Author Topic: Can-Am Spyder  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Grizzly

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8928
  • Membership Level: Active
Can-Am Spyder
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:14:00 am »
http://spyder.brp.com/en-CA/See/Can-Am/Showroom/Discover.htm    I'm still hoping to get my wife off the back and on her own 2 wheels one of these days. But if she never does, I'm thinking of getting her a second hand Spyder (Touring model), once they've depreciated ofcourse. Then she can tow the Roll-A-Home I hope to get one day.       So I'm a dreamer.    
Grizzly  Sk, Canada  '03 FJR 1300
COG #8928   CDA #312   
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline kznny

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9137
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Can-Am Spyder
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:03:00 pm »
My wife is also looking at this - she is comparing it to a used Z3 convertible. I told her either way she will be able to carry most of the luggage on road trips, so it makes no difference to me. I won't buy something that can't lean until I can't lean anymore...  
1983 Yahama XS650 Heritage Special (Sold)
  1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor
  1982 Honda GL500 Silver Wing
  1999 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
  COG-9137 <> CDA-0323

Offline JimT

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 4038
Can-Am Spyder
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:23:00 am »
My Wife and I have just booked a test drive.  I know the day is coming when I will not be able to ride, especially if the wife wants to come with me.  However i am not ready to roll over and stick my legs in the air.  A Mazda MX5 is possible but it is a long way down to get in and out and, since i am over 6' I would have to lower the seats.  A spyder could be a real alternative.  

badinc1

Re: Can-Am Spyder
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:35:59 am »
From what I've read and seen, these are pretty good trikes.
They handle a heck of a lot better than a trike with the two wheels in the rear.
Can-Am has been build quality amchines for years, and was also heavy into road racing motorcycles.
Bobby.

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:53:47 am »
My wife and I did a test drive 2 years ago. We got to do a 15 mile guided ride. It was fun, good power handled kind of like a quad without the leaning. Nice trunk in the front and the news models have larger fairings and windshields. Both the ones we rode had full clutches.

badinc1

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:35:21 am »
And for some reason, they aren't as tippy as the trikes with the two wheels in the rear.
Much, much more stabil in the turns. I like them. If for some reason I couldn't ride a two wheel motorcycle, I'd get one of these.
I think that they look and ride better than a regular style trike.
Kinda like riding a snowmobile on the streets !
LOL !
Bobby.

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:06:38 am »
My wife and her girlfriend had never driven motorcycles before but both loved riding and driving their own ATV's.  Last spring they each purchased 2009 Spyder Rs models with electronic shift.  (SE5's)
Once they got use to them we couldn't get them off of them.  My wife put over 8000 miles on hers last season and has been going crazy this winter wanting to get back on hers.  This in turn not only gets her off the back of my 14, but with her wanting to go riding all the time makes it a WIN WIN for me!!
One thing about the spyders.  Don't expect them to ride or drive like a motorcycle.  They are much more like an ATV.  Very safe and stable with lots of high tech anti roll and abs features.  Totally different than a 2 wheeler but tons of fun.  We even took them to the drags and they ran respectable 14 flats.  My wifes has corbin bags, touring windshield, floorboards, and custom pipe.  Like any other bike you can customize it to your taste. 

Offline mcgillicuty

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8618
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:16:45 am »
Forgive me if i'm wrong (it would be the first time)  but is there a storage compartment in the front, and if full of gear would it make it a bear to handle, or is it something you get use to. I can load a lot of gear on the back of the C14 and still will handle like a dream. Just wondering
08 CONCOURS
09 KLR 650

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:33:48 am »
Forgive me if i'm wrong (it would be the first time)  but is there a storage compartment in the front, and if full of gear would it make it a bear to handle, or is it something you get use to. I can load a lot of gear on the back of the C14 and still will handle like a dream. Just wondering

Although I haven't ridden one. I'm guessing that they took that into account while designing. Besides, it has power steering!