Author Topic: 2018 Wing  (Read 3585 times)

Offline MotoCommuter

• SE AAD GA
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7115
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: 2018 Wing
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 01:02:52 pm »
Over all, I think they did a good job. As for tip over bars, there appears to be some hard points below the engine case and just below the front of the saddle bags.

Couple issues I see is the reduction in storage space and fuel capacity. It's a touring bike, can never have enough.

Also, they have stuck with the 16" rear and 18" front, only a few tire manufactures make the current size tire.

As far as appealing to the current owners, good luck. The majority of the comments on the GW forums are in favor of not changing anything, why fix it if it is not broke type mentality. I think Honda is looking towards the new GW riders that may have been on the fence.
Kurt Brown - SE/AAD/GA
Barber Vintage Festival - Oct 5 - 8
Concours Carving The Cumberland - Apr 26-29, 2018

Offline WingCon

• My other motorcycle is (make that was) an Airbus A320.
  • Scooter
    • Motorcycle trip round trip Tacoma, WA to Prudhoe Bay, AK
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9825
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 03:03:24 pm »
Cornering ABS? What for?
Can you even corner GL1800?  :rotflmao:

You should rephrase your statement more clearly.  Better translated it would read:  "I've never driven an 1800 Wing".  Your reaction will be the same as everyone who never has, and then rides one in the twisties.  They handle beautifully.  And I'm sure the new one is even more spectacular regarding the cornering arena.  I owned a C14 for six years, and I track a gsxr6 so I have good "other bike" benchmarks. 

Cornering ABS is a new technology that releases just enough braking force when tipped over to keep the front wheel from even starting to lose traction.  As opposed to waiting for it to start losing traction.  The reason this is important is for the same reason I see  the sides of the racetrack littered with bikes every track day I attend.  It's called "tuck", where the bottom of the front wheel flips out away from the turn 'cause there's just too much force on the contact patch to maintain traction. 

The "argument" against this will be the same as the original anti-ABS arguments I'm sure.  "I'm good enough to handle these events on my own, I don't need this newfangled technology."  Fair enough, but anything that keeps me safer is a good thing in my book. 
http://alaskaprudhoebaymotorcycletrip.wordpress.com/

2003 Honda Goldwing 1800
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray

Offline WingCon

• Scooter
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 03:49:41 pm »
Good point on the weight of the tipover bars.  How much of the 80 pound reduction does that account for?  A couple of my issues are fixable with the aftermarket or OEM farkles I'm sure will start hitting the interweb in the spring. Seats and crash guards.  An improved engine no.  I don't care how proud the engineers are about engine size and an 8 pound diet and two more valves.  Ya I know, more forward seating position by 3/4".  (More due to the front suspension, not the engine.)

Storage.  That'll be a tough one.  Interesting to see what anyone comes up with.  Bigger saddlebags and trunk would cost really big bucks and add lots of weight.  Luggage rack-  I already use one so that's a zero sum addition.  I suppose if I ever do end up getting the bike It'll be easy enough just to carry soft bags into the hotel like we always do.  It would be nice to pop it off for day rides though.

I knew something was missing; thanks Wingcon. No tip over bars!  :-[ There's a weight reduction. And a serious detriment for owning a $25k bike. Removable trunk not really valuable. Can you imagine carrying that into a motel room? But that could account for an increase in fuel mileage. A top case decreases my mileage by 5 MPG.  Another accessory to buy if you go GW without the touring package. And if the chrome rack for the trunk is $350, what would the removable trunk cost?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:53:09 pm by WingCon »

2003 Honda Goldwing 1800
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600

Offline WingCon

• Scooter
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 04:03:44 pm »
Over all, I think they did a good job. As for tip over bars, there appears to be some hard points below the engine case and just below the front of the saddle bags.

Ya, saw those.  Wonder if they'll stop the bike at 45 degrees with no damage like my current Wing?  Dunno. 

2003 Honda Goldwing 1800
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Moped
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »
WingCon, thanks for your explanation. However, keep your judgement regarding other people to yourself. Thank you very much.
My comment was aimed at people who understand innocuous sarcasm.

Cheers...

Offline MrPepsi

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8402
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 08:18:22 pm »
Remember everyone, this is just text. You can't accurately read emotion and intent in text.
We are all trying to be friends here who love the same hobby.
Brent Johnson 
Why MrPepsi? I collect and consume Pepsi!
2009 C-14 "Razzi"
2013 SFO to PDX Loop Ride Trip Report

Offline WingCon

• Scooter
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 09:00:11 pm »
WingCon, thanks for your explanation. However, keep your judgement regarding other people to yourself. Thank you very much.
My comment was aimed at people who understand innocuous sarcasm.

Cheers...

Huh?

2003 Honda Goldwing 1800
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600

Online Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:18 am »

Ya, saw those.  Wonder if they'll stop the bike at 45 degrees with no damage like my current Wing?  Dunno. 

I looked closely at the introductory video and the "hard points" appear to be Top Block imitation sliders. The rear set is mounted on the tail pipe assembly, the front are on the engine cases. Really question their effectiveness.  But I really like the look and other improvements of the new Wing.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2017, 11:51:12 am »
Oh my, here's an awesome link with lotso great pics of the colors and configs, I'm really diggin the grey with the chrome bits blacked out. 

>:D

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2018-honda-gold-wing-photos/
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:22 pm »
Storage.  That'll be a tough one.  Interesting to see what anyone comes up with. 

If not on a trip the storage capacity will suffice for day rides and commutes, for longer trips just hook up the Unigo and more than double the capacity.  :great: :great:

Our current Unigo will match nicely the new grey color scheme.  :)

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 12:31:20 pm »
Yeah but a Uni-Go is pretty pricey plus you'll have to add the trailer hitch. My 2012 GL 1800 will easily haul clothing for two for an extended (2-3 weeks).

Many, if not most, of these "improvements" (particularly the infotainment stuff) could have been phased in over the past decade (the GL1800 was introduced in 2001).  The suspension upgrade addresses a long known issue and GWRRA members have long wondered why the windscreen wasn't electric. I'm unimpressed with the "sound."  I really like that my bike is almost inaudible from 80' away.

I guess the handwriting was on the wall when Honda introduced the F6B; a stripped-down "performance" 'wing. ::)
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline MrPepsi

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »

No it won't, it's off by just a little bit. You better preorder a complete set of plastic. Call the paint shop.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »

No it won't, it's off by just a little bit. You better preorder a complete set of plastic. Call the paint shop.

:)) :)) :))     

Hope all is well buddy, been too long since I saw you last!  ;D :beerchug:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »
Yeah but a Uni-Go is pretty pricey plus you'll have to add the trailer hitch.

I scored my Unigo for $1500, $ well spent, it's awesome for hauling all our camping gear, I can't imagine trying to camp (glamp  :truce:) with out it.  :great:

Offline MrPepsi

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 07:07:46 pm »

:)) :)) :))     

Hope all is well buddy, been too long since I saw you last!  ;D :beerchug:

Summer 2018, hope to make a trip up on Razzi, but you may have to ride to Bend to visit us. :)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 10:47:02 pm »
Brent, good to see you posting.
Welcome!!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline MrPepsi

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2017, 01:58:04 am »
I read daily and post occasionally.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline WingCon

• Scooter
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2017, 06:22:10 pm »
This pic was posted on the goldwingdocs.com forum.  It's without the tupperware.  Look independently mounted.  If they'll stop the bike at about 45 deg or so with zero damage like my '03 then that's good.  However, there are NO tip over bars in the rear to protect the saddlebags.  Part of the vaunted weight savings.  Without those rear tip over bars, that's going to be an expensive saddlebag lid replacement, and even worse if aftermarket or OEM comes out with deeper saddlebag lids.  So get on the job aftermarket and get ready to lose some mpg and power/weight ratio.

Aside, looks like I'm going to have to wait years for aftermarket or OEM bag solutions.  Engine, well that's not fixable. I'm not getting any younger, just ask Jay.  Just got my deposit refund from the dealer.  :'(   My '11 Connie had 158HP and got 47mpg two-up after the flash. (Admittedly 150 lbs less.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:45:52 am by WingCon »

2003 Honda Goldwing 1800
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600

Online Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2017, 09:35:44 am »
Have you found the Wing under powered WC? I ride occasionally with a GW; it's always been 2 up for the bikes. He can pass slow moving vehicles on narrow  2 lane roads with very short passing zones. Admittedly; it isn't 160 HP like the K1600GTL but the Wing won't cost $1200 for a service call. I had an 06 Wing whose cruise control was dead on pulling at 75 up a 4 mile hill on PA interstate 80. It did 110 across Kansas where the wind never stops. I was never the fastest bike on the road but I got where I wanted. Knowing Honda, most riders would find the new engine too boring cause it's too smooth. The loss of luggage space though is a crime.

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2017, 04:24:06 pm »
Have you found the Wing under powered WC? I ride occasionally with a GW; it's always been 2 up for the bikes. He can pass slow moving vehicles on narrow  2 lane roads with very short passing zones. Admittedly; it isn't 160 HP like the K1600GTL but the Wing won't cost $1200 for a service call. I had an 06 Wing whose cruise control was dead on pulling at 75 up a 4 mile hill on PA interstate 80. It did 110 across Kansas where the wind never stops. I was never the fastest bike on the road but I got where I wanted. Knowing Honda, most riders would find the new engine too boring cause it's too smooth. The loss of luggage space though is a crime.

I always bristle at hearing crank HP on a shaft bike.  :pokestick: K1600GT/GTL/B = 133hp at the wheel. Makes it seem a whole lot slower, yea?  ;D

*runs away*

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2017, 11:36:35 am »
Well guys I think I've made the decision to go ahead and get one of these, am gonna either sell our 2016 Wing or trade it in, the new 2018 Wings are spose to hit dealers in February, I guess now I just wait and keep reading all the great stuff about them!

https://youtu.be/pQLtH4dFA6M

:)   >:D

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7402
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2017, 07:46:50 pm »
What's old is new... I have the same front end on my 2001 BMW k1200lt. It's a great front end, too, great ride quality, and it doesn't dive when braking. 

Steve
[/quote

The Japanese, being as history shows, probably made significant improvements on it. It’s probably going to be a fantastic bike but it’s way outa my paygrade.

Offline WingCon

• Scooter
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2017, 07:51:59 pm »

Good question.  Have a found it underpowered for touring purposes?  No.  Am I disappointed in what should have been much more thrilling acceleration on solo day rides out with some riding buddies?  Yes.  This day and age I shouldn't need a stable in the garage for different purposes.  That's a dissapointment, but not a show stopper.  Also, what happened to the existing 1800 tip over bars to protect the saddlebags?  (Up goes the weight.)

The saddlebags most definitely are showstoppers.  Soon as someone fixes that, I'm on board.  Deeper lids with deeper liners that won't fall out before you close the deeper lids is what I'm thinking; either OEM or aftermarket.  (Also a trunk rack that covers most of the top of the trunk, not just a little tiny one on the front half of the trunk lid, to be able to strap down a sizable trunk bag.)

Oh, and as one more aside.....  where are the vest power ports ((powerlet/BMW style), that can also be used for a battery tender), and where are the lane intrusion warning flashers on the mirrors?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:50:51 am by WingCon »

2003 Honda Goldwing 1800
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600

Offline WingCon

• Scooter
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2017, 10:52:33 pm »

Congrats Jay!  Please post the final deal if you care to.

Well guys I think I've made the decision to go ahead and get one of these, am gonna either sell our 2016 Wing or trade it in, the new 2018 Wings are spose to hit dealers in February, I guess now I just wait and keep reading all the great stuff about them!

2003 Honda Goldwing 1800
2006 Suzuki GSX- R600

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2017, 01:52:33 am »

Congrats Jay!  Please post the final deal if you care to.

You'll end up getting one too Joe, you just don't know it yet...  ;)  >:D  :)

I think I'm gonna go with the DCT Goldwing in the silver with the blackout and add the Tour trunk with rack and center light, center stand, rider backrest, and foot shifter, comes out to ~$27 on the Honda site accessory calculator. I'd love to get one of the Goldwing Tours but I don't want the chrome and don't want to wait for 2019 when I bet they do a Tour model with the blackout. Doing it this way actually comes out less than the DCT Goldwing Tour but then I have to add install cost, I do lose a couple features doing it this way that I'm ok with to have it blacked out.