do not buy any KLR650 unless the 'doo was done as soon as the bike left the dealership.  You know that the high failure rate of the 'doo forced Kawasaki into an immediate recall.  Kawasaki almost went bankrupt as a result of the class action lawsuit.  The thousands of failures should give you cause to worry. 

All the KLR650 sold in countries where the 'doo was not fixed are no longer running.  All running KLR650's that you hear about running worldwide are really other bikes with fake KLR emblems.

If you are crazy enough to buy the bike, .......I don't even know what else to write.  You have been warned!

Simba

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »
Nice try.....dry...but,nice try.Since I worked for Mama Kaw for over 20 years I would say that they,like any company absolutely loves profits.If I have to explain the rest......oh well.By the way,anyone is welcome to go to the KlR forums and ask about EagleMike and how many "Doo's" he has done personally.The middle pix I posted shows barely a handful of his collection.This is ONE person Simba...just ONE!How many currently Kaw employed Techs are going to confirm a problem?Zero.They like their jobs.I no longer have any such restrictions.Now,you tell me sir....how many KLR's do you think have been made since 1984 (KL600)and how many techs have worked on said bikes in that time?Even rudimentary skill in math will get you some amazing numbers.If even 1% of all those bikes had a problem,how many would that be?And what would be the odds of ALL of them making it to ONE outstanding Tech?Your feeble attempt at sarcasm for what I can only ASSUME was to make a point does nothing but exasperate those wanting real facts.Not stories,Facts,with pix.I would much rather warn a potential KLR buyer of a fixable problem so HE or SHE doesn't end up in the weeds somewhere this side of east everywhere broken down and stuck.You obviously care more about feeling right.Congrats. :motonoises:
Also,I have just been informed that a dealership has ordered TWO "Doo's" from Mike and I'm quoting....."Hmmmmmmmmm"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:55:31 pm by Perus »
Old Dude
AMA#2749878
CMA#99113
1991(Chunk),but,it runs!
1992 KLR650(The Fairy)

Offline Simba

• GASDOC
  • Moped
  • COG Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 11:45:53 pm »

1. I have no problems with somebody replacing the 'doo with an upgrade.  My argument is against the urgency of it.
2. Can somebody list 3 suppliers of 'doo upgrake kit and tools other than Eagle Mike?

My point is enjoy your Dual Sport bike (does not even have to be a KLR650).  If you buy a KLR650, enjoy it and when you have down time or a Tech Day close to your area, think about the upgrade.

My 'Book of Religion' says only my Prophet is the Chosen One.  If you argue against me, I will refer you quickly to my 'Book of Religion'.  And I will also call you a pagan or an emotional imbecile.

Simba

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 12:38:45 am »
Already planned on the doo-hicky...  I can't own a bike and not take it apart!!!  Thanks for the input.
AMA, COG, IBA

Offline Mike

• Street Cruiser
  • Re-cycled ;)
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:51 am »

1. I have no problems with somebody replacing the 'doo with an upgrade.  My argument is against the urgency of it.
2. Can somebody list 3 suppliers of 'doo upgrake kit and tools other than Eagle Mike?

My point is enjoy your Dual Sport bike (does not even have to be a KLR650).  If you buy a KLR650, enjoy it and when you have down time or a Tech Day close to your area, think about the upgrade.

My 'Book of Religion' says only my Prophet is the Chosen One.  If you argue against me, I will refer you quickly to my 'Book of Religion'.  And I will also call you a pagan or an emotional imbecile.

Simba

Firstly,I can name 7 but,I won't because Mikes are far and beyond the best quality and he stands behind his stuff.....period!Second,my point entirely is that do you HAVE to do the "Doo"?No.Is YOUR KLR going to explode?Only the Prophet knows.Is it MY conviction to provide as much factual info as I can that can be backed up by many like-minded,experienced, and informed individuals and written documents?Absocultly!Did I EVER incinuate that YOU or anyone else was an imbecile?NO!I simply stated the obvious....you reacted emotionally and sarcastically and I called you on it.Have I ever done the same?.......NAH!.....not me........UGH!I have spent thousands of hours working on the machines that I really care about....motorcycles.I do not want ANYONE to get left out in the middle of east criminy because I didn't do my best to inform or help in any way I can.I have no ill will towards Simba or anyone else related to this topic.My so called Mechanical "Book of Religion"is experience,not skill,there is a difference.If you don't agree with ME,fine.It doesn't bother me in the least.I have seen in my 57 years a LOT of riders that had to learn the hard way....of which I am KING!That is how I KNOW this S$%^^ breaks.Maybe not yours,right now,or tomorrow but,at some point the other one drops.I am only trying to make that drop start at a lower height.And to quote the Prophet "If it were not so...I would have told you" ;D
Old Dude
AMA#2749878
CMA#99113
1991(Chunk),but,it runs!
1992 KLR650(The Fairy)