Author Topic: 650 Versys  (Read 2231 times)

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
650 Versys
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:00:51 pm »
I am thinking about getting a 650 Versys, Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on one, new or used?
Thanks JD

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 650 Versys
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 01:16:49 pm »
 JD, I have one, a 2015 model, and I got it after SteveJ did all the legwork and determined that it was worth it to get a 15-up LT vs buying the older model. His bike was used, around 10.000 miles, and he paid mid 6's. Mine had 136 miles and I also paid mid 6's. Both LT's.  That kind of sets the price point for you, at least in Fl.

As far as the bike goes... I think it's a total blast. Most fun I've had on a bike in a long time... maybe ever. Power below 4k is non existent, you'll spend most of your time from 5-9k, but the engine is rubber mounted, as are the bars so no big deal. The little engine loves the rpm. Enough power to have fun, but not like it's going to get you in trouble.  The bike is short and loves to turn. Railing on it gives me mid 40's mpg... and I'm always railing on it!  If there's a downside, the bike is really tall, I'm 5'10" / 30 inseam and I can't touch flatfoot. I slid the forks up .600" and put a hyperpro rear spriing that drops the bike 1" in the rear and I STILL can't flatfoot, but almost. BTW that spring was exactly the right thing to do - it makes the rear of the bike work like the front, and it gives a really compliant ride.

Otherwise I haven't done a lot of farkllng yet. I haven't done more than a couple hundred miles / day on it, I still have my bmw k1200lt and my concours 1400 for high miles days, and I haven't had time to get many of those so I ride the versys around town and when I can get out for a little romp. I am looking forward to riding it in the mountains, just not sure about the 500 miles to get there.

So anyways what was the question... where to find one? I think Steve and I both found ours on Craigslist. I'd start there. lots of private party and dealers advertise there. actually both of our bikes came from dealers as trades. You'll usually do better private sale, but the 15/16's aren't showing up private sale to much so trades at dealers would be the common used market. You can probably still find some left over 16's at dealers; I know back in November kawasaki was offering 1k off left over 15's and 500 off left over 16's. So hopefully that will play in your favor.

good luck and happy hunting - steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:12:58 pm »
Friend just bought a 17 650LT for $7800 new.  Ridersville Cycle in Berkely Springs WV.  Fun bike to ride but as said needs to be in the 6-7k range before it wakes up. 

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:03:52 pm »
SiSF pretty well nailed it. Three generations, 08-09, 10-14, 15 and up. The 17 added a gear indicator in the display.  Second gen had some taking and some rubber vibration isolation. Third had a lot of changes aside from styling. Brakes, more vibration isolation, tuning, bigger fuel tank, suspension, relocated foot pegs and some other stuff.

Mine now has over 19,xxx miles on it and the harshness in the rear shock seems to be easing to the point that I will leave it be.   

Mine came somewhat farkled incuding the MaKaw/Givi top box and I've added a bunch more including a Rostra cruise.

One weird thing, the oil change interval is 3500 miles.

Warranty can extend to 6 years if you find one that still is in warranty.

Oh, and do install thread lock on the caliper bolts, none from the factory. 

Seat Concepts makes a frugal DIY seat that rawks. Longest days so far are two 550 mile days. All good.

Happy hunting.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:45:32 am »
Folks thanks for the come backs. About 4 weeks ago i pulled a good one and broke my ankle, and I still have about another 4 weeks before I can start using it. I have a felling the Connie will be to top heavy for me, and it is my left ankle. how is the Versys balanced, and do you all think it would a good bike for a 70 year old with a broke ankle? (PS I still like dragging the pegs, and if you have any ideas I will be gratefully)
Thanks JD   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:48:53 am by JDM »

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:55:37 am »
The Versys is 200lbs lighter to begin with and that's a significant chunk. IF you have a "full" recovery with your ankle, I would expect you would have no issues holding up a Versys.  I'm nearly 68, 5'8", 175 lbs and LOVE my 2014. The Versys doesn't have the weather protection nor quite the luggage capacity (due to the size of the saddlebags) but I really don't miss my Connie (a C10 that I rode for 16+ years) at all. You also have the advantage of having trained yourself to be pro-active in the balance department, e.g. being aware of where/when the likelihood of a tip-over could occur).
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:08:47 am »
Did they put hardware in your ankle for healing JDM? Like pins, screws, plates? If so your ankle will probably feel solid underneath but I wonder how it will like shifting. Someone I used to ride with that also broke the left said they could only take so much up and down with their boot before it was unbearable. First he tried a more powerful bike that allowed him to drive around with only a little engine lugging. Then he found forward controls didn't bother the ankle at all. So he became a pirate! :-[ Every break is different so here's to a complete and swift recovery for you JDM!

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 09:29:45 am »
Did they put hardware in your ankle for healing JDM? Like pins, screws, plates? If so your ankle will probably feel solid underneath but I wonder how it will like shifting. Someone I used to ride with that also broke the left said they could only take so much up and down with their boot before it was unbearable. First he tried a more powerful bike that allowed him to drive around with only a little engine lugging. Then he found forward controls didn't bother the ankle at all. So he became a pirate! :-[ Every break is different so here's to a complete and swift recovery for you JDM!

Diz, I did a number on my ankle, broke all 3 bones. I now have 1 plate and 13 screws. I never thought to much about having trouble shifting, I was more warred about my left leg being my get on, get off leg. I see the Doc. on 7th of June, he should let me know what I can do with the ankle at that time. Wish me luck.
JD   

Offline bruin

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12318
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 05:57:21 pm »
How is the 650 two up? Does it have enough power for long weekends two up loaded with gear? How about the passenger seat, any complaints from the wife? Has anyone tried the 1000, it looks a lot roomier.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »
JDM, you might also look at the 650 Ninja.
Same motor. Seat is closer to the ground.
I know of 1 COGger that has bought one and likes it.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:22:58 pm »
How is the 650 two up? Does it have enough power for long weekends two up loaded with gear? How about the passenger seat, any complaints from the wife? Has anyone tried the 1000, it looks a lot roomier.

Only you can determine if it "has enough power". It is only about a third to a half second slower in a quarter mile than a C-10. Our two up touring days are over but we do do some two up smell the flowers rides. It works for us. And it is a lot quicker than my KLR.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
IBA 19221

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 10:26:41 pm »
The Versys is a significantly smaller machine than a C10. As such it doesn't have the "spread out" space. IMO, 2-up touring for longer than a weekend is doable but won't be as competent as a C10. I use mine for solo touring and general running around. For long 2-up tours, I take my Goldwing.
JIM CULP

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 12:06:36 am »
To follow up on what Ranger Jim said the Wee Strom is about 5-6" longer and could work out better for extended 2 up touring, although the wifey and I do fit fine, if a bit cozy(a good thing) on the Versys.

Check 'em both out.
IBA 19221

Offline bruin

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12318
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 08:29:27 pm »
Thanks for the input. The Connie is going to be hard to replace someday, it does everything well.

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:00 am »

Only you can determine if it "has enough power". It is only about a third to a half second slower in a quarter mile than a C-10. Our two up touring days are over but we do do some two up smell the flowers rides. It works for us. And it is a lot quicker than my KLR.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Steve, have you had it out in the rain? How it for weather protection?
Thanks JD

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 11:18:26 am »
That's the caveat. There are very few bikes that can compare to the C10 for protection. I lived in my MN when I bought the C10, it added two months to the riding season. That being said, I wouldn't go back to a C10. The only negative is chain drive. That has been mostly mitigated with the addition of a Chameleon Plus oiling system.
IBA 19221

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 08:22:14 pm »
I also wouldn't go back to the C10. The ease of handling, improved fuel economy and comfort during the warmer seasons more than make up for the very minor hassle of chain maintenance.
JIM CULP

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:26 pm »
Jim, you have a Wing {Old Rich Man's Connie} for long distance and 2 up.
If you didn't have the Wing, (and wuz young/good looking/poor,, like me) wouldn't you consider another Connie?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:11 pm »
Nope.  SWMBO made it clear that she wouldn't ride on anything less comfortable for here than a 'wing.
JIM CULP

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 11:52:53 pm »
I am trying to post up photos of my new ride. wish me luck.
JD

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 01:08:55 am »
I want to thank all you good Coger folks for your input. I have been doing a lot of soul searching trying to come up with a new ride. About 6 weeks ago I broke my ankle and I am sure the 02 Connie is too much weight for this old ankle. I was looking for something that was lightweight, low to the ground, and simple to work on so I can keep it in top condition. I hoping no one is to offended, but here is my new ride. Gets good fuel mileage but it is not worth a sh__ in the turns even though it has been lowered just a bit. I need help. When I eat beans this thing is turbo charged.
Thanks all, JD
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:31:23 am by JDM »

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 08:53:10 am »
Come equipped with twin discs? Downhill could be scarey with B&M baked bean power Heal up fast and true!

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 01:16:08 pm »
I recommend more beans, less photo's....   :truce:

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)