Author Topic: 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV Triple 2-stroke, Blue  (Read 6437 times)

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Push Mountain Road
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV Triple 2-stroke, Blue
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 08:31:22 pm »
My brother in law has a small stack of em.  Here's a few from his home garage.  It just ain't right.

That goes way beyond "Not Right"...  It's practically criminal...  I'd love another H2...

I had 3 triples : the 400, the 500, and the 750 - all at different times (I never managed to be able to afford more than one street bike at a time...)

My 750 was bored (don't remember how much) and had giant pea-shooter expansion chambers on it - I did high 11's in the quarter, and one of the pro's at the local track did mid 10's on my bike - I was twice his size, and more than a little scared of wheelie'ing the bike right over to do any faster than I did.  Just about flipped it a few times as it was...   

Oh, to be young and indestructible...

Jamie

Rev, I think the Greek word "pleonexia" applies here.............to your BIL's wanton lust for bikes.

Hmmm......a little exegesis and you might have a sermon.....although there would be some home life collateral damage I'm sure! :104:

gr33mAn
South Central Area Director

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 08:50:50 pm »
No body calls me chicken...

But that doesn't change the fact of it.   :rotflmao:

ClassVino, last time I was wandering through his shops, he had maybe 5 more H2's in boxes.  Most if not all of them were blue IIRC.  I told him that "I" was kinda wanting another H2 and he was supposed to figure me up a deal several times, but I still haven't heard the word.  Might need to call him again, but then I really can't afford one anyway... not and get my other junk going.  I know he hauled a whole mess of stuff to Barber last year (17 bikes my lil sis said).  Not sure what went or if it was anything other than junk.  He goes through lots of bikes in every condition.  Triples are a passion of his (and mine and everyone else I guess) so I'm pretty sure his intact bikes stayed home, but the project machines may have gone away.  He has had some terrible health problems the past couple of years.  He's doing better now, but lost 2/3 of his intestines. They just died inside him and had to be removed.  They've had a rough go.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Tim

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11237
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »
ouch, thats a rough deal for sure. my mom went thru this as well and actually died twice. they brought her back... she wishes they hadn't. she spent 4 months in hospital and 3 months in icu! now she has a ostomy bag (for 2nd time).

it's crazy that stuff just decides to stop working and die off, then get infected!!

anyway... my ol h2 was bored several times (pesky wrist pin clips) and nearly impossible to keep front wheel on ground till we stretched swingarm 8". then would roast rear tire. added a wider 16" wheel and hit a good combo. nothing could touch it in 1/4. that was 1982 or 83. i had great fun on that bike till i seized crank.  >:(

i hope your bro in laws health continues to improve. mom is back home but still fighting problems. and now... depression is one of em.
There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 05:03:20 pm »
No body calls me chicken...

But that doesn't change the fact of it.   :rotflmao:

ClassVino, last time I was wandering through his shops, he had maybe 5 more H2's in boxes.  Most if not all of them were blue IIRC.  I told him that "I" was kinda wanting another H2 and he was supposed to figure me up a deal several times, but I still haven't heard the word.  Might need to call him again, but then I really can't afford one anyway... not and get my other junk going.  I know he hauled a whole mess of stuff to Barber last year (17 bikes my lil sis said).  Not sure what went or if it was anything other than junk.  He goes through lots of bikes in every condition.  Triples are a passion of his (and mine and everyone else I guess) so I'm pretty sure his intact bikes stayed home, but the project machines may have gone away.  He has had some terrible health problems the past couple of years.  He's doing better now, but lost 2/3 of his intestines. They just died inside him and had to be removed.  They've had a rough go.

Why doesn't he just let you ride whatever you want? I hope those bikes do not just sit there. Sad to think they never get out to breath. Kind of like the selfish Dad that has an old Muscle Car in the garage that only he can drive. And his son tells everyone about it but never gets a chance to drive it. One of the greatest days of my life was when I threw the keys to my KZ900 to my Son and told him to have fun. My friends ride it as well.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Good Times Roller

• Tricycle
  • Let the good times roll!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 05:42:50 pm »
There is a gorgeous 1972 H2 Mach IV for sale on eBay. About 1 day left, and the bidding is to $7,600 about, which these days is frankly not too much for the machine.

I talked to the owner, he has even found and replaced the front fender bolts with original bolts, nuts, and washers, and found the black plastic knobs that hold the two side covers (one is the 2-stroke oil tank). So other than the expansion chamber in place of stock 4 muffler configuration and the larger 34mm Mikuni carbs, she is pretty bone stock. If it were mine I'd leave it as it, the 4 muffler expansion chamber pipe is awesome.

I had one back when they were brand new. Gawd I wish I had kept it!

JR, you mean 3 mufflers, no? Just the sound of the H2 and H1 is practically reason to have one, not to mention the thrill of the ride.  Mechanical music! My H1 didn't have chambers on it (starving student), but it still went like heck.  Fortunately it had a disc brake retrofitted at the front.  I remember having it wound tight in 5th on a straight section of Topanga Canyon Bl. above L.A. riding with a buddy and his H1, trying to see whose was "better".  Kawi actually toned down the power on these with porting changes for the later models.

Wiki quote: In 1972, the 750 cc Kawasaki H2 Mach IV was introduced and was essentially a scaled-up version of the H1 500. A stock H2 was rated at 12.0 seconds for the quarter mile (402 m). Updated with more power and better front disc brakes, the H2 became the undisputed king of the streets, even beating legendary muscle cars of the era such as the Plymouth Hemi Cuda. It was notoriously dangerous, being prone to up-and-over wheelies and speed wobbles. The dangerous handling characteristics arising from its mediocre frame design caused it to be nicknamed the "Widowmaker" by motorcycle enthusiasts of the 1970s.
Current rides:

2012 ZG1400 - Candy Arabian Red; 1994 Yamaha YZ250 2-stroke

Previous:

1970 Kawasaki H1 500 (front tire really lasts - always in the air), 1978 Suzuki RM400, 1977 Yamaha YZ125, 1976 Kawasaki KE100

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donohue

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 07:51:16 am »

A stock H2 was rated at 12.0 seconds for the quarter mile (402 m).
A Z1 was rated the same. According to my recollection, My stock 74 Z1 was never out ran in a standing start 1/4 mile by a stock H2. Course I was about a buck fifty and not so bright. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 12:37:59 am »
I have a 75 H1 I bought from a guy at work.  Drove it home. It is mostly stock but needs some work. Trying to decide if I want to work on it or sell it.

Need some cash to help you with your decision :)
Off we go into the great unknown.
Home is where we are today
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »
I have a 75 H1 I bought from a guy at work.  Drove it home. It is mostly stock but needs some work. Trying to decide if I want to work on it or sell it.

If you do not need the money I would sit on it. They go up every year. Lets see some pics! And what did you pay for the running H2?
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Cold Streak

• Cold Streak
  • Moped
  • 952-215-2264
  • COG#: 8811
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:28 pm »
$500.

I'll be keeping it.  ;D

I'm trying sell my house so it would be one less thing to move is my only reason to sell it right now. I'll try to get some pictures but it's out back and there is a lot of snow in the way.

COG #8811
14 Kawi KLR650 NE
08 Kawi Concours
75 Kawi H1

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:38 pm »
I think that I recall: Turbo Max was trying to give away a H1 in another discussion.
I'll see if I can find the discussion.
He had a video of it running. Not running,,, real good, but running!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 00 and 86 Connie's

To contribute to "OtP", DO IT NOW!!
It's EZ: Go to the top of the Forum and follow the steps.