Author Topic: My new K1600  (Read 751 times)

Offline Caffeinated

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
My new K1600
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »
Decided I needed a change, and picked up this 2013 K1600GT for a good deal.  Came with a bunch of extra's including extended warranty till 2019, new PR4's, and only 10,900 miles. I'll be putting the 2012 C14 up for sale when I can get some pics. I'll try to sell it as a package, otherwise I'll part out the bits (suspension, seat, etc...) and sell it closer to stock.

Chris
Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 14
2011 Silver Concours 14 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold)

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12344
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: My new K1600
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:44:22 pm »
Congrats!

Ive been considering the same move myself now that the wife is back on the bike again, maybe you can answer a couple questions.

What prompted the change? Do you feel the K bike performs better than the c14? handing, speed? How is the protection when riding in the rain compared to the c14? Have you had a passenger, do they like the K better? How many miles does the new k bike have?

thanks.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:47:40 pm by sc »

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:01:41 pm »
Congrats on the new scoot!   :motonoises:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • COG#: 11650
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:38:09 pm »
That GT is a gorgeous machine, Christopher. Congrats! I'm curious. How tall are you? What position do you prefer the seat to be in, high or low?

I test rode a GTL two years ago and the windshield went up much higher than I needed it to. I was amazed by the height of it. I'm 6' 4".
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline daigs

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12259
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:09:47 pm »
Beautiful bike!   Have fun with it.  I've lusted after one since they came out, same as the C14. I finally got the Concours, 09, in 2013.   

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:33:10 pm »
I really like the engine on that 1600. I flogged the cr@p out one of those for a week.  The brakes are really good and that's where it ended for me
  My C14  (full AreaP -could  easily outrun it on any road  from any roll on speed  and all the way up to top speed. 
A  great bike that 1600..enjoy!
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Bocajnala

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:17 pm »
So... compare the two for us... Obviously the beemer is in a different price class, but how does it compare from a rider standpoint. I've ridden a k1200LT and the heated grips, seat, cruise, and radio were all nice. But I love my C10 for now..
-Jake

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:31:04 am »
Congrats on the new bike and best of luck with it.

I have been following that bike since the concept stage; in- line six motorcycles have always fascinated me and that BMW does seem to be a practical example of one, which is not something that can be said about several others.

Brian

Decided I needed a change, and picked up this 2013 K1600GT for a good deal.  Came with a bunch of extra's including extended warranty till 2019, new PR4's, and only 10,900 miles. I'll be putting the 2012 C14 up for sale when I can get some pics. I'll try to sell it as a package, otherwise I'll part out the bits (suspension, seat, etc...) and sell it closer to stock.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 02:20:28 am »
A good friend of mine bought his K1600 the same day I bought my C14.

He loves everything about it, except one... the seat.
He can last about 2 hours, tops.

Says his options are kinda limited for aftermarket seats, plans to send his out for rework.

Other than that, no complaints.

Curious what the OP has to say...
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 03:50:38 am »
Grat's Chris!  :great: :motonoises:

So what are your thoughts on it so far compared to the Connie?  :popcorn:
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Caffeinated

• Moped
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 07:16:47 pm »
Thanks all...I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. I've only got about 200 mile on the new bike.

What prompted the change?
99% of my riding is commuting. I have ridden a total of around 80K miles between two C14's. My 11 with 25K, and my current 12 with 55K. It is fully setup with Traxxion/Penske, McCruise, Laam seat etc...I never got Steve's flash though (It does have Ghuls). Even after all the upgrades, I still never felt completely comfortable on it. My commute is an hour each way, and I would be worn out by the time I got home. 

I read on one of the forums someone described the bikes this way.
The C14 is a SPORT touring bike, and the K1600GT is a TOURING sport bike.
When you compare the ergo's that make sense.

Do you feel the K bike performs better than the c14? handing, speed?
Speed wise, the power is amazing.  In any gear you can roll on and get gobs of torque. It's sooo smooth...the ride and the power. I'm still getting used to ride-by-wire. The ride modes and ESA are great. being able to change the suspension on the fly is awesome.

How is the protection when riding in the rain compared to the c14?
I've not had the opportunity to ride in the rain yet. But I figure it's as good or better than the C14s protection.  Also, Aeroflow makes a bunch of different wings you can place all along the sides if you are wider etc, or want more wind protection.  The winglets on the sides open up and let in a tone of air in hot weather, but do create turbulence. I opened them up yesterday here in DC since we are the hottest place on earth at the moment  :truce:

Have you had a passenger, do they like the K better?
Not yet, but they should be more comfortable on the K.  both seats are heated  :great:

How many miles does the new k bike have?
Just over 11K at the moment.

How tall are you?
6'1" ish...  long legs.

What position do you prefer the seat to be in, high or low?
High, which only raises up the front of the seat. Stock K in the high position is still too cramped for me and my long legs. I will need to have the seat done to raise me up. I may look at lowering the pegs, but the K looses clearance quickly when lowering the pegs.

As far as seats go, all the major seat makers make seats for the K, but I've learned that having one redone by RDL, Laam, or another is the way to go, and they can be cheaper than a Sargent or Corbin and you get a custom to you seat. I'm leaning towards the RDL sport seat.

At this point, the stock seat and windshield are my only issue, and those in stock form are 100 times better than the stock C14 seat and shield.

I test rode a GTL two years ago and the windshield went up much higher than I needed it to. I was amazed by the height of it. I'm 6' 4".
The GTL has completely different ergo's than the GT. Seats are lower, shields bigger, power bands are different etc. I met a guy the other day who is 6'5" or so, and was able to raise the rear suspension on the K, and had a thick seat pad on top of the seat to raise him up. Only bike I've ever sat on that I had to tip toe.

Overall I really like the K. and the amount of tech and menu's and data available in great. 

Would I buy a new K1600GT from a dealer...hell no! in 2013 the original owner paid $25,875, and only rode it 10K miles in 3.5 years. With the new 2018 models coming out there will be deals on the 12-16's out there.
Chris
Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 14

Offline Pilgrim

• Road Bike
  • '12 Black
  • COG#: 11278
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 07:42:48 pm »

Nice.  Good luck with your new bike!    :beerchug:

Do the hard bags come off like the C14?  Could you please post a pic with them removed?    Thanks.

Offline Caffeinated

• Moped
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 08:09:43 pm »

Nice.  Good luck with your new bike!    :beerchug:

Do the hard bags come off like the C14?  Could you please post a pic with them removed?    Thanks.

Yep. they come off pretty much the same way. You have to use the key to get the handle to pop up and they come off.  I don't plan to ride with them on, just need to get a new tank bag first. I don't ride the C14 with them on either.  The bike has central locking, so one push of the remote button locks the bags and compartments.
Chris
Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 14

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • COG#: 11650
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 01:52:40 am »
Wow, thanks for answering all of our questions, Christopher. That was super nice of you!

Back when I test rode a GTL, I thought the only difference between it and the GT were the trunk. I hadn't done any research on the differences between them. Some journalists I've just read say they're different enough to refer to them as two different motorcycles. I should've ridden a GT a couple of years ago for comparison. The GTL I rode was used.

Again, thanks for telling us so much about your new ride. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12344
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:49:03 am »

Thanks for the info it sounds like we are in the same situation, from April till November my bike is my commuter, about 80 miles per day 80% slab. currently my 2013 is on her 3rd season and just under 38k miles, but I have been watching the pricing on lightly used K bikes come down.

Good luck with the new scoot!