Author Topic: 1981 Suzuki GS650 GT question  (Read 3754 times)

Offline potlikker

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6359
  • Membership Level: Active
1981 Suzuki GS650 GT question
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:32:12 pm »
Normally I can find information I need online, but I need this question answered: Does this bike have electronic ignition, or points and condenser?  Found a good deal on one that would be a "Project bike"
Any help appreciated!

Manufacturer - Make - Model - Year: Suzuki GS 650 GT 1981
Motorcycle Style: Standard

ENGINE SPECS

Engine Type: 673 cc, 4 Stroke - Air Cooled - Inline Four
Engine Bore and Stroke: 62 mm x 55.8 mm
Valves 2 valves/cylinder
Claimed Horsepower: 65 hp (48.5 kW) @ 9000 rpm
Maximum Torque: 53.8 Nm (39.6 ft. lbs) @ 8000 rpm

Transmission type: 5 speed
Final Drive: Shaft

MISCELLANEOUS SPECS

Tire - Front: 3.00-21
Tire - Rear: 4.25-17
Brakes - Front: dual disc with 2-piston calipers
Brakes - Rear: single disc with 1-piston calipers

DIMENSIONS

Fuel Capacity: 16 l (4.2 Gal)
Dry Weight (without fluids): 215 kg (474 pounds)
Potlikker (aka 305940)  COG # 6359 C.D.A. #0285  Covington, Georgia USA    2011 C-14 2008 Suzuki M-50 1981 Suzuki GS650 www.facebook.com/potlikker454    "I Ride Motorcycles, Not Bandwagons"

Offline Charliedog

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 1981 Suzuki GS650 GT question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 12:01:37 am »
Your post brought back pleasant memories.  I had a GS650G and loved it.  It was comfortable, dependable, and fast enough for me-at the time.  I have been looking at on-line parts diagrams for the bike and do not see any reference to points.  I see what's called a signal generator, but it's not available as a replacement part.  I would suggest contacting a Suzuki dealer's parts department, in the good old days there would be micro-fiche to look at.

I don't recall a 650GT.  Unless the T meant model year 1981.  I had a G-shaft drive, standard.  There was also a GL-shaft drive, high bars, smaller gas tank, stepped seat, cruiser.  And an E model, chain drive, sportier standard.

Good luck with your project.

Larry  aka  CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:40 pm »
Looks like old time electrlnic ignition to me, 2 pickups,

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3fd3af8700230d8b4d9b6/signal-generator

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:11 pm »
GS650G wasn't produced in 1980 (that would be a GS650GT)...GS650GX is a 1981...if I remember correctly...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:21:54 pm »
I don't have any idea where this "1980" stuff is coming from... o/p stated model year...
And all the engines, no matter what suffix letters, had the same configuration for ignition...

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 01:40:10 am »
I don't have any idea where this "1980" stuff is coming from... o/p stated model year...
And all the engines, no matter what suffix letters, had the same configuration for ignition...

The OP stated it was a GS650GT...so...let's start with that..."GS" is Suzuki's nomenclature for a four-stroke air cooled engine..."650" is the displacement..."G" means shaft drive...and, "T" indicates a 1980 model...that's DOT's code...not mine...

In a nutshell...the OP was wrong stating it is a GS650GT...it is a GS650GX...which is a 1981 model.

I can't really say how many times I've had to play 20 Questions with customers at a shop to decipher what it is that they really are working on...

Oh, and BTW...you linked to a GS650E...which is a chain drive model...and DOES use different ignition components than the shaft drive versions...

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:01:30 am by CRocker »

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 03:17:36 am »

Oh, and BTW...you linked to a GS650E...which is a chain drive model...and DOES use different ignition components than the shaft drive versions...

whodda thunk that?
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 06:25:11 am »

The OP stated it was a GS650GT...so...let's start with that..."GS" is Suzuki's nomenclature for a four-stroke air cooled engine..."650" is the displacement..."G" means shaft drive...and, "T" indicates a 1980 model...that's DOT's code...not mine...

In a nutshell...the OP was wrong stating it is a GS650GT...it is a GS650GX...which is a 1981 model.

I can't really say how many times I've had to play 20 Questions with customers at a shop to decipher what it is that they really are working on...

Well excuuuuuse me.....
Didn't mean to offend you....
I simply looked at a single source, and all of the 650 models they showed for 1981
 And made my post accodingly...
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/c/suzuki_motorcycle_1981/parts

I'm not seeing a difference in components I.e. points vs pickups on any of those models...
Were.you just taking a stab to attempt to make me look like a fool?
Nice try

So, was I wrong in saying it was an electronic ignition....? Or does it use points/breaker technology...
Pretty much moot.... as he asked a question...
I gave an answer...... was I incorrect.
Well, points or no points.....?

:-[ ::) ::) :truce: :-X

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:28:31 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 01:10:39 am »

Well excuuuuuse me.....
I simply looked at a single source, and all of the 650 models they showed for 1981

I'm not seeing a difference in components I.e. points vs pickups on any of those models...
Nice try

So, was I wrong in saying it was an electronic ignition....? Or does it use points/breaker technology...

Thanks.
MOB. What goes around comes around. Take a look at some of your posts. :-[
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 01:23:23 am »

Sorry Brad, but you lost this round of 20 questions. See this link...
http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS650.shtml

The '81 GT shaft drive was based on the base model 650E chain drive.

BTW, DOT's code is not always correct.  ::)
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 03:40:07 am »

Sorry Brad, but you lost this round of 20 questions. See this link...
http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS650.shtml

The '81 GT shaft drive was based on the base model 650E chain drive.

BTW, DOT's code is not always correct.  ::)

JP...I stand by my information...see this link...http://thegsresources.com/modelinfo.php

Or...you could go to nadaguides.com and find a GS650GT...

Yes, it is...in this case...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:55:02 am by CRocker »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 06:12:37 am »

Well excuuuuuse me.....

Nice try

Thanks.
MOB. What goes around comes around. Take a look at some of your posts. :-[

Please explain your comment.

Offline potlikker

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 11:04:21 am »
Thanks for the answers. Looks like I started something here! The bike is an early version of electronic ignition. If I buy the bike, will post pictures! :)
Potlikker (aka 305940)  COG # 6359 C.D.A. #0285  Covington, Georgia USA    2011 C-14 2008 Suzuki M-50 1981 Suzuki GS650 www.facebook.com/potlikker454    "I Ride Motorcycles, Not Bandwagons"

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 03:21:19 pm »
Brad - looking at that info you provided, it appears that the 'X' may have different meanings, depending on whether it is the marketing designation or the service/specifications designation. Sort of like the ZG1000 A1, where the ZG part is the model designation and the A1 is the model year - but the model year is never used in the marketing, or for that matter the legal, designation for the bike.

Looking at the GS650GT, all of them had just a 'G' on the side panel, but what did the marketing and registration info call it? Why is it designated as a 'GT'? To distinguish it from the 'GL' and 'GM' models.

I think the 'T' that you refer to and that is shown in parenthesis at the top of the chart is what is in the VIN, not the model marketing info. Hey Potlicker - can you post a pic of the reg paperwork showing the model? Black out private info, of course.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 03:31:51 pm »
Actually...thinking more about it...those weren't DOT identifiers...DOT was still struggling with achieving some consistency at that time...they are Suzuki year model designators..."T" is for 1980 models..."X" is for 1981 models...and, those letters do show up in the VIN...I think...to indicate the year model of the bike...

In the example you referred to the ZG1000A1...and, said that "A1" was the model year...what the "A1" refers to is the number of years kawasaki produced that model...with "A1" signifying the first year for the "A" model...so, my 2003 is a ZG1000 A18...to indicate the 18th year of production of that particular model...

I know that it is easy to believe what you read on the internet...but, I'll stick with my 20 years of experience looking up parts for Suzukis in shops...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:05:18 pm by CRocker »

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 04:18:38 pm »
I'll ask again - as the Suzuki guy ordering parts, how did you differentiate between models when the final digit in the model designation was the year, as you contend? eg. GL vs GM vs GT?

If that final digit is the year, then you wouldn't know what model you had. You need to look at that chart again, I think you are reading it wrong. Where are the 650GX, GF, GD models? 

And as someone who was shopping for bikes back in '81 through '83, I don't recall any 650GX model.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 04:55:44 pm »
I'll ask again - as the Suzuki guy ordering parts, how did you differentiate between models when the final digit in the model designation was the year, as you contend? eg. GL vs GM vs GT?

If that final digit is the year, then you wouldn't know what model you had. You need to look at that chart again, I think you are reading it wrong. Where are the 650GX, GF, GD models? 

And as someone who was shopping for bikes back in '81 through '83, I don't recall any 650GX model.

JP...your model designations are incomplete..."GL" signifies that the bike is a shaft drive, cruiser style bike (Suzuki called them "Low Slingers")...there would need to be another letter at the end to designate the year..."Z" for instance, for a 1982 model...

The GS650GX and GD are on that chart...the GX is a 1981 model...a GZ would be an '82 model...and, a GD would be an '83 model...there is no GF model because Suzuki didn't produce the bike in that year ('85)...you have to add the year designator to the model designation for the year model...don't think I ever had to look up parts for the GS650GMD Katana...which was only produced in 1983...just kind of an interesting bike...

Again, if you go to the kbb.com...or...nadaguides.com...you can see that there was no GS650GT made...look at both 1980 and 1981 model years...all you'll find there is the GS650GX model...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:56:45 pm by CRocker »

Offline potlikker

• Training Wheels
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 05:46:53 pm »
Brad - looking at that info you provided, it appears that the 'X' may have different meanings, depending on whether it is the marketing designation or the service/specifications designation. Sort of like the ZG1000 A1, where the ZG part is the model designation and the A1 is the model year - but the model year is never used in the marketing, or for that matter the legal, designation for the bike.

Looking at the GS650GT, all of them had just a 'G' on the side panel, but what did the marketing and registration info call it? Why is it designated as a 'GT'? To distinguish it from the 'GL' and 'GM' models.

I think the 'T' that you refer to and that is shown in parenthesis at the top of the chart is what is in the VIN, not the model marketing info. Hey Potlicker - can you post a pic of the reg paperwork showing the model? Black out private info, of course.
I dont have the paperwork yet, wont see the bike until tomorrow. The information I originally posted came from another site and probably WAS a different model. The bike I am looking at is the GS650-G or the mid level model for that year. Not the chain-drive one, nor the Cruiser-looking one, but the UJM model. Have seen picturesw of the actual machine that have been texted to me.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 06:32:38 pm »
Potlikker,

Don't worry...it's all good with everybody here...would love to see what the paperwork says...

Offline potlikker

• Training Wheels
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 07:24:52 pm »
Potlikker,

Don't worry...it's all good with everybody here...would love to see what the paperwork says...
Me too! It's My Wife's Boss selling it.

Offline potlikker

• Training Wheels
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 11:38:15 pm »
Potlikker,

Got the bike. Officially, in the eyes of the DMV it is a 1981 GS650GX, and that is also the Suzuki official model designation. The GS650G is the NAME of that model, like the Madura was the NAME of the GV1400
Off to BikeBandit.com I go.......

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 11:53:11 pm »
Congrats!

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 12:37:26 am »
Well color me edjumumcated.  ;D

Offline potlikker

• Training Wheels
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 01:00:03 am »
The wrong air filter had been installed by the P.O.  The foam rubber that was to seal it to the airbox was broken int chunks due to age. Some of it has been sucked into the intake for sure. Sea Foam overdose cured the stuck floats, but its carb cleaning time! Motor runs strong though. Can build these bikes just off Ebay!  my new winter project! :beerchug: