Author Topic: 1983 GL650 Silverwing Interstate Project Pics  (Read 2315 times)

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11206
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 1983 GL650 Silverwing Interstate Project Pics
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 12:28:58 pm »
No, other than my CTX having the factory faring and tall windshield my only option so far is an automatic chain oilier.  I will eventually get a center-stand but that's about as far as I plan to go. I will bungee a bag behind me for an overnight trip and dig out my tour master tank bag.  I am renting a cabin this time at the spider ride with another coger from my area so that should be all I need for supplies. Oh the 2 times I loaded up the old C10 with the suitcases full, tank bag, bunged behind me the tent and sleeping bag.I could hardly get on and off the bike. But the C10 didn't care it just said let's go ride!

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 07:17:50 pm »
I finally got some mufflers.
I can actually start it now without waking the dead!

I have a CX500 on my project list and would like to know what mufflers you picked and if there were any issues installing them.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 08:05:06 pm »
They came off of an 883 I believe.  I'd have to ask the guy I got them from about the year.  The guy I bought some armor from in Bloomington, IN had them.  Told him I'd give him $40 for them.  He texted after I got home and said that he would bring them to me for $50.  When he got here, they were the ones that had the crossover tube coming out the side of them.  I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't want them, so I rtv'd some beer can aluminum into those tubes to seal them off and called it good.  I think you want probably older 883 or dynaglyde mufflers.  All I had to do was pull the bushing from the H box, slide them in and tighten the clamps.  There is a guy on the CX forum that does carbs and other things for the CX.  He has tubes made up to replace the H box if that is desired.  He also does a non CV carb setup that adds some grunt.  Love to have them, but they are like $550 or something like that.
If I had a CX, I'd go for one of the CX reproduction ones.  I would have went that way but it sounded like 500 cans might not work out on the 650.  You might also look at Triumph Thruxton mufflers.  At some point those went to stainless steel. 

Offline Bushy

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 11:59:19 pm »
Great job on the rebuild. 15 years ago I had a CX500 custom. Which the now wife and I used to ride all over the place. I traded up to a CX650E which I loved but the wife hated the looks of. Sold it when I moved up north. Bought a GL 650 2 years ago to get back into biking.
Ended up needing a lot of work. So I sold it to a gent who was going to cafe racer it.
I still have the fairing, trunk with the extension (to use rear seat and trunk at same time) saddlebags and lower fairings.
Message me if you need any parts.
They were a great bike, but I do love my c10 because it’s never broken.
John
2002 C10
Ontario, Canada

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 11:55:54 am »
Thanks for the muffler info!  One more questions

Were the Harley mufflers the right size to fit the OEM CX header receivers with stock exhaust gaskets?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 11:57:27 am »
Nope.  The gaskets had to be removed.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »
What did you use to seal the connections?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2018, 10:59:22 am »
I haven't decided that yet.  I didn't want to make a quick decision that I may regret later when I try to take them off.  Here's some stuff that sounds great.....all but the price that is. :-\
https://www.amazon.com/DEI-090400-Exhaust-Eliminator/dp/B006J8HY88

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2018, 12:45:23 pm »
I went out to the garage and looked at the muffler joint again.  They have a pretty snug fit. Since I have a big can of never-seez on the shelf that says extreme heat on it, that's what I"m going to try.  I may run a really small bead of high temp rtv on the exposed connection.  I really want to be able to get these off when desired.