Author Topic: 2017 Ninja 1000  (Read 3212 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
2017 Ninja 1000
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:00:36 pm »
I'm currently in investigation stage for adding another toy to the garage, checking out the new 2017 model of the Ninja 1000...

Anyone on here have one and care to comment?

Or anyone just want to chime in and talk about the goods or bads?

:??:    :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m8qE29drwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6RHoHCI44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBnEtMdL0mI

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 2017 Ninja 1000
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:57:08 pm »
The info I've read is mostly positive.  Motorcyclist had one as a long term test.  They didn't change alot as I recall.  They did swap sprockets to change the gearing.  Being able to change gearing to suit me would be the big plus of the chain drive setup.  I think I'd go for Versys 1000 instead.....but if the ergos work for you on the ninja, I'd say go for it.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 06:54:32 pm »
They did some changes, LED lights, bodywork, seat, windscreen, and some other stuff it sounds like.  :??:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRMqQqQQFwQ

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:45 pm »
I wasn't referring to what kawasaki did but what motorcyclist did with it while they had it long term.  Guess I could have worded that better. :-[

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:14:12 am »
I wasn't referring to what kawasaki did but what motorcyclist did with it while they had it long term.  Guess I could have worded that better. :-[

Doh!  :-[

Sorry Bud, yes I did misread your post.  :truce:

Hope all is well my friend, long time no talk!  :beerchug:

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:47:04 am »
Jay,
If you're looking for a fast bike that handles good... just to ride short jaunts on, like around town, these are cool.

Givi makes some hardbags seats, screens...all kinds of farkles can be added to tour.

While they're great bikes, as cheap as C14's are now, I'd still rather have a Connie...
(unless it was gonna be an additional bike added to a stable that already had a C14...)

Just depends on what you're looking for? For a quick, fun, hooligan-type bike, they rock!

If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd add one with my C14. Good bikes!  :great:
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:54:11 am »
Jay, I rode one that Kawasaki took to Cortez two years ago. It was a blast! It had right now power in any gear at almost any speed. The Versys 1000? Not so much. Kawasaki really neutered the great Ninja 1000 engine prior to putting it into the Versys.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 05:40:44 am »
Aprilia Tuono RSV4 or BMW S1000R (not RR)

Just sayin;-)

:beerchug:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:17 am »
Multiple toys are great! Would this next one be mission driven? Say run around town or up to the hills without the missus? I wonder about the z900, the bike Kawi is introducing to replace their 800. Slightly lighter but different ergos. Insurance might be less on a non liter bike

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 09:24:30 am »
The info I've read is mostly positive.  Motorcyclist had one as a long term test.  They didn't change alot as I recall.  They did swap sprockets to change the gearing.  Being able to change gearing to suit me would be the big plus of the chain drive setup.  I think I'd go for Versys 1000 instead.....but if the ergos work for you on the ninja, I'd say go for it.

They had a long term test of the 2015 model. It's been updated for 2017... (That said they haven't touched engine/suspension, so that much should be the same.) It is a different bike, though.

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:06:23 am »
This taken from rider magazine.

"The few complaints we can muster are only minor, showing up on extended highway stints. We’d like more seat padding (easily fixed), a slightly taller windscreen to keep bugs off our face shield, and a cruise control for more relaxing long-range use. Otherwise, the 2017 Ninja 1000 is simply as good as it gets for a no-fooling sportbike with comfortable ergonomics, long legs and an affordable price tag."

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:00:27 pm »
Was doing more looking at reviews and found this.  http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2017-kawasaki-ninja-1000-abs-review-first-ride.html

What caught my eye was the comments below the review.  The biggest complaint is what insurance companies are charging to insure the bike. Here's an example.

Born to Ride • a month ago
You didn't address the biggest problem with the bike in the "sighs" section-- the fact that insurance companies believe that it is more dangerous than a turbo Hayabusa. I can insure a Superduke and a Tuono 1100 simultaneously for less per year than the premium they charge for one of these bikes(Yes I DID look that up...). I was seconds away from signing on the dotted line for a then 2 year old ninja 1000, but then in a moment of uncharacteristic foresight, I decided to call the insurance company. 2500$ a year for full coverage. Called 2 more insurance companies and the price was within 50$ for all three quotes. Needless to say, I did not buy a ninja 1000 on that day, and that's a terrible shame because it is a wonderful bike with incredible potential with a little bit of work and investment.

Seems like a phone call to your insurance agent might be in order.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 12:24:12 pm »
Thanks guys for the comments, keep em coming.  :great:

Yes, this would be an addition, not a replacement, I'm wanting to get another sport bike to add to the mix, I've been looking at all sorts of stuff over the past months, everything from late 90's VFR's and 929/954RR's, VFR1200's, to these Ninja 1000's and everything in between...

I really want something that is fuel injected, full fairing, but has better ergo's than a true race/track bike, and ideally in the sub $10k range for new or mint used. The pre-2017 Ninja 1000's caught my eye at the price point ($6k-$8k) and I've been trolling those already, but in reading the upgrades and feedback for the 2017 model I'm now considering an extra couple grand might be worth it long term and just buy a new one...

:??:

Thanks for the heads up on the insurance, will indeed check that out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:29:10 pm by ZG »

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 12:27:20 pm »
Aprilia Tuono RSV4 or BMW S1000R (not RR)

Just sayin;-)

:beerchug:

I would like to stick with Japanese bikes if possible, gas/tires/ride  :great:, maintenance and parts cost on the 1290SA were an eye opener for me  :o,  not looking to do that again if possible.  :truce:

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 12:40:42 am »
Was doing more looking at reviews and found this.  http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2017-kawasaki-ninja-1000-abs-review-first-ride.html

What caught my eye was the comments below the review.  The biggest complaint is what insurance companies are charging to insure the bike. Here's an example.

Born to Ride • a month ago
You didn't address the biggest problem with the bike in the "sighs" section-- the fact that insurance companies believe that it is more dangerous than a turbo Hayabusa. I can insure a Superduke and a Tuono 1100 simultaneously for less per year than the premium they charge for one of these bikes(Yes I DID look that up...). I was seconds away from signing on the dotted line for a then 2 year old ninja 1000, but then in a moment of uncharacteristic foresight, I decided to call the insurance company. 2500$ a year for full coverage. Called 2 more insurance companies and the price was within 50$ for all three quotes. Needless to say, I did not buy a ninja 1000 on that day, and that's a terrible shame because it is a wonderful bike with incredible potential with a little bit of work and investment.

Seems like a phone call to your insurance agent might be in order.

Shame he didn't look up State Farm or Nationwide. A friend uses State Farm @ $65/month for a 2014, and Kawi has personally talked to Nationwide about their rates. They now offer 'proper' rates. The N1K forums are full of posts like that comment. All of whom get shut down within a few replies by recommended insurance agencies. (Not that this should be how you should have to do things. Just saying. It IS fixable with more effort than looking at 2 other measly sites.)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Scooter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 04:34:34 am »
The journey to find my next motorbike took me through several ADV and ST bikes. Ninja1000/Versys 1000LT drew my attention mainly because of good price point and relatively modest list of gizmos. Of those two I'd pick Versys because it reminded me of V-strom I had. Ninja is more "sport" oriented so expect to have more lean angle and more strain on wrists/neck/shoulders. But if you game is "sport" touring then Versys is the best.
Versys had far less perceived buzz than Ninja, perhaps fuel mapping is different for Versys than Ninja and/or rubber  engine mounts.  Another area was seat height. If someone vertically challenged, then flat footing on Versys becomes a challenge. Ninja has better seat-footpeg-handlebar triangle for shorter riders. However, Versys offers more generous legroom with less knee/hip angle than Ninja.
Although they use the same engine - much like ZX14 and C14 - they couldn't be more different.
I cannot comment on insurance situation, due to WA state has no compulsory insurance requirements. Although I have insured my bike, it is part of umbrella coverage. 

Take my observations with a grain of salt.

Cheers...

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 12:43:40 pm »
Thanks for the comments and info folks, please keep em coming...  :popcorn:

I took a leftover 2015 model for a rip yesterday, she definitely gets up and goes.  :motonoises:

I'm just blown away at how low the prices are on these, this one is new and includes the side cases for $9k.

My local shop is bringing in a 2017 model for me to check out, no dealers around me have any, so I guess we'll see how this all works out...   >:D

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 01:00:18 pm »
What does that 2015 cost to insure?

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 01:44:33 pm »
My local shop is bringing in a 2017 model for me to check out, no dealers around me have any, so I guess we'll see how this all works out...   >:D
Let me know when you are heading to Motorsports for a test ride. I'd like to take'r for a rip as well. :motonoises:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 03:27:01 pm »
Thanks for the comments and info folks, please keep em coming...  :popcorn:

I took a leftover 2015 model for a rip yesterday, she definitely gets up and goes.  :motonoises:

I'm just blown away at how low the prices are on these, this one is new and includes the side cases for $9k.

They also had 2 new leftover 2016's in the red color combo, I think if I go with a new leftover I'd be leaning towards the red, it's a really nice color in person in the sun.

What's do you guys think? Red or Green??  :??:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 03:29:00 pm »
What does that 2015 cost to insure?

Not cheap, but I guess doable...  :??:

I currently pay just under $600/year for full coverage on both the Wing and KTM, with this Ninja 1000 added it goes to just under $1200/year, so about $50 additional per month for adding it to the mix.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 03:31:48 pm »

Let me know when you are heading to Motorsports for a test ride. I'd like to take'r for a rip as well. :motonoises:

Will do, but I don't think they'll let folks ride the 2017, it won't be PDI'd yet, but if I buy it yes indeed you can ride it any time you want!   :motonoises:  :beerchug:

They said it should be here in about 2 weeks, the suspense is killing me!  >:(  >:D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:37:08 pm by ZG »

Offline DarenLine

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 03:38:25 pm »
I had a 2014 Blue with saddle bags, also added passenger back support and rear rack, I pretty much loved everything about it except the insurance cost! Learned that anything with ninja logo means more $$$$ for insurance companies. If I had to keep one bike that would be my choice, but rather have more specialization in my fleet :-) but boy I already missed it. I'll try to post some pictures.

Offline Speedy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 07:11:50 pm »
I rode with a guy earlier this month that had traded for a new one.  He really liked it, but he also said there is a roughness to the engine between 4k and 5k.  I have done no research on it, but he said it was a common known issue with the bike and there was no fix for it.  He didn't think it was a threat to longevity, but he did find it annoying at times....
2012 Connie - Black is Beautiful! - Current (EVO Flashed)
2015 FZ09 - Matte Grey - Current
2001 CBR 929 RR - Sold
1995 CBR 600 F3 - Sold
1984 VF 700 F - Sold

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 07:34:06 pm »
I rode with a guy earlier this month that had traded for a new one.  He really liked it, but he also said there is a roughness to the engine between 4k and 5k.  I have done no research on it, but he said it was a common known issue with the bike and there was no fix for it.  He didn't think it was a threat to longevity, but he did find it annoying at times....

I know what you mean about roughness at certain rpm's being annoying.  My 82 GS1100GK has a spot like that.....and yes I try to avoid it whenever possible.....and yes sometimes I go too fast in an effort to avoid that roughness.  That's one of my complaints about that bike.

It's a shame about the insurance rate.  Insure a wing and a ktm for the price of a ninja 1000.  There must be too many youngins crashing them so the insurance is high......dammit. >:( >:(