Author Topic: OTHER BIKE PIC THREAD - show us some of your past and current "other" bikes!  (Read 19934 times)

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: OTHER BIKE PIC THREAD - show us some of your past and current "other" bikes!
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2016, 03:30:10 pm »
This has been a favorite thread to go through. Love the old pics and Bergman's 6-shooter maintenance pic.

Brian, the Superwedge is incredible! I mean, really?! When you say 'it worked' - what worked? Smooth air? Great mileage? What were the major advantages?

Ewa loves her MiniZ - I passed plenty of cruisers on the Dragon with this 9hp beauty. Wasn't trying to prove anything, they were just so loud and slow! Had to be embarrassing for them.
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: OTHER BIKE PIC THREAD - show us some of your past and current "other" bikes!
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2016, 05:08:07 pm »
The Superwedge split the wind with ease, very smooth behind the fairing and decent coverage. The best part was the faster you went, the more planted the bike felt. At a buck twenty it was smooth a silk.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Harry76

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11870
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2016, 11:05:04 pm »
Here are my sons and I bikes last fall when we cleaned out the shop.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2016, 04:33:02 am »

:-\ Awesome 👏🏽
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)

Offline Fais

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2016, 04:38:52 am »
The Superwedge split the wind with ease, very smooth behind the fairing and decent coverage. The best part was the faster you went, the more planted the bike felt. At a buck twenty it was smooth a silk.

Nice 👍🏽 If only it had radar proof paint it would be perfect  :))  Sounds like quite the ride.

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2016, 01:36:53 pm »

Nice!  :great:

How do you like that new FZ10? I really want to try one of those out.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
Here's another one of my past bikes, 07 Gixxer 750. After a half dozen years or so away from bikes and into Porsche's the economy took a big dump so I went back to bikes and picked up this little gem with only 300 miles on it, great bike and good times!  :motonoises:

I have this Gixxer (and the economy I guess...) to thank for getting me back on 2 wheels!  :great: :great:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
^^^^Very Nice.... never saw that one.....^^^^^^^

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
^^^^Very Nice.... never saw that one.....^^^^^^^

Thx, I had it for a couple years, I think that was during our hanging out gap...  ;)
Maybe it was cause I was bikeless for a bit...  :??:

Lately I've been trolling for a clean low mile 05 anniversary 750...  :)  >:D

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
Here's another fun one, in the late 90's I did some racing. I drove up to Canada and bought this 95 ZX7, it was already a track bike and had most of what I needed already done to it, I remember coming back into the States with it in the back of my truck, Customs gave me the run around for a couple hours, but I eventually crossed and was on my way. I rattle canned all the bodywork myself, added the Hindle and a couple other things.

Man this thing bike was a blast to rip!  :motonoises:  :great: :great:

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
Dang Jay, just think... all these sweet sportbikes and now you get to go look at a GL1800 in the garage.  :sleepy:..... ;D

Who am I kidding... I own one too. :truce:

Figured I put up another oldie as well...
My first street bike:
1990 Kawasaki ZX-6D.
It had been down and was repainted before I bought it.
Never got the actual name of the paint color but I still love that blue-

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
 Ahh, sweet summer time Wyoming  2007  :motonoises:  :) on the '01 Connie that had 144k mi on it when sold 2015

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
Dang Jay, just think... all these sweet sportbikes and now you get to go look at a GL1800 in the garage.  :sleepy:..... ;D

Who am I kidding... I own one too. :truce:

;D  :beerchug:

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
This is what started it all for me.  From age 10 thru 27, my family owned a pretty large Western Auto store in Tell City, Indiana.  In 74 IIRC, my dad took on the Chaparral line of motorcycles.  I don't know what possessed him to do that, but I was thrilled to say the least.  When they arrived at the store, I was in northern Missouri at my grandparents farm.  I agonized about being on the farm while the bikes were 500 miles away! >:( >:( >:( :'( :'(
I think wholesale on the T100 I bought was about $400.  It topped out at about 35 and was a blast to ride.  There was a "track" that a few kids kinda created in a large open area in town and that's where I spent most of my free time away from school and working at the store after school and on weekends.  Someone has a 71 T100 for sale in Bagdad, Kentucky for $895 on craigslist.  I thought about going to look if only to take some pics and have one of me sitting on it.  Seems like the graphics are different on the 71 than what mine was.  Just can't remember that part.  I'm posting a bit of info someone posted on oldminibikes.com if anyone is interested.

From oldminibikes.com
Chaparral was a company based in Colorado. They were in business from about 1968 though 1974 or so. They were primarily known for their snowmobiles, but did make a few minicycles in the early 70's.

A friend of mine had an 80 cc Chaparral back in the 1972 - 1973 time frame and I rode it many times. At that time, Chaparral called the bike the "Bullet" and it was available with either a Fuji 80 cc two-stroke engine with manual clutch and 4 speed tranny....or the same basic bike with a 172 cc four-stroke Tecumseh engine and torque-convertor. The 80 cc bike model was either an ST80 (dual purpose style, with lights and speedo) or a T80 (same bike, stripped down for off road use). The Tecumseh-powered version was called a T172 (no lights or speedo). I have never seen the 100 cc version, but would guess that it also uses a 100cc Fuji two-stroke engine with manual clutch and either a 4 or 5 speed tranny.

It gets kind of complicated....and I may not be exactly right about this next statement........but from what I remember - Fuji is a large company that made engines.....and there is a link somehow to Hodaka....Hodaka supposedly supplied engines for Yamaguchi motorcycles....Yamaguchi motorcycles were imported into the US by PABATCO beginning in approximately 1961, but Yamaguchi went under in 1963.....and PABATCO decided to continue with their own bikes.....powered by engines sourced by Hodaka.....and ultimately named their bikes Hodaka....thus the reason for the marked similarity between Hodaka and Fuji engines. Fuji is still in business and makes the Subaru automobile and also the Subaru small engines used for power equipment and power sports applications.

So, long story short......the Chapparal bikes were from an American-based snowmobile maufacturer......using Fuji engines.

They have always been one of my favorite bikes. They look great and the engines are simple, dependable and easy to work on. If you need engine parts, you may wish to contact Paul Stannard at Strictly Hodaka (they have a website). He can most likely help you and he runs a top-shelf operation.

2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
Great post Bud!  :great: :great:

Offline Speedy

• Road Bike
Bought myself a little birthday present in November...All off 75 miles on the ODO, if we could just get some decent weather on a Sat or Sun. >:(
2012 Connie - Black is Beautiful! - Current (EVO Flashed)
2015 FZ09 - Matte Grey - Current
2001 CBR 929 RR - Sold
1995 CBR 600 F3 - Sold
1984 VF 700 F - Sold

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1374
OK, I'll play.

I never got a photo of my first bike, but it was a 1972 Kawasaki S2. (350cc 3 cylinder 2 stroke)

My second one - 1977 KZ 650

My next bike was a 1981 Honda GL1100. I can't find a pic of that one either.

The next one was my first Connie. A 1987 wineberry.

The one after that was another Connie. A 1998 fugly green

I couldn't take that green so I repainted it in white...

I was feeling the need for a bit more sportiness, so I added this jewel to the stable... Not sure of the year, but it was a Kaw ZX7. It was fast, but handled like crap. Apparently, it had been crashed and the frame was tweaked just enough to annoy me.

So I replaced that one with this one. A 2000 ZX9

Here they are together...

Here she is decked out in her touring outfit. Yeah, that is Bob Dombrower there behind me on his Triumph.

Next was this beast...

Another one taken with a C14 belonging to Jim Pavlis...

That's it. If I can find a photo of my GL1100 I'll post it, but I have a feeling I don't have any on my photo site and I'd have to scan a hard copy. It might be hard to do since my scanner is on the fritz. 

:motonoises:

Enjoy!

Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Next was this beast...

Yep, that is LARGE!  ;D

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
OK, I'll play.

I never got a photo of my first bike, but it was a 1972 Kawasaki S2. (350cc 3 cylinder 2 stroke)

My second one - 1977 KZ 650

My next bike was a 1981 Honda GL1100. I can't find a pic of that one either.

The next one was my first Connie. A 1987 wineberry.

The one after that was another Connie. A 1998 fugly green

I couldn't take that green so I repainted it in white...

I was feeling the need for a bit more sportiness, so I added this jewel to the stable... Not sure of the year, but it was a Kaw ZX7. It was fast, but handled like crap. Apparently, it had been crashed and the frame was tweaked just enough to annoy me.

So I replaced that one with this one. A 2000 ZX9

Here they are together...

Here she is decked out in her touring outfit. Yeah, that is Bob Dombrower there behind me on his Triumph.

Next was this beast...

Another one taken with a C14 belonging to Jim Pavlis...

That's it. If I can find a photo of my GL1100 I'll post it, but I have a feeling I don't have any on my photo site and I'd have to scan a hard copy. It might be hard to do since my scanner is on the fritz. 

:motonoises:

Enjoy!

:goodpost:  :sign0098:  :great:

Offline Diz

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056

I don't know if I'm more jealous about the bikes or the garage!  :great:

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
The latest two in the stable

KiPass!

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
 Looking back way down into southern OR as we head down into Nevada enroute to Sierra Vista AZ for the back to back AZ UT BDR ride 2014

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2017, 11:55:59 pm »
Who's next.... What have you had or have? 

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2017, 01:39:47 am »
 Having started riding friends bikes since 1960 this was MY first motorcycle in 1966 in Knob Noster MO as a HS sophomore. Honda S90,  65 model year.
 90 cc, 4 spd and loved every hour riding it. Looking back I was working at the Dog N Suds drive in after school.
 Parents to my surprise fronted me the $. Gas wars then had gas 15-19 cents gal.  Making 75 cent hr I could not burn it all! LOL. I would get up two hrs early before school and ride ride ride, to Sedalia and back or Warrensburg.
 One Sat a pal was ridinng his step thru and we came over a hill (dirt riding) met in mid air and broke his big toe and bent my forks. The local machine shop straightened the forks. Pals Mom was mad at me. HA HA

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:43:12 am by danodemotoman »

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1374
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:41 am »
That dude must have had a heck of a big toe to bend a set of forks!    :-\

My dad had a bike like that, but was a 160. It looked identical to yours but with a larger engine. I never did get to ride it, but it planted the seed.

Thanks for sharing, Dan!
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska