Author Topic: OTHER BIKE PIC THREAD - show us some of your past and current "other" bikes!  (Read 10905 times)

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: OTHER BIKE PIC THREAD - show us some of your past and current "other" bikes!
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2017, 11:15:54 pm »
I picked up this V-Strom 1000 to keep the C14 company. Not to mention some back country riding out west this year. Alaska in 2018, did you get that Randy?

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: OTHER BIKE PIC THREAD - show us some of your past and current "other" bikes!
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2017, 11:11:20 am »
Nice bike Cliff!  I'm guessing it has the skinny bags on it so it doesn't suffer from wide azz syndrome.  Givi bags are great......but damn things stick out so far!  My cousin has a 1250 bandit with givi's.  Have ridden that bike in San Francisco with those.  One just better not forget how wide it is back there.  On a different subject, it looks like you have some interesting stuff in your garage!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2017, 12:07:52 pm »
Thanks Bud, those bags will be coming off. There tiny, I'll put something on much larger & useable. Lots of farkles to come.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2017, 03:02:11 pm »
I picked up this V-Strom 1000 to keep the C14 company. Not to mention some back country riding out west this year. Alaska in 2018, did you get that Randy?

Grats on the new toy Cliff!  :beerchug:
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2017, 08:32:01 pm »
That dude must have had a heck of a big toe to bend a set of forks!    :-\

My dad had a bike like that, but was a 160. It looked identical to yours but with a larger engine. I never did get to ride it, but it planted the seed.

Thanks for sharing, Dan!

I had CB160 around 1974. Bought it not running and put a Rocky big bore piston kit in it. I kept up with the 250's.
 BTW, most of my bike photos before 1980 are file pics off the web. That made it easy to do the moto photo album.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2017, 08:50:42 pm »

I'll go Alaska with you in 2018, its on my schedule as a must do anyway. Unless you off-roading...... the trike don't do that well.  :motonoises:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1374
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:01 am »
That dude must have had a heck of a big toe to bend a set of forks!    :-\

My dad had a bike like that, but was a 160. It looked identical to yours but with a larger engine. I never did get to ride it, but it planted the seed.

Thanks for sharing, Dan!

I had CB160 around 1974. Bought it not running and put a Rocky big bore piston kit in it. I kept up with the 250's.
 BTW, most of my bike photos before 1980 are file pics off the web. That made it easy to do the moto photo album.

Yes! That is exactly like the one my dad had, except the front fender was different. The previous owner cut the fender back a little ways for some reason.

Thanks again!
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2017, 11:36:46 pm »

Grats on the new toy Cliff!  :beerchug:

Thanks buddy, it's not a replacement for the C14. Just an option for riding style & some backcountry touring.

I'll go Alaska with you in 2018, its on my schedule as a must do anyway. Unless you off-roading...... the trike don't do that well.  :motonoises:

Planning on some back country & off road. The trike want be up to it.

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
Old thread. I know, I know... but hey Cliff! :s_hi:

Looking for any feedback you may have on that V-Strom 1000.? Likes/dislikes etc-

My dealer still has a new leftover 2014 sitting on the floor & I'm thinking about STEALING it here soon. Literally, price is rediculous-

Same exact bike(desert khaki) except it's the base model, not the "adventure".

I've read pretty much everything I can find on the web and I'm 99% sold on the deal.. just wondering what's your take on it after riding/owning it a while?  :beerchug:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:09:35 am by LakeTrax »

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
Old thread. I know, I know... but hey Cliff! :s_hi:

Looking for any feedback you may have on that V-Strom 1000.? Likes/dislikes etc-

My dealer still has a new leftover 2014 sitting on the floor & I'm thinking about STEALING it here soon. Literally, price is rediculous-

Same exact bike(desert khaki) except it's the base model, not the "adventure".

I've read pretty much everything I can find on the web and I'm 99% sold on the deal.. just wondering what's your take on it after riding/owning it a while?  :beerchug:

Hey LakeTrax, Admittedly I haven't ridden it that much, I've been hung up on hitting 200K on the C14. I've only put around 6,000 miles on it so far. I do like it, it's just a fun bike. Much like riding a really fast Schwinn bicycle.

It's geared slightly high, but on the upside it will cruise 90 mph all day long. Also a easy fix with sprockets. Seat height, bar position all works well for me. I'm even happy with the stock shield. Stock suspension works well, handles good & plenty of power for what it is.

I rode it out to New Mexico to do the NMBDR ride. A couple sections of that trail were all most to much for it, brutally rough, steep & rocky. Overall the bike did great though. 

I did a 700 mile day on it & it wasn't bad. That was with stock seat. Seat is the only thing left to do on it, will get it done this spring. With a good seat those kind of days should be no problem.

I have a trip planned to Alaska & Canada planned for it this year. It should be around 10,000 miles total. Needless to say I'll know more then.

I'll try to get some new pictures posted tonight of it's current state.

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
Thanks for the info man. :great:

All the stuff I wanted to hear really..
Like with most motorcycles, I fully expect to have some trivial personal gripes. Good to know though that most of those, and any mechanical beefs, can be cured with some thoughtful aftermarket bucks. I'm mostly glad to hear that you think the power is acceptable. Really the only thing I've wondered about being disappointed with-
Heading to the dealer tomorrow am and hoping to get it done-  >:D

Good luck if you make the trek up north this year!
I envision doing the same type of trip with it someday if I bring it home-

-Jesse  :beerchug:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735

I have a trip planned to Alaska & Canada planned for it this year. It should be around 10,000 miles total. Needless to say I'll know more then.

Will definitely need a thread to follow along that epic trip Cliff, sounds awesome!  :great:  :popcorn:
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...