Author Topic: Honda VFR 800 RC79 - 8th gen Interceptor  (Read 3296 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Honda VFR 800 RC79 - 8th gen Interceptor
« on: June 23, 2017, 05:41:04 pm »
I've been trolling these the past couple months while shopping for a new toy, I think I have a deal in place for buying one tomorrow, it's a red 2014 with only 3k miles on it, original owner that ordered it new. It has the deluxe package which includes optional factory heated grips, ABS, traction control that can be turned off, non-linked brakes, and center stand. These weren't great sellers with a MSRP of just under $14k... but the one I think I'm pulling the trigger on tomorrow I'd be getting for less than half that. They are not the fastest 800 out there but will do everything I'm looking for. The tech on this thing is just amazing IMO (especially for a 2014), factory LED headlights, adjustable seat height, rear seat cowl, quick detach side cases and more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEVEiVW26uo

Anyone else on here have one or had one?

I'm excited!   >:D

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:06:19 am by ZG »
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Honda VFR 800 RC79 - 8th gen Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:08:00 pm »
That video didn't say to many positive things about the VFR. You should of kept the C14............. :nananana:

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:19:18 pm »
SWEEEEEET!  🏍💨
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:29:35 pm »
That video didn't say to many positive things about the VFR. You should of kept the C14............. :nananana:

Been there done that with the C14, I like trying new things.  ;D

Plus this will be for just me tooting around, I wanted something lighter, at under 500 lbs it works.  :great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsY_GbE1mhk

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:40:35 pm »
I had gen 1...I guess you'd call it.  it was a honda VF750S (Sabre).  a 1992 version.  even back then that bike was wonderful.  the power delivery of the V-4 is just different than the i-4 or the v-twin.  lots of torque which would suck my eyes into the back of my eye sockets.  I'll always remember that feeling!  LOL

the 800s from what I gather are all around wonderful bikes.  it would certainly be on my list to own one again if looking for that type of option.  more like a gentleman's sport tourer with leans toward sport.  I've seen a number of them outfitted with hard bags and used for ST travel.

Are they still shaft drive, or did they go to chain?  mine was a shaftie.  some jacking, but it was 1982 technology.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 07:56:09 pm »
I had gen 1...I guess you'd call it.  it was a honda VF750S (Sabre).  a 1992 version.  even back then that bike was wonderful.  the power delivery of the V-4 is just different than the i-4 or the v-twin.  lots of torque which would suck my eyes into the back of my eye sockets.  I'll always remember that feeling!  LOL

the 800s from what I gather are all around wonderful bikes.  it would certainly be on my list to own one again if looking for that type of option.  more like a gentleman's sport tourer with leans toward sport.  I've seen a number of them outfitted with hard bags and used for ST travel.

Are they still shaft drive, or did they go to chain?  mine was a shaftie.  some jacking, but it was 1982 technology.

I had one before as well SR, an 06, it was a great bike and Honda bullet-proof but I sold it to buy the ZG because it was too small IMO for 2up loaded, but now that we have the Wing for 2up loaded distance trips I'm wanting to fill the single rider not long distance street void. I love my KTM 500EXC, but it's not great for faster street at and above hwy speeds.

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:26:30 pm »
Agree....2 up would not be it's forte.  makes a good solo ST ride though.  But why not the 1200?  just this deal that popped up?
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »
Agree....2 up would not be it's forte.  makes a good solo ST ride though.  But why not the 1200?  just this deal that popped up?

Not finding any 1200's that check all the boxes for me, found some first year 2010's but I wouldn't want to go older than the 2012 once they started getting them sorted.

Oh and sorry I missed your other question, not shaft drive, they're chain.

Offline Check6

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:47 pm »
I just traded in my 2014 VFR for the Connie last Saturday.  The VFR is a great bike and a blast in the mountains.  However, I couldn't afford both the Connie & the VFR and a Road King in the garage, so something had to go.  The Road King isn't going anywhere by declaration of my spouse!

I wanted the Connie for longer distances and getting some additional IBA rides in before it's time to quit.  Another reason for me to get rid of the VFR is because I have no "Off" switch, even at nearly 60 years old.  The VFR isn't a full up sport bike, but close enough to get me into trouble and once I got started in the mountains with it, I couldn't turn it off.  I'll forever miss it (and my GSXR 1000 of days gone by), but it was time.

You'll enjoy the VFR.  Especially when the VTECH kicks in around 6500 RPM.  Nice little kick in the but, and sounds like a Ferrari when it does it.

Congrats.

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 08:40:52 am »
I had a 100 mile ride 2 years ago. Honda smoothness. Very different from the Connie with handling. The VFR stayed planted but absorbed more of the road. It has plenty of power for 1 rider. Gotta admit I don't get the VTEC thing. The VFR1200 is sweet, love that engine. Went to throttle by wire in 2012, still no cruise control. Insurance on the 2010 VFR 1200 was $200 more per year than my 2012 Connie. Farkles on the 800 expensive?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 11:11:36 am »
I just traded in my 2014 VFR for the Connie last Saturday.  The VFR is a great bike and a blast in the mountains.  However, I couldn't afford both the Connie & the VFR and a Road King in the garage, so something had to go.  The Road King isn't going anywhere by declaration of my spouse!

I wanted the Connie for longer distances and getting some additional IBA rides in before it's time to quit.  Another reason for me to get rid of the VFR is because I have no "Off" switch, even at nearly 60 years old.  The VFR isn't a full up sport bike, but close enough to get me into trouble and once I got started in the mountains with it, I couldn't turn it off.  I'll forever miss it (and my GSXR 1000 of days gone by), but it was time.

You'll enjoy the VFR.  Especially when the VTECH kicks in around 6500 RPM.  Nice little kick in the but, and sounds like a Ferrari when it does it.

Congrats.

Thanks for the post C6, how long did you have your 2014 for? Did you do any mods to it and if so what?

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 11:16:23 am »
Farkles on the 800 expensive?

TBD Diz, TBD...  ;)

I'd be leaning towards minimal things I think on this one, mostly under the covers like either a PCV or reflash, but just haven't got that far yet.

The bike isn't local to me, I'm heading out in the next hour or so to go see it, hopefully it all works out and it comes home in the back of my truck...  :??:

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 11:40:36 am »
Farkles on the 800 expensive?

I'd be leaning towards minimal things I think on this one, mostly under the covers like either a PCV or reflash, but just haven't got that far yet.

Yea right!   :nananana::rotflmao:

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline Check6

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 11:46:42 am »

Congrats.

Thanks for the post C6, how long did you have your 2014 for? Did you do any mods to it and if so what?

I bought the bike last August as a leftover new model.  The only mods I did was to install a Delkevic slip on and a K&N air filter.  As I said, it was a great bike and I'll always miss it, and the only reason I traded it is because I'm planning another Iron Butt ride next month and the Connie fills that role much better.  I'm nearly 60 years old (in fact I'm scheduling my Iron Butt ride for my 60th birthday) and the Honda, although not a punishing riding position, wouldn't work as well for me.

I've owned about 30 bikes over the years and the VFR was one of my favorites.  Also, the dealership where I bought the Connie gave me more for trade in than I paid for it.  Not a lot, but better than you normally get.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 04:55:36 pm »
I've been looking for a smaller/lighter bike to add to the stable too.
Will be keeping an eye on your discussion.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 07:52:28 pm »

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »
ONE picture? Totally out of character for ya brotha! ;)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 08:48:51 pm »
ONE picture? Totally out of character for ya brotha! ;)

:)) :)) :))

Rest stop pic, always love what these rest stop pics represent when you buy a non-local toy and make your way home, good times!  ;D

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »
Made it home and got her unloaded safe and sound, she's bonding with her stable mates now...  ;D  :great:

She sure is small compared to the Wing!  :wee_hee:  :motonoises:

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 09:14:14 am »
Nice pic in the garage! The Waste Management recycling bin behind the KTM begs the question- Are we getting ready for some farkling?  :)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 12:20:12 pm »

Yea right!   :nananana::rotflmao:

Cliff   :beerchug:

:truce:       ;D :beerchug:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
I bought the bike last August as a leftover new model.  The only mods I did was to install a Delkevic slip on and a K&N air filter.  As I said, it was a great bike and I'll always miss it, and the only reason I traded it is because I'm planning another Iron Butt ride next month and the Connie fills that role much better.  I'm nearly 60 years old (in fact I'm scheduling my Iron Butt ride for my 60th birthday) and the Honda, although not a punishing riding position, wouldn't work as well for me.

I've owned about 30 bikes over the years and the VFR was one of my favorites.  Also, the dealership where I bought the Connie gave me more for trade in than I paid for it.  Not a lot, but better than you normally get.

Thx C6 and grats on your Connie, IB ride for the 60th Bday sounds very nice indeed!  :great:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »
I've been looking for a smaller/lighter bike to add to the stable too.
Will be keeping an eye on your discussion.

Ride safe, Ted

Ya you should check these out Ted, I think you'd dig it, lotta tech for the buck. Last night I moved the seat down to the lower position, you can't do this on the fly but it only takes about 5 minutes moving the brackets to the 2nd set of mount holes, wow now I like it even better!  :great: :great:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 12:29:43 pm »
Nice pic in the garage! The Waste Management recycling bin behind the KTM begs the question- Are we getting ready for some farkling?  :)

:)) :)) :))

Ya DZ I think I need to re-org the garage now to make the space more efficient, but I'll find a way to make it work!  ;D

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 02:28:42 pm »
I already found exhaust system, slip-on, windshield, and Power Commander for it..

Glad to help.
    Ride safe, Ted

PS: We're leaving in Aug for an Alaskan cruise. Until then my retirement resources are a bit stretched..
       After I return, I'll be looking again.. Have been considering a 650 Versys, but the VFR seems promising.
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org