Author Topic: Big Tex Indian Motorcycle Test Rides in Denton, TX 6/30 and 7/1 2017  (Read 435 times)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Yesterday I received an invitation to go to Big Tex Indian Motorcycle in Denton, TX for a test ride of any model. Very cool. If you live in the D/FW area, you may want to check this out. The test rides begin at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning and finish up by 5:00 PM on Saturday afternoon. I'm thinking about being there by 10:00 AM or so tomorrow morning. I've always admired these motorcycles from when I was a teenager. It will be a hoot to ride one!
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
Re: Big Tex Indian Motorcycle Test Rides in Denton, TX 6/30 and 7/1 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:19:23 am »
I rode to Denton this afternoon and test rode an Indian Roadmaster. Those are gorgeous bikes, but they're made for small people. I was really cramped on the bike. The seating position was not comfortable for me with my feet so far in front and too much pressure on the ole tail bone. I needed the seat to be positioned rearward about three or four inches and higher an inch or two. The handlebars were way too close. I met and talked with another guy, who rides a BMW K1600GTL. He's 6' 3" and also felt cramped on the Roadmaster.

The bike was pretty easy to ride with a nice, low center of gravity. The thing is a torque monster, too. It was fun to nail the throttle in fourth gear at 2,000 RPM and the thing would just pull so hard. The integrated infotainment system and GPS is done very well. It was easy to pair my phone to the audio system via Bluetooth. The 200 watt stereo system even has automatic level control. Nice feature.

Hitting the starter of the bike is very cool. You don't hold the button. You just press and release it and the starter engages as long as it needs to in order to get the engine running. That's very cool.

It was a 95 degree afternoon and the exhaust pipes (which are on the right side of the bike) kept my right leg nice and warm. As long as we kept moving, the heat was not an issue. If we were in stop and go traffic, it would have been a bigger problem.

It was interesting to ride a cruiser. You twist the throttle and it doesn't come "right now" like on a Connie, but it gets there soon enough. We didn't make any sharp turns, so I didn't have any clearance issues while leaning into turns and curves. The ride was smooth and well controlled. It's definitely a quality machine, but just not for me. I'll continue to admire these bikes, but from a distance.

So, for me, this was an exercise in validation. This proved to me that I've already got the best bike for me. The Connie is built for larger people and for that, I'm thankful. It fits me pretty well. When I hit the throttle, it accelerates quickly and "right now". I like that. Gear shifts happen quickly, which I also appreciate. My Baldwin saddle is so much more comfortable than any other I've ridden on. My curiosity was satisfied and I'm glad I had the opportunity to do the test ride.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 10:08:45 am »
Did you ride anything else?  I think the scout is pretty cool.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:26:37 pm »
Nick, no. Just the Roadmaster. I looked at the Scout, but felt it was too small for me to try it.
Jim

2015 Concours 14